• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Wisconsin Cubing Group

Yes group or no group

• yes

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • no

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Yeah, and I'm not going to suggest that you shouldn't try to get something going there, but if you want to make it available to more people something in Chicago would pull from everywhere that Kenosha would plus probably northern Indiana and southern Michigan, and possibly along I-80 as far as Iowa.

David Jiang

More competitions in Madison? Pretty much all of the the cubing competitions in Wisconsin are in madison, like around middleton and waunakee. I think a great place to have a cubing competition would be somwhere around the racine/kenosha area, because that would hit a lot of the population of the midwest. This is because its almost the halfway point between 2 high population areas, Chicago and Milwaukee. Not to mention hitting 2 birds with 1 stone, meaning the states of Wisconsin and Illinois.

Speaking of Milwaukee, im surprised there isnt a competition there. If anyone is holding a competition in the milwaukee area, or like Southeast wisconsin, post a thread or let me know :). If I had more time, or I guess impact, I would try to start one up, wouldnt be a bad idea for others.

@One Wheel just gonna tag you here on this one aha
I would host a comp around there, but finding a venue would be harder and depending on how far it is travel may be a little of a hassle. If you can find a venue over there I can host one.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I would host a comp around there, but finding a venue would be harder and depending on how far it is travel may be a little of a hassle. If you can find a venue over there I can host one.

I could almost certainly find a church in Viroqua that could serve as a venue on the west side of the state. Also it's a little out of the way, but I know the Crawford county fair always needs entertainment. It's a nice little country fair, and if somebody else did the work they might jump at the chance for next year. Too late for next week, I'm sure.

RennuR

Mmmkay so basically, what you guys are thinking, is either somewhere by viroqua, which is very close to minnesota, iowa etc.

Or somewhere by the SE part of Wisconsin, where we could hit illinois, possibly indiana, milwaukke, chicago, even madison etc?

EDIT: Also I think somewhere around Janesville would be pretty legit

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I'm in favor of more competitions generally, and a variety of places is good. I'm near Viroqua, so I have a vested interest there. Janesville would be fine, but it's pretty close to Madison. Rockford might split the difference between Madison and Chicago better.

RennuR

I'm in favor of more competitions generally, and a variety of places is good. I'm near Viroqua, so I have a vested interest there. Janesville would be fine, but it's pretty close to Madison. Rockford might split the difference between Madison and Chicago better.

Just looked at some stuff, idk about this, but saw this, seems to be a good place to hit lots of people

https://goo.gl/maps/piTovYicEeG2

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Just looked at some stuff, idk about this, but saw this, seems to be a good place to hit lots of people

https://goo.gl/maps/piTovYicEeG2
That looks like a very good option, probably about as close to all three of Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago as you'll find. It's a little over 3 hours drive from where I live, so whether I could come would depend a lot on the time of year, and just what's going on with my farm. 4x4 with a fairly generous time limit (I could definitely make a 2:15 soft cut, but I could probably make 1:45), scheduled sometime between about 10:00 and 1:00 would be awfully tempting, though ;-). And maybe 6x6 with 8:00/10:00 cuts ;-). I just want to get official averages/means, I know that I don't have a realistic chance of actually winning anytime soon.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I'm not from WI (I live in the STL suburbs) but are any of you guys planning on going to Dixon Fall?

Hadn't noticed that one. Probably not me, though. At 3 1/2 hours it's at the very end of my driving range, I've almost certainly got something else going on that weekend, and the only non- tentative event that I'm really interested in is 6x6 with a hard cut that's about 2 minutes faster than my pb. So yeah, excuses.

Edit: thanks for pointing it out, though.

WCA
2013BARK01
Hadn't noticed that one. Probably not me, though. At 3 1/2 hours it's at the very end of my driving range, I've almost certainly got something else going on that weekend, and the only non- tentative event that I'm really interested in is 6x6 with a hard cut that's about 2 minutes faster than my pb. So yeah, excuses.
I'm not the biggest fan of the events list either, but at least it has my top 2 favorites. I'm kinda annoyed that as soon as a 5:00 cutoff is in my range for 6x6, they make it 4 minutes, and once I can almost get that, it drops to 3:30. lol

RennuR

Lol, yeah way to far for me. Didnt even know that was a thing though. I live in Kenosha, around salem area haha.

So yeah no i aint going to that one

RennuR

But yeah like, I also just noticed how Illinois has absolutely 0 cubing events basically, like what. That place would hit a lot of people, especially illinois which needs some. Any delegates around that area? Or at least by Illinois that could maybe start something there? Over winter could be cool, just throwing ideas out there

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I'm not the biggest fan of the events list either, but at least it has my top 2 favorites. I'm kinda annoyed that as soon as a 5:00 cutoff is in my range for 6x6, they make it 4 minutes, and once I can almost get that, it drops to 3:30. lol

That is frustrating. I suspect what's happening is that as the people who organize competitions themselves get better at cubing gradually lower times seem more reasonable. In March I started working on 4x4 trying to get good enough to make a 1:30 cut. At the time it felt like I could easily make a 2:45 cut, and with years of practice I might make 2:00. Now 1:30 is still pretty far away, but more of my solves are sub -2:00 than sup-2:00, and a 2:00 time limit seems downright reasonable.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Roughly where I was at my first comp lol

Fun fact: I lost 6x6x6 at that one. Only time I have ever lost any event.

That's a good record. I'm signed up for mega in two weeks. I'd be a little surprised if I didn't lose that. I haven't gotten so far as successfully blind solving a 2x2, so it wouldn't shock me to at least tie for last in 3BLD. 35 second 3x3 will hopefully keep me out of last place, and I think I have a good shot of actually making the 2:30 soft cut for feet. My pb is 2:24.88, and I've still got some time to practice and maybe even get a better foot cube than my Rubik's brand. I'm thinking of picking up a Big Sail.

Jhahoua

WCA
2011FERA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That is frustrating. I suspect what's happening is that as the people who organize competitions themselves get better at cubing gradually lower times seem more reasonable. In March I started working on 4x4 trying to get good enough to make a 1:30 cut. At the time it felt like I could easily make a 2:45 cut, and with years of practice I might make 2:00. Now 1:30 is still pretty far away, but more of my solves are sub -2:00 than sup-2:00, and a 2:00 time limit seems downright reasonable.

As an organizer I can tell you good ones are not lowering cutoffs because of personal improvement, we have to lower them because people in general are getting much faster and more people are competing in events and it's necessary to stay on schedule.