• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

kunparekh18

WCA
2013PARE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can anyone guide me on how I should make a magnetic Zhanchi? It's a stickered cube. I want to know what strength of magnets I should use and where exactly I should glue them.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

TheChaiCuber

WCA
2016CHAI03
For those interested in making magnetic megaminxes or magnetic 5x5-7x7 cubes, i urge to you to consider the fact that there is a noticeable amount of weight added to cubes that need that many magnets.

Can anyone guide me on how I should make a magnetic Zhanchi? It's a stickered cube. I want to know what strength of magnets I should use and where exactly I should glue them.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

it should be as straightforward as any other split-piece construction 3x3 magnet tutorial. As for the strength, honestly idk. this is kinda up to the person to decide especially with lesser-tested magnet cubes like a zhanchi.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
For those interested in making magnetic megaminxes or magnetic 5x5-7x7 cubes, i urge to you to consider the fact that there is a noticeable amount of weight added to cubes that need that many magnets.

Noticeable, yes, but you could magnetize a 6x6 or a 7x7 with 144 magnets, which assuming 4x2mm magnets with a density of 7.5g/cm^3 (per Google) is about 27 grams, or between about 11% and 13% of the weight of a modern 6x6 or 7x7. A 5x5 would take 96 magnets, which is 18 grams, or roughly the same percentage. A megaminx would take 120, the only megaminx I can find a weight listed on is the SS Aurora, and that one it works out to 15%.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
For those interested in making magnetic megaminxes or magnetic 5x5-7x7 cubes, i urge to you to consider the fact that there is a noticeable amount of weight added to cubes that need that many magnets
Thus is true but I actually prefer heavier cubed and have added weights to some of my cubes already so I think I'll be fine in this regards

WCA
2014BLOC01

Haven't done a 6 or a 7 yet (that's for next week), but neither of the 5x5s I've magnetized are noticeably heavier, nor is my main mega, though the other one I did is definitely heavier.

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
Is there any difference when magnets are placed 'off center' in a cube? On a GTS it has to be that way because of the piece construction but on a tanglong (which i'm using to practice before magnetising my main cube) i could centralise it if i wanted to. Thoughts?

jaredye

I just had this thought about 4x4. Would it be feasible to use magnets in corner pieces and metals in corner pieces so we don't need to worry about polarity? This way we can reduce the number of magnets by half (if we count the metal pieces as magnets) and thus much lower weight added. The downside is that the attraction is much weaker so we might need to use bigger magnets. Can anyone do the calculation and test if this is feasible?

dskids

WCA
2017SKID01
Anybody know what magnets are in the Cubicle Valk M? I'm thinking about making my own, but I'm really worried I'll spend a bunch of time/money on it and not get the effect I'm looking for. JRCuber did a review of the Cubicle version and the magnet strength seemed perfect for my needs.

jaredye

Anybody know what magnets are in the Cubicle Valk M? I'm thinking about making my own, but I'm really worried I'll spend a bunch of time/money on it and not get the effect I'm looking for. JRCuber did a review of the Cubicle version and the magnet strength seemed perfect for my needs.
I made mine using N35 4x2mm and I feel that's perfect. I suspect you'll find a wide range of magnets to be "perfect", as you can always adjust your turning to the cube.

phreaker

I made mine using N35 4x2mm and I feel that's perfect. I suspect you'll find a wide range of magnets to be "perfect", as you can always adjust your turning to the cube.

Also different people may simply want different feelings from the magnets... We see it with other aspects of cubing... rarely is there "one" answer.

phreaker

Does anyone know where one can get small metal plates, cut to 4-5mm disc shapes? (Or other shapes) That would work well with magnets?

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Does anyone know where one can get small metal plates, cut to 4-5mm disc shapes? (Or other shapes) That would work well with magnets?
Round stock at a hardware or welding supply store, cut short with a chop saw? There would be a lot of waste, but it would be cheap enough to start that would be OK.

phreaker

Alas, I don't have a chop saw.. you are talking to the guy who used blu-tack vs. super glue due to the mess he made with superglue on his last magnetic cube ;).

Honestly, no regrets on using blu tack so far... It allowed me to fix mistakes easily, and it seems to have held up to a weekend's playing around with so far. I'll know more in 1-2 months of course ;).

Fear

Just thought I'd put this here:

n50 magnets in the sv2, lubed with weight 3 = GOOD. Really good.