• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

MoYu Weilong GTS V2 Review

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hay everyone!

Today, I had the great honour of testing the MoYu Weilong GTS V2
It's been almost a year since the first one, and honestly, we haven't had a true successor.

There are design flaws in the M3, ChuFeng, and um, the other one.
The Yan was okay, but MoYu's downgraded molds, plastics, and springs REALLY hindered these cubes.

As for the Weilong GTS 2, you're probably only wondering one thing:
Is it good?

The answer is:
it prety gud!

It's basically the linear combination of the Yan 3 with the Weilong GTS
The center skirt has been lowered flush with the bottom, the edge fillets are reduced by 1.5 mm , and the inner radius is approximately the same as the OG weilong.

The pieces are now non-capped, which is a cost saving feature. No longer do they need three component molds that have to interlock, they can just use 2 component molds. I assume this has to do with contracting. As a result, the corners are four piece assembly, and the edges are two piece assembly.

The biggest criticism is the plastic and the spring.
Usually with moyu's recent puzzles, the stickerless is a better grade of plastic, and since I main stickerless, it's good for me. Definitely wait for stickerless.
The spring and core is the same from the Yan, Chufeng, M3

What I did to fix these issues is switch the spring with the OG Weilong springs, and then boron treated the plastic to make it feel soft and buttery, like OG Dayan.

After some basic calculations of magnetic force with 2.40mm of plastic between (1.15mm for edge 1.25 in corner), I magnetised it, and it's pretty good!

If I'm not too busy tonight, I'll post picatures and a video review!

Edit: I've now changed it to MagLev tensions, and I have to say, I feel a little icky about the amount of modifications I've done to this cube, including one that I can't talk about yet ):

It's so modified that like, if you described it to someone from when I started in 2007, they'd think you were joking.

Last edited:

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Looks pretty cool. Informative review.
Do you guys know what the price point will be? 17+
Premium and M versions will be available I presume?

And can we just call it the Weilong V4?

Honestly, V4 makes the most sense to me LOL

The bosses determine price, so I have noooo idea.
I just sit in my own separate section of the building where I make cubes, experiment, and tinker all day.

Premium will be definitely offered, but as for the M, probably only on an ask basis.

Technically, the Yan3 is not available as a magnetic version, but people who ask me directly get a secret password that allows them to get it with all the premium trimmings (magnets, lube, selected stickers applied)
This is because the Yan3 and the GTS V2 M take significantly more time, as well as a different type of magnet, so we can't offer it en masse.

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
When Chris Tran wants to do a review on a cube:
he mods it, dips it in chemicals, magnetizes it, lubes it, measures it, compares it to several other cubes, solves it a bunch of times....

.... then he does the review...all in less than 24 hours.
Yup, the cube review scene roughly has 3 categories.

1) The people take it out the box and do no setup, which is mostly pointless and uninformative.

2) The people that set a cube up and do a few solves and give a reasonable review of what performance to expect from it, which is helpful.

3) Chris Tran, who wonders what the cube will be like if cutting-edge, not yet commercially available modding is applied to it and compares it to similarly modded cubes, so we get to find out what the premium version of the cube will be like several months into the future. Also drops some science and hints of currently unannounced cubes.

Category 3 is very interesting, but I'm also curious about what category 2 has to say.

Reactions: Dom

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
Oh, they changed the piece structure...
I know most people don't really care, but I much prefer caps.

Funny thing here is that this actually does get me excited. I don't care about the cube, I'm sure it's good but it doesn't sound like it's for me. What I'm excited about is the boron treatment, the Teflon lube, magnets, and I never even thought of using MoS2 on the core (though it probably wouldn't be as well suited for GES nuts...).

I'm curious, you ran the numbers to figure out which magnets to use, what's the target force? Probably a trade secret, but most people seem to just say "strong" or "weak" or "average," I've never gotten a number.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yup, the cube review scene roughly has 3 categories.

1) The people take it out the box and do no setup, which is mostly pointless and uninformative.
Not necessarily. Some lazy people like me prefer cubes to be great out of the box because we don't want to spend time setting them up. So performance straight out of the box is one of the things I look for in a review.

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Not necessarily. Some lazy people like me prefer cubes to be great out of the box because we don't want to spend time setting them up. So performance straight out of the box is one of the things I look for in a review.
I get that how a cube performs with no setup is of interest to some people, but I don't think first turns generally give that information. Surely you want to know how it performs after a few dozen solves of breaking in at the very least?

Also, I feel that anyone who takes cubing even remotely seriously should be prepared to do at least minor setup, such as tweaking the tensions and adding their preferred lube (as needed), but I guess I have to admit that's somewhat personal preference. I usually disassemble, clean and lube new cubes before really using them.

I wonder if there's a correlation between typical setup a cuber does and whether they were around when DIY cubes were common. Looking at your join date, I'd guess you started after they mostly died out? I wish they were still a thing, since it would generally save me effort!

A downside of doing it my way is that I'm not great at tensioning so setup takes more effort than it probably should, but I stand by my decision!

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I get that how a cube performs with no setup is of interest to some people, but I don't think first turns generally give that information. Surely you want to know how it performs after a few dozen solves of breaking in at the very least?
Yes I agree. You did say "no setup" not "no turns" :).

I wonder if there's a correlation between typical setup a cuber does and whether they were around when DIY cubes were common. Looking at your join date, I'd guess you started after they mostly died out? I wish they were still a thing, since it would generally save me effort!
I started in the Dayan days and my first few cubes were DIYs. I spent a lot of time setting up because there was no choice if you wanted a decent cube, and I didn't mind, because it was fun and a novelty. These days many cubes are already set up well out of the box, but not always, so it's relevant information in a review, in case the viewer cares. I'm not totally averse to doing setup, but if a cube doesn't need it, that's an advantage to me, so I'm still interested in how good it is out of the box (meaning with its default setup, not first turns).

Anyway, I recently finished tensioning and lubing 20 MBLD cubes to feel exactly the same, so I've exhausted my patience for setting up, for a while :).

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes I agree. You did say "no setup" not "no turns" :).

I started in the Dayan days and my first few cubes were DIYs. I spent a lot of time setting up because there was no choice if you wanted a decent cube, and I didn't mind, because it was fun and a novelty. These days many cubes are already set up well out of the box, but not always, so it's relevant information in a review, in case the viewer cares. I'm not totally averse to doing setup, but if a cube doesn't need it, that's an advantage to me, so I'm still interested in how good it is out of the box (meaning with its default setup, not first turns).

Anyway, I recently finished tensioning and lubing 20 MBLD cubes to feel exactly the same, so I've exhausted my patience for setting up, for a while :).

Awww yeeee, the good old days! These kids will never know the joys of DIY!!

And to everyone else in this thread, thank you!!! You're all so very kind, I appreciate it. I really do just make each and everyone of these videos on the spot and I wish I could give people better quality. I'm so happy that people are watching and listening despite production value!

Abare Killer

Is Moyu Weilong GTS v2 really gonna be a new cube, or is it a prank? I have never heard of such news. Sorry if I crashed the party :)

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Dang, looks really nice! Any idea on release date?

2-3 months, with a potential for sooner!

I thought that was just a made up prank video or somethin, thanks guys.

I'm actually a time traveler from the past, (because time dilation is easier and traveling forward in time is much easier than backwards), so time moves differently for me.

Basically, I rip off all my ideas from a different timeline. For example, in this other timeline, this guy named Humphrey came up with all these things, and I stole it and brought it back to the present. So now I pretend to be Humphrey, and time has made a full circle.

Since these are from a future timeline, there's no news about it yet, and a lot of the things I post seem really crazy.
Like, don't even get me started on the ancient aliens...

Last edited: