• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Proposal: Add Gender Sorting on the WCA Rankings

Should SORT BY GENDER be added to the WCA database? (will NOT create new WR/CR/NR)

• Total voters

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Rowan brought up some really interesting points about exactly how this would encourage more females to pursue cubing, and I really don't think it wouldn't be the same if there were an external link to iWCA.jp on the WCA site instead of actually having the filter implemented there. It'd be much more encouraging to see the rankings directly on the WCA site, specifically on the misc. page.

Of course it could always be implemented as a sort of experiment... But I still don't think the issue is female maintenance (vs. attrition) so much as female acquisition, in which case the list wouldn't help.

bran

WCA
2013IBRA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm pretty sure Feliks has gotten more girls into cubing than any female out there. So, it's not necessary that having a filter for female rankings and making them more publicly known would encourage females to get into cubing. Just my two cents on the topic, don't hate me :p

JKNK

WCA
2014KUMA11
YouTube
Visit Channel
i personally dont care about gender ranking, but i think it may be good idea. I mean it may inspire females to get faster and contribute to the community. Without people like feliks or mats, i wouldn't be able to be as fast i am today. They inspired me to get faster. I think more females would join and get faster with rankings sorted by gender.

rowan

WCA
2014HOLO01
The Github issue regarding this has been bumped which reminds me,

http://iwca.jp is defunct (called it, just saying) does anyone know of a place where you can look at WCA rankings by gender? Thanks in advance.

Hazel

Premium Member
Then someone would get a sex change and screw things up. FAZ: With a little nip/tuck, you could hold both world records...
The post says gender sorting, not sex sorting
I think we should be able to see the rankings of female cubers, but there shouldn't be multiple WR's based on gender since male cubers aren't inherently faster than female ones, it's just that there are MORE male cubers.

cuberkid10

WCA
2010HULL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think we should be able to see the rankings of female cubers, but there shouldn't be multiple WR's based on gender since male cubers aren't inherently faster than female ones, it's just that there are MORE male cubers.
I mean, why do we recognize NR's? Where one lives has no bearing on their speed. Your nationality doesn't make you inherently better or worse than others, yet we still see them as valid records?

M

Malkom

I mean, why do we recognize NR's? Where one lives has no bearing on their speed. Your nationality doesn't make you inherently better or worse than others, yet we still see them as valid records?
The reason i see for NRs (and to some extent CRs) is that is shows who is most likely to win comps in that region. Another way of seeing it is that it also shows who is fastest in your local area, the cubers you meet IRL on a pretty regular basis.
This doesn't really work for huge countries like the US but works perfectly fine in smaller countries like most European countries.