• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

S-0, Designs of the Community (Next Puzzle Announcement!)

What should this new cube be?

• S-0 Quasar

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • S-0 Tempest

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • S-0 Stratus

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • S-0 Air

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sion

Hello!

I'M currently thinking about designing a new 3x3. I'm still deciding on a name, but i'm thinking of the name of the cube being the "quasar", or if produced by a large company like QiYi, I will call it the Tempest. Here's what i'm thinking, but right now it's just thoughts:

Sidelegnths are 55.5 mm, so it facilitates oh and normal 3x3 solving.

The corner design is squared off, but thin so that it goes over the center. Very round cone like shape inside with no flat edges to stop catching and to make maximum corner cutting with ease.

Edges are very highly sloped and round to decrease friction and contact to help with faster m slices. Internal mechanism sort- of like the qiyi sail , but a little more thick. Torpedoes are diamond shaped and a little thin to help facilitate corner cutting.

Centers like the gans but a little steeper, rounder, and sort-of "gem-like". This allows to maximize reverse to a little over line to line.

If anybody is willing to help me design this puzzle, let me know ASAP. Thank you!

Last edited:

Sion

Sounds pretty cool.
Thanks.
It would grwatly be beneficial if someone can actually design this, because there is a chance that this cube can be made. All I need is for someone that has the resources for ma king this puzzle real.. I tried, but I can't. I don't have the skill to draw this.

Abo

I would love to help by producing CAD and prototyping, but I am not too sure of all that you mean, if you could produce drawings, it would be super helpful

Sion

Okay. I'm currently not sure how to draw it. But this is what I can describe the cube as.

The corner is sort of like the yuexiao, but with no holes and the grooved region is completely round. The way the corners are sloped is like the tornado, but squared off.
The edges are externally like the yuxin (rounded slope shaped) , but the curve is more extreme and steep, sort of lIke the letter v, but with the base of a u. The internals are like the qiyi sail, and sort of based on gothic architecture. The torpedo is a long, diamond shape to help the faces turn much more easily.

The centers are like the gans s caps, but more sloped, roundened, and corners are slightly flattened down, so the corner goes over it easily to facilitate reverse.

As hardware goes, the springs should be like softer dayan aprings. The screws should be Phillips, and the surface flat, although it genuinely doesnt matter.

A fangshI or yuexiao core could work, but again, doesn't matter as much

I hope these comparisons to other mechanisms is helpful :)

Last edited:

Abo

Not necessarily a whole lot right now, I just ordered a yuexiao 2 days ago, if anyone can do a drawing and post it on this thread, and get your confirmation, I could make relatively accurate models and start printing a prototype. Having a close up to look at and see what you mean will help a lot

Knut

WCA
2016PETE11
YouTube
Visit Channel
This actually sounds like a really good design, especially for reverse cutting.
I'd be really interested in helping design it, and I've worked with CAD for a while. I'm also hoping to buy a 3d printer within the next couple months, so it would probably be possible for me to print it out and make revisions. I also have access to a 3d printer through my robotics team, but it's out of filament ATM, although that can be remedied.

Abo

Thanks for that stuff, my order shipped out today, will be here thursday or friday, and i will have a yuexiao, sail, and yuxin to look at to see what you mean, also have an extra moyu core and hardware set, so once im printing, through my high school, i will post pictures and updates, but remember, it is a printed cube so will be scratchy no matter what i imagine.

Knut

WCA
2016PETE11
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for that stuff, my order shipped out today, will be here thursday or friday, and i will have a yuexiao, sail, and yuxin to look at to see what you mean, also have an extra moyu core and hardware set, so once im printing, through my high school, i will post pictures and updates, but remember, it is a printed cube so will be scratchy no matter what i imagine.
Does the printer have the ability to print in ABS? If so then you could do an acetone vapor treatment (not nearly as hard as it sounds) which smooths everything out a lot.

Abo

Does the printer have the ability to print in ABS? If so then you could do an acetone vapor treatment (not nearly as hard as it sounds) which smooths everything out a lot.
I am not positive off the top of my head what type of plastic the printer prints, I'm pretty sure one uses PLA (makerbot) dunno about the other one my school has access to

Sion

One thing, if it is possible to make the edges just a little less pointy externally, please do so.

Sion

Here's a list of pros and cons I have:

Pros:
Insane corner cutting because of internal cone mech
Small size of 55.5 mm makes for a great oh cube
Centers with steep slope and rounded corners make for supreme reverse, possibly moderately past line to line

Cons:
Very low external and internal contact can make the cube too fast for rough turning styles. Heavy lube might fix this.

The large Florian cuts can make the cube floppies than the floppiest floppy cube, though the round internal mech makes it go through turns without locking up.

Abo

Tomorrow I can start basic work on it, dunno how much tho cuz I don't have yuexiao as reference yet

mjm

WCA
2015MAHE01
j6o4j7q8n

Keep in mind that circular stems on the edges stick out further than triangular ones, and might not necessarily facilitate better corner cutting/less catching.

Sion

True, but the image isn't showing.

I kept the edges round to decrease surface contact to make the cube super fast. It will also help with oh solving, as it will be less stress on the hand.

Last edited: