• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Corners first or edges first?

How do you do 3BLD?

• memo corners memo edges solve edges solve corners

Votes: 49 56.3%
  • memo edges memo corners solve corners solve edges

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • memo edges memo corners solve edges solve corners

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • memo corners memo edges solve corners solve edges

Votes: 6 6.9%

• Total voters
D

Daniel Lin

So I heard Noah say that solving edges first(and memoing them last) is better because there are more edges that you can cram into your short term memory than corners.
But a lot of insanely fast people (Maskow, Gianfranco, Ollie) do corners first. Which is better?
I personally solve edges first

ottozing

Platinum Member
WCA
2012MCNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There's also Kaijun who I think does corners first. My best guess is that at a high level, 3BLD memo is so short term that which part of the solve you use audio for doesn't really matter since you're going to be memoing both parts of the solve around the same speed.

For Maskow's case, since he uses math symbols for his letter scheme, maybe using edges short(er) term wouldn't really work?

CyanSandwich

WCA
2013NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
wow that is really cool

How? I don't think its any different.
Personally, I use UF and UBL buffers. Most of my parity cases with edges last involve a slice move setup to an R-perm.
Corners last is a setup to a Y-perm. That's just faster for me.

For M2 edges last, M2 y L2 (T-perm) L2 also seems worse than a Y perm. But I just got that off Zane's video.

Chunjie Shan

WCA
2013SHAN02
I had tried "memo corners memo edges solve corners solve edges", but it's easy to cause DNFs…I think "memo corners memo edges solve corners solve edges" is a suitable method, and I can memo a cube in 8 seconds with this method.

D

Daniel Lin

I had tried "memo corners memo edges solve corners solve edges", but it's easy to cause DNFs…I think "memo corners memo edges solve corners solve edges" is a suitable method, and I can memo a cube in 8 seconds with this method.
Oh that's cool. I don't think many people do it this way though. Most people prefer to solve what they memo last first.

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For the record, I am not insanely fast at 3BLD :)

I have always struggled to do edges first and I have tried to switch on numerous occasions. I always fall down when there are complicated cycle breaks and/or lots of flipped edges. I don't think it makes a huge difference where you start to be honest, but I could be wrong. I'm getting too old for this sh*&.

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why is that worse when you do edges first?

More pieces usually means more cycle breaks are possible, and (for me) working out cycle breaks takes a bit longer and makes me lose my flow. At least with corners, I know that the maximum is 10 targets in the worst possible case for cycle breaks, which is still only 5 letter pairs.

tl;dr - more potential to go wrong with flipped edges, cycle breaks and parity when doing edges quickly with audio at the end. of your memo.

JanW

WCA
2018WANA01
Slightly related question - does anyone flip flipped edges before solving the rest of them?

If I forget to execute something, it's usually a flipped edge. I've considered doing those first, immediately after putting on the blindfold. A single flipped edge can be flipped together with the buffer piece, so this would require one more look to check where the buffer piece is located.

Chunjie Shan

WCA
2013SHAN02
For the record, I am not insanely fast at 3BLD :)

I have always struggled to do edges first and I have tried to switch on numerous occasions. I always fall down when there are complicated cycle breaks and/or lots of flipped edges. I don't think it makes a huge difference where you start to be honest, but I could be wrong. I'm getting too old for this sh*&.
Hi, OF~. I'm a big fan. I think if you choose memo edges first,you may have to make story and so on. I had tried to memo corners with stories and read edges , and solve corners solve edges… It's very strange and it's easy to DNFs…

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
More pieces usually means more cycle breaks are possible, and (for me) working out cycle breaks takes a bit longer and makes me lose my flow. At least with corners, I know that the maximum is 10 targets in the worst possible case for cycle breaks, which is still only 5 letter pairs.
Well yes, to be honest once I hit the second cycle break during edges I know it's unlikely to be a good solve anyway. Flipped edges and twisted corners are where I make most of my mistakes and I tend to screw up edges more as there are more positions to get mixed up. If I executed edges second I suspect I'd make more such mistakes, but I haven't tried it. Any tips for remembering flips and twists would be awesome.

D

Daniel Lin

Slightly related question - does anyone flip flipped edges before solving the rest of them?
I always flip as many edges as I can at the very beginning of execution. Like if two or four edges are flipped I just use an alg right after I finish memoing

If there are three flipped edges I just flip two of them at the beginning and flip the third one with the buffer after I solve all the edges