• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

S-0, Designs of the Community (Next Puzzle Announcement!)

What should this new cube be?

• S-0 Quasar

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • S-0 Tempest

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • S-0 Stratus

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • S-0 Air

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

David Jiang

Hi there, I want to get into puzzle designing. What application would be the best for designing a puzzle. How do I design a puzzle. How do I get plastic to mold it. How do I mold it.

Abo

Hi there, I want to get into puzzle designing. What application would be the best for designing a puzzle. How do I design a puzzle. How do I get plastic to mold it. How do I mold it.
Personally when designing and modeling, I like autodesk inventor, mainly because I know how to use it, from school and challenges in robotics and stuff. As for producing puzzles, 3D printing is the best way to produce prototypes, or actual puzzles for a normal person, and molding is really not a commercial activity, so yea.
Unless, you are talking about using sculpting putty for things like mods, then you mold pieces, but by hand and then sanding down

Sion

Shoutout to DGCubes for mentioning us on the recent DIsone Podcast! Your support is heavily appreciated :)

Sion

So! second prototype. much more of a success!

We realized, most flaws are only because it is 3d printed. we hope to get better stuff soon!

Sion

So... I have a few short announcements.

First off, we are now starting a troubleshoot with Qiyi on our designs. I'm not disclosing any info such as mech yet, mainly on QiYi's request and that it is still underdeveloped.

Right now, i'm talking with QiYi so S-0 can actually be a real sub division of the Qiyi Company.

Also, I'm starting to work on an S-0 Skewb, and an S-0 2x2. Again, this is all early stage stuff, and right now i'm brainstorming ideas to share with my team on those puzzles.

I just want to explain what the goal of S-0 is going to be if QiYi accepts S-0. Our goal is to create puzzles with unique mechanisms that push limits and can only be described as daring and innovative. We are experimenting with all sorts of interesting design elements that aren't found on most cubes, and trying to set new trends in the cubing community.

Sion

Well, it's in the early stages. I hopened it has a feeling that is sort of like a hybrid between a guangying and weilong.

Hey Sion, just moved and internet etc. is not fully ready, so sorry I was not able to help out in designing recently. Will get back to you on skype. Also, yeah, progress!

Last edited:

Sion

So everyone!

I think while we're in the middle of adjusting the tempest, we should start making blueprints on other puzzles.

Put a hashtag next to the puzzle you want to see next. If you want to see some non WCA puzzles, Place #NonWCA
in your post.

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
#2x2
Try to design a 2x2 that has equal performance on every layer. Moyu 2x2s have a weird aligning mech, causing opposite layers to perform differently. One side will be slower and will allow for less cornercutting, while the opposite side will be faster and will corner cut more. My theory is that this is what causes 2x2s to be catchy. The locking mech of the dayan is the best one I've seen yet. I suggest that you try something like that, and then develop the specific edge and corner designs from there on. (Smooth feel is also preferred by most cubers).