• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What letter scheme do you use for 3BLD?

• Speffz

• Something I saw online/from other person (besides speffz)

• Something I created myself

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Unfortunately I came up with my letter scheme before Speffz, and I wasn't willing to change. I tried to talk them into using my letter scheme, but I was unsuccessful. :) Mine is fairly close to Speffz, but I go through the sides of the cube in a different order, and if I remember correctly, obliques are different in Speffz than in my scheme.

If I were learning now, though, I'd definitely use Speffz.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I do faces in the order U F R L B D, CW except for B and D, which are clockwise looking through the cube. I'd probably do Speffz if I was starting over, but I thought I did Speffz to start with and just misunderstood how it works,

WCA
2012BRAS01
Almost Speffz.

I use UF buffer for edges, but I planned to use UB, so I planned all my letter pair images around there being no A. So instead of relearning that, I just call UB C instead of A.

DhruvA

WCA
2015AROR05
I created the scheme myself.
Faces in order- U F L R B D
For each face the letters would go the way reading works (left to right)
So UB is A
UL is B
UR is C
UF is D

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
I do faces in the order U F R L B D, CW except for B and D, which are clockwise looking through the cube. I'd probably do Speffz if I was starting over, but I thought I did Speffz to start with and just misunderstood how it works,
I have a similar story. I quickly read the description of Speffz, thought "that's simple", and started using what I thought was Speffz. I went counter clockwise instead. It means that every second letter is wrong. I could probably easily switch to Speffz, but I don't think it's worth the effort at this stage.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you're looking to choose one, choose Speffz. It makes it easier to converse with others, and there's really no advantage in choosing anything different. The worst thing that can happen is that you don't like one of the letters or you waste a good letter on your buffer, but you're still better off choosing Speffz as a starting point and replacing a couple of letters. Some people use Y in place of X, for example.

Blindsighted

WCA
2015FARI06
I use speffz but sometimes I add letters for X/Y and Q/R for corners. (I do corners with images)
For example, instead of using xo, which isn't an easy pair to come up with an image,(unless you assign an image to it), xo becomes yo. So now it's easy, like yoyo or something. Then for GQ, it becomes GR, so gear or grenade works well.

Edit: This only works for corners tho.
Edit2: Doing Q/Z is probably better.

Last edited:

Alex B71

I start from UBR and end on DFL going down in a clockwise spiral for corners, then for edges it's the same except the pairs of letters are grouped onto the pieces. For example UB is U-A B-B and ending on DL. I don't use any letter for buffers and in the cases where i use the piece from another/floating buffer i memo that cycle(s) visually. I have no plans of trying 4BLD and higher.

joshsailscga

WCA
2014MORR01
Mine is similar to a couple of the other stories in this thread, in that I thought I was learning Speffz but was actually just an idiot. I still go U F L B R D, but my letters start in a different position than normal on each face (off the top of my head I don't remember exactly how Speffz goes). So for DF and UBL buffers using M2/OP, my buffer letters are G/U and A/I/N, respectively.

CarterK

WCA
2015KUCA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Mine is similar to a couple of the other stories in this thread, in that I thought I was learning Speffz but was actually just an idiot. I still go U F L B R D, but my letters start in a different position than normal on each face (off the top of my head I don't remember exactly how Speffz goes). So for DF and UBL buffers using M2/OP, my buffer letters are G/U and A/I/N, respectively.
That isn't Speffz. Speffz is U L F R B D.