• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
WCA
2015PEAR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was averaging about 22.5 seconds for the first 30 solves and then about 23 after the next 15 or so, but there were 2 29's, a 30 and a few 26's. I was often going through trying to work out what I could have improved on for some of them though.

I've only been to one competition and I broke my pb in everything except OH which was less than half a second off my PB and 3x3, which still had a better average than what I normally get. I seem to do better at the competition than at home.

But I mean, if I get bad times when I practice, I feel like I am practicing doing something inefficiently. I don't know then if it is still worth practicing. But it sounds like it is according to you. So I will try to keep practicing even when the times are a lot worse than what I normally get.

I just want to try to average sub-10 by the end of the year. I sometimes feel it isn't normal though to get times like 29 if you average about 23 seconds.

Thank you for the advice.
I just wanted to break it to you that improving from 23 seconds to sub 10 in one year is not gonna happen unless you spend hours per day practicing and you just insanely are good at every part of solving the cube.
You could get close and maybe it's just me that's improving slow, i'm at 11 now, a year ago I think I was at 15-18

CubingGenius

I just wanted to break it to you that improving from 23 seconds to sub 10 in one year is not gonna happen unless you spend hours per day practicing and you just insanely are good at every part of solving the cube.
You could get close and maybe it's just me that's improving slow, i'm at 11 now, a year ago I think I was at 15-18

It's more like a goal. I'm not really expecting to average sub-10 by the end of the year, but I do expect to be at least averaging sub 12.

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
It's more like a goal. I'm not really expecting to average sub-10 by the end of the year, but I do expect to be at least averaging sub 12.

I'm impressed by your optimism, and will be interested to watch your progress. There are many people who average 15+ and have been cubing for years. You do realise that progress is exponential rather than linear? Having improved by e.g. 20 seconds in 6 months does not mean that, in another 6 months, you'll be averaging 3 seconds! [emoji6]

Just wanted to chime in with this - from your previous posts, it sounds like you time ALL your solves. You're absolutely right about practicing inefficiency and bad habits, and that will definitely happen if you're timing yourself. Much better to turn off the timer and solve slowly and smoothly. Also read Escher's stickied post about "how to practice", it's pure gold.

Good luck, and happy cubing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CubingGenius

I'm impressed by your optimism, and will be interested to watch your progress. There are many people who average 15+ and have been cubing for years. You do realise that progress is exponential rather than linear? Having improved by e.g. 20 seconds in 6 months does not mean that, in another 6 months, you'll be averaging 3 seconds! [emoji6]

Just wanted to chime in with this - from your previous posts, it sounds like you time ALL your solves. You're absolutely right about practicing inefficiency and bad habits, and that will definitely happen if you're timing yourself. Much better to turn off the timer and solve slowly and smoothly. Also read Escher's stickied post about "how to practice", it's pure gold.

Good luck, and happy cubing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I know the improvement will become slower as I improve more.

Yes, yesterday I was turning slower and focused on looking ahead for my next pair/block and the solves I was able to do this were generally 19-21 seconds compared to 25 seconds. I had done a lot of solves that day though, so I think I was a bit mentally exhausted and was struggling to do it every solve. The inspection for colour neutral ZZ for every solve was also a bit mentally draining.

Thank you for all the helpful information. :)

CubingGenius

Can someone please tell me what finger tricks they would use for these PLLs?

R U R' U R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U2 R U' R'
L' U' L U' L' U' L F L' U' L U L F' L2 U L U2 L' U L

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel

R normal
U normal
R' Normal
U push LUB with left index
R normal
U normal
R' normal
F' right thumb
R normal
U normal
R' normal
U' lefty flick
R' regrip normal
F right index flick UFR
R2 normal- no regrip
U' lefty flick
R' normal
U2 normal
R normal
U' normal
R' normal

I don't do lefty algs so I wouldn't know what feels the most natural. (I would guess the same as the first alg just mirrored for this)

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05

For the right hand:
-Grip normally (zero regrips).
-Left, right, left index fingers for the first 3 Us.
-Right thumb for the next F' and U.
-Lefty U'.
-Right index F.
-Lefty U'.
-Right double flick U2.
-Lefty U'

I do the same with my left, just mirrored.

CubingGenius

R normal
U normal
R' Normal
U push LUB with left index
R normal
U normal
R' normal
F' right thumb
R normal
U normal
R' normal
U' lefty flick
R' regrip normal
F right index flick UFR
R2 normal- no regrip
U' lefty flick
R' normal
U2 normal
R normal
U' normal
R' normal

I don't do lefty algs so I wouldn't know what feels the most natural. (I would guess the same as the first alg just mirrored for this)

For the right hand:
-Grip normally (zero regrips).
-Left, right, left index fingers for the first 3 Us.
-Right thumb for the next F' and U.
-Lefty U'.
-Right index F.
-Lefty U'.
-Right double flick U2.
-Lefty U'

I do the same with my left, just mirrored.

Thank you for the replies. I found a good, regripless way to do it.

Tom Joad

If I just about get sub 20, let's say I can get 19.5 doing an average of 100 solves, then what could I realistically expect my personal best single to be?

CubingGenius

I did an average of 50 just now. The first 15 solves were averaging about 21.5 seconds and all the solves after that averaged about 24 seconds. I think after the first ~15 solves I lost my focus and started frequently getting 28+'s. I can keep a good focus for an avg12 as I just showed, but I can't keep it going past that. How can I train myself to improve this focus so I can get better quality solves for a longer period of time?

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
I did an average of 50 just now. The first 15 solves were averaging about 21.5 seconds and all the solves after that averaged about 24 seconds. I think after the first ~15 solves I lost my focus and started frequently getting 28+'s. I can keep a good focus for an avg12 as I just showed, but I can't keep it going past that. How can I train myself to improve this focus so I can get better quality solves for a longer period of time?
Practise.

Or just take a break.

Dom

WCA
2016DOMI06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree with @shadowslice e but would like to also add something Feliks Zemdegs said in an interview with CrazyBadCuber. When he asked if there was anything besides practice that can help get better times, Feliks said "Practice. Just practice. Practice slow." Feliks also pointed out that you don't need to be timing yourself every solve. Just walk around the house with a cube and solve slowly and pay attention to what you're doing.

CubingGenius

I agree with @shadowslice e but would like to also add something Feliks Zemdegs said in an interview with CrazyBadCuber. When he asked if there was anything besides practice that can help get better times, Feliks said "Practice. Just practice. Practice slow." Feliks also pointed out that you don't need to be timing yourself every solve. Just walk around the house with a cube and solve slowly and pay attention to what you're doing.

Thank you very much for this information. Do you know the youtube video he said this? I would be very interested to watch it.

Reactions: Dom

Loiloiloi

WCA
2016CLAR04
Does anyone know roughly how long EOLS algorithms take? I haven't started to learn them so I don't know how fast they would be with finger tricks.

Edit: what I mean to ask is, if I learned all the EOLS algorithms and practiced them, how quick could I do them?