• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Kilominx Discussion Thread

Skullush

WCA
2011SAKO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know there's already a thread debating whether this should be an official event, but we should also have a thread to discuss methods, algs, etc. Cause this is a really fun puzzle and there seems to be plenty of interest right now.

It seems like everyone is using generally the same method, this is what I'm doing:
1. Solve one side/layer intuitively (white)
2. Solve an adjacent layer, three pieces (green)
3. Solve a layer adjacent to both the previous two layers, two pieces (purple). Usually done by creating a two-piece bar and inserting it
4. Continue step three in the same direction until one piece remains (yellow, blue layers)
5. Insert the final non-LL corner (red/pink/cream)
6. OLL (16 cases)
7. PLL (3 cases)

I've been using the same colors, but I can see some variation of color neutrality being viable, at least middle layer color neutrality. Also it seems really structured and I'm sure there's a better way to go about this, so maybe you guys solve differently or have some ideas :)

And here are my LL algs. I use the first alg in each list currently.

Hssandwich

WCA
2013SAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Rather than solving a 2x1x1 bar and then inserting it while doing S2L, I usually just solve a corner at a time, which usually just means that there is less intuitive stuff in there. I average about 30 with a PB single of 20.54 :)

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just to add to the list of algs...

For OLL2 on Skullish's doc, I've been using:
[U2] F (R U2 R' U' R U' R') F'
(But I might switch to one of his algs, which are all really nice, as well)

And OLL4 I stuck to the standard mega alg:
[U2'] R U2 R' U R U2 R'

For the PLLs, I'll just copy and paste what I posted to the Older Cubers Discussion:

J-perm Case:
Alg: R2 U2' R2' U' R2 U2' R2'
Description: This is an EP alg from Megaminx. (Same as Skullish)

T-Perm Case:
R2 U2' R2' U' (R2 U R2' U') R2 U2' R2'
Description: This is the "double" version of the above alg.

E-perm Case:
(R U2 R' U' R U' R) U' (R' U2 R U2 R' U R)
Description: Antisune, U', weird sune-like finish. Walker Welch found this on the Mega PLL site. I might prefer the inverse: (R' U' R U2' R' U2' R) U (R' U R' U R U2' R'). Mirror and mirror inverse are all also not bad.

Last edited:

Skullush

WCA
2011SAKO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For OLL2 on Skullish's doc, I've been using:
[U2] F (R U2 R' U' R U' R') F'
(But I might switch to one of his algs, which are all really nice, as well)

Actually I like this more than the rest of the algs on the doc. The x-rotations and D moves aren't too nice despite the low move count. Will switch

And OLL4 I stuck to the standard mega alg:
[U2'] R U2 R' U R U2 R'

I don't know why I never even considered this. I was trying to be cool and use a 3x3 alg :p. Will switch

T-Perm Case:
R2 U2' R2' U' (R2 U R2' U') R2 U2' R2'
Description: This is the "double" version of the above alg.

This is good but personally I prefer the standard T-perm. Timed myself a bit on both and the standard T-perm is a bit faster for me

E-perm Case:
(R U2 R' U' R U' R) U' (R' U2 R U2 R' U R)
Description: Antisune, U', weird sune-like finish. Walker Welch found this on the Mega PLL site. I might prefer the inverse: (R' U' R U2' R' U2' R) U (R' U R' U R U2' R'). Mirror and mirror inverse are all also not bad.

This is pretty good, and I would switch to this but...

E perm: R U' R U R U R' U' R' U' R' U2 R'

This one is awesome. I'm going to go with this one.

I added all the algs posted to far to the doc, for both my personal use and to benefit anyone that might find it. And soon I will add case names. Thanks guys!

Skullush

WCA
2011SAKO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been working on how to recognize PLLs efficiently. A-perm is easy, but at first glance, T-perm and E-perm look indistinguishable unless you actually trace the pieces, which is slow.

I've had to learn opposite colors for megaminx/kilominx. Going around the puzzle, green is first, then pink, then cream, then blue, then orange, then back to green (standard color scheme). I remember this because if you think of pink as red and cream as yellow, then it's actually the colors of a guitar hero controller in order :p

Colors that are "opposite" are just the ones that are non-adjacent (green/cream, blue/pink, etc). T-perms have three adjacent opposites and two adjacent adjacents, so sometimes you can recognize a T-perm by only looking at two sides. E-perms have all opposites, so you'd have to check four sides, which is unfortunate.

I'm sure with practice, opposites can be identified just as quickly as they are on 3x3. I'm not sure if this is relatively common knowledge or if this is used for megaminx PLL, but I've found this helpful so far and maybe others will too

WCA
2013BARK01
var k=function(x){if(x===0){return "";}else{return ""+["U","F","L","R","bL","bR","dL","dR","dbL","dbR","B","D"][Math.floor(12*Math.random())]+["","2","'","2'"][Math.floor(4*Math.random())]+" "+k(x-1)}};var z=k(50);z.substr(0,z.length-1)

Random move scrambler, doesn't even cancel moves xD

e: Javascript

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How to best setup your kilominx? I feel that mine currently is way too locky and uncontrolable.

I loosened mine a bit, and the locking stopped. But it then felt really unstable. To some extent, that's just me not being able to turn all that accurately. I haven't even lubed it yet, for fear of it just getting out of control.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I've been trying color neutrality from the start with mixed results. My PB single is from a non preferred starting side, but I also get some terrible solves too. I just try looking for blocks in inspection, then go with white if nothing obvious pops out at me.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Any chance of Kilominx ZBLL? Assuming I'm not missing anything, it should just be 48 algs, right?

Just from some random experimentation, I've figured out that some cases can be solved with slightly adjusted 3x3 PLLs. Here's an example with the Ja-Perm:
R' U L' U2 R U' R' U' L U' R

And it also works with Ra:
R' U2 R U2' R' F R U R' U' R' F' R2

EDIT: I feel like I must be missing something. According to Ranzha on the Kilominx petition thread, it has 1944 LL states. I think I sort of get why in my head, but the jump from seemingly 48 to nearly 2000 doesn't quite make sense to me. Any chance anyone could explain?

Last edited: