• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Wisconsin Cubing Group

Yes group or no group

• yes

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • no

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

David Jiang

Hi everyone,

I was thinking about starting a cubing group in Wisconsin that would meet once every month or so. The venue can change periodically. I wanted to get a rough number for the amount of people who would do this. I can organize everything, but I want to know the amount of people.

Abo

I would be happy to join it, but won't be back in Wisconsin for another 3 weeks

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I'm strongly in favor of more competitions in Wisconsin. I'm not sure if I would take the time for just a casual get-together, at least not on a regular basis. What part of the state are you in? I'm between La Crosse and Prairie du Chien, and in all honesty even for an official competition Madison is a stretch, and anything farther probably isn't going to happen.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
More comps in Madison would be great!

I haven't ever organized a competition, so I don't know how big a deal this is, but I know that Chris Hardwick was the delegate for a few recent comps in Madison, but according to the WCA site he's in GA instead of WI now, and the nearest delegates look to be James Hildreth in Michigan and Shaden Smith in Minnesota.

ShadowyHawk

I haven't ever organized a competition, so I don't know how big a deal this is, but I know that Chris Hardwick was the delegate for a few recent comps in Madison, but according to the WCA site he's in GA instead of WI now, and the nearest delegates look to be James Hildreth in Michigan and Shaden Smith in Minnesota.
An unofficial comp could be an option, at least until WCA Delegate is available.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
An unofficial comp could be an option, at least until WCA Delegate is available.

Technically. At this point I'm really interested in going to an official comp, but I'm not sure that the work necessary to go to any comp is worth it for an unofficial comp. If I have time this winter I might try to get something going on the west side of the state, LaCrosse, or probably Viroqua. Should be able to pull from Madison area, as well as Minneapolis and Iowa. If I do it I would emphasize big cubes with generous time limits, not do 2x2 or Pyra at all, and possibly skip even 3x3.

ShadowyHawk

Technically. At this point I'm really interested in going to an official comp, but I'm not sure that the work necessary to go to any comp is worth it for an unofficial comp. If I have time this winter I might try to get something going on the west side of the state, LaCrosse, or probably Viroqua. Should be able to pull from Madison area, as well as Minneapolis and Iowa. If I do it I would emphasize big cubes with generous time limits, not do 2x2 or Pyra at all, and possibly skip even 3x3.
Big cubes would be cool to have in a comp, but I feel like if you add 3x3 and maybe 2x2 you would draw a lot more competitors in.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Big cubes would be cool to have in a comp, but I feel like if you add 3x3 and maybe 2x2 you would draw a lot more competitors in.

Not to be too cynical about it, but fewer competitors means that we could still stick to a schedule with very generous cutoffs, and people (like me, mostly) who might not otherwise be able to complete an official average could do so. The trick is hitting the right balance so enough people show up but not too many.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I haven't actually signed up yet, but planning on it. I'm really disappointed by no 4x4, but I have a good chance of getting at least a foot single, maybe even a mean if I practice. I've got to learn blind in the next few weeks, too.

RennuR

More competitions in Madison? Pretty much all of the the cubing competitions in Wisconsin are in madison, like around middleton and waunakee. I think a great place to have a cubing competition would be somwhere around the racine/kenosha area, because that would hit a lot of the population of the midwest. This is because its almost the halfway point between 2 high population areas, Chicago and Milwaukee. Not to mention hitting 2 birds with 1 stone, meaning the states of Wisconsin and Illinois.

Speaking of Milwaukee, im surprised there isnt a competition there. If anyone is holding a competition in the milwaukee area, or like Southeast wisconsin, post a thread or let me know :). If I had more time, or I guess impact, I would try to start one up, wouldnt be a bad idea for others.

@One Wheel just gonna tag you here on this one aha

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I'm 3+ hours from Milwaukee, but I think LaCrosse would be great. It's pretty near halfway between Milwaukee and Twin Cities, 2 hours or less from Madison, and reasonably close to a lot of Iowa too. Plus it's only about an hour from me.

RennuR

Mmmm I gotchya. Its close to minnesota, and iowa, but I feel Kenosha/Racine hits more population either way haha.

If I could, I would start something.