• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

CJ!

[R U R’ F’] {[R U R’ U’]
[R’ F] [R2 U’ R’] U’}

I dont know what it means mean an algorithm has (R U R' F') and I definitely dont know what { } means

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
I dont know what it means mean an algorithm has (R U R' F') and I definitely dont know what { } means
You can ignore the brackets. They are just grouping the moves into common groups of moves to make it easier to remember. These groups are often called triggers.

The set of moves R U R’ U’ R’ F R2 U’ R’ U’ is in {} because it occurs in several other PLLs so it will help when learning to recognise them as the same.

CJ!

You can ignore the brackets. They are just grouping the moves into common groups of moves to make it easier to remember. These groups are often called triggers.

The set of moves R U R’ U’ R’ F R2 U’ R’ U’ is in {} because it occurs in several other PLLs so it will help when learning to recognise them as the same.
Thankks so much for that tip and it is ironic seeing how i had to sign up on a forum page just to know what it means lol

You just helped me solve a cube for my first time...im freakin out

Reactions: Dom

Cale S

WCA
2014SCHO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
how many sub 7 cubers are there (besides feliks obviously)?

Lucas, Bill, Max, Kian, Patrick, Alex, and probably others (Seung-Hyuk Nahm or Philipp Weyer?) have sub-7 avg100, but that doesn't mean they are all sub-7

If they were actually considered sub-7 they'd probably need to have an official result that fast

Kian and Bill have sub-7 avg1000 though so that might be good enough

Last edited:

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Lucas, Max, Patrick, Alex, and probably others (Seung-Hyuk Nahm or Philipp Weyer?) have sub-7 avg100, but that doesn't mean they are sub-7

If they were actually considered sub-7 they'd probably need to have an official result that fast
I'm not sure alex is sub-7 anymore considering he never practises outside of comps (and frequently not even there) tbh.

Reactions: TDM

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
How many sub-7 cubers are there (besides Feliks obviously)?
Officially, there's 3: Feliks, Sebastian, and Mats.
165 people have official sub-7 singles.
Of course that's subject to change, just current figures.

For unofficial times, who knows. What do you consider sub-7 outside of official results?

EDIT: Fixed number of singles.

Last edited:

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, I fixed it when I saw his correction. I'm still trying to figure out how I got that number, I don't even know where to go to find the total of results rather than people in the first place XP

Results -> Rankings -> Show (drop down menu) ->
-----------------------------------------------100 Persons
-----------------------------------------------1000 Persons
-----------------------------------------------All Persons
-----------------------------------------------By Region
-----------------------------------------------100 Results
-----------------------------------------------1000 Results

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
If I start solving badly in a session, should I take a break for a while?
No, because it's the bad solves combined with the good solves that reflect your true performance. You need to focus on the bad to improve. It should be motivation to change something.

Remember that in a comp, you'll probably feel pressured, uncomfortable, and tired. You probably won't be solving at your best. I think it's best to practice dealing with that at home.

Also, times at home don't count for anything. They never ever make it into the WCA database, so they are absolutely irrelevant. So why does it matter if your average is a couple of seconds worse than what you normally get?

CubingGenius

No, because it's the bad solves combined with the good solves that reflect your true performance. You need to focus on the bad to improve. It should be motivation to change something.

Remember that in a comp, you'll probably feel pressured, uncomfortable, and tired. You probably won't be solving at your best. I think it's best to practice dealing with that at home.

Also, times at home don't count for anything. They never ever make it into the WCA database, so they are absolutely irrelevant. So why does it matter if your average is a couple of seconds worse than what you normally get?

I was averaging about 22.5 seconds for the first 30 solves and then about 23 after the next 15 or so, but there were 2 29's, a 30 and a few 26's. I was often going through trying to work out what I could have improved on for some of them though.

I've only been to one competition and I broke my pb in everything except OH which was less than half a second off my PB and 3x3, which still had a better average than what I normally get. I seem to do better at the competition than at home.

But I mean, if I get bad times when I practice, I feel like I am practicing doing something inefficiently. I don't know then if it is still worth practicing. But it sounds like it is according to you. So I will try to keep practicing even when the times are a lot worse than what I normally get.

I just want to try to average sub-10 by the end of the year. I sometimes feel it isn't normal though to get times like 29 if you average about 23 seconds.

Thank you for the advice.

xyzzy

But I mean, if I get bad times when I practice, I feel like I am practicing doing something inefficiently. I don't know then if it is still worth practicing. But it sounds like it is according to you. So I will try to keep practicing even when the times are a lot worse than what I normally get.

I disagree. It's easy enough to get distracted or fatigued during a long session of solves, and that wouldn't be indicative of a competition setup either. (Unless you're the kind of person who participates in almost every event!) At a comp, you do only five solves per round and there's a long gap between rounds (if there are multiple rounds), which provides plenty of time for you to calm your nerves.

Bad practice is worse than no practice at all. If you feel like your times are consistently getting worse even though you're not getting bad cases (nb: this is subjective), then just take a break. Go do something else for an hour or two.

I sometimes feel it isn't normal though to get times like 29 if you average about 23 seconds.

If that isn't normal, lol.

CubingGenius

I disagree. It's easy enough to get distracted or fatigued during a long session of solves, and that wouldn't be indicative of a competition setup either. (Unless you're the kind of person who participates in almost every event!) At a comp, you do only five solves per round and there's a long gap between rounds (if there are multiple rounds), which provides plenty of time for you to calm your nerves.

Bad practice is worse than no practice at all. If you feel like your times are consistently getting worse even though you're not getting bad cases (nb: this is subjective), then just take a break. Go do something else for an hour or two.

If that isn't normal, lol.

I think I had dinner in between and couldn't look ahead as well when I came back to solving, so that would probably be why.

Thanks for the reply. I won't be worried if I get bad times next time then.