• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Your Cubing Story

Reprobate

It's all YouTube's fault. I was looking at something completely unrelated, but on the right hand bar in recommended videos was one of Feliks' records. I got to watching other videos, and realized that maybe any mortal really could solve a Rubik's cube. I picked one up, and learned from the instructions within a day. It evolved from there, but I am still more of a casual cuber than most people here. I like big cubes, and focused on them more than 3x3, so it's only now I'm learning full PLL for a new challenge. I wouldn't say I have any great achievements. I would guess I am comparatively better on bigger cubes, with a PB of 6:41 on 7x7, 13:45 on 8x8, and 20:42 on 9x9.

WCA
2014HEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I started cubing in mid January 2014. I saw a few people at my school solving them, and I thought it was frickin' awesome that they could solve it (they are still the same speed, about a minute) . So, I went home and went to the store and got one. It came with an instruction booklet with beginner's LBL (cross, FL, SL, top cross, top edges, spam Niklas, spam R' D' R D), and I used that, however I couldn't understand the spam R' D' R D because I didn't know I had to do a U move in between (just rotated). So I would spam Niklas. I finally got it after a day in a half, and could do it in about 5 minutes (due to the spam Niklas) So my friend told me to go on the Rubik's official site, and learn from their tutorial, which was same f2l, and spam F R U R' U' F' until there was a cross on top and then spam Sune to orient the corners and then 3-look PLL. I got down to about 40 seconds with that, and then learned from CBC's intuitive F2L tutorial, and learned full PLL, and the second look of 2-look oll. I then looked into other methods, like Roux:), and Petrus. I didn't understand the tutorial for EO on petrus, because I thought that you could only use RU to fix bad edges *sigh*, but Roux I got. I had my first competition (wiscube) when I was about 30 seconds at home. I went on a limb and bought a YJ Sulong at the comp, and I had a bad average (wasn't used to the speed) and decided to use Roux. I then didn't go to anymore competitions for almost a year where a ended up in the top 20 at the comp, for 3x3, top 25 for 2x2 and top 20 for pyra. I went to another competition and placed 1800 for square-1 single in the world, but didnt break any PB's. So I decided I would learn every OLL, COLL, ZBLL, CMLL, CLL, EG case there was, and beat all of my averages at my next comp. (OLL is almost done:) COLL a little over halfway, ZBLL, I havent really started, I have 4 cases, CMLL, a little over half way, CLL, half way, eg quarter way with eg-1) I know, I'm very naive when it comes to how I think I learn algorithms well. Thanks for reading this giant wall of text :)

FailCuber

WCA
2011CHOI04
I started cubing in early 2008 I was 6 at the time and my new english teacher came in and was solving a Rubik's cube. He could solve it in 25 secs so I was pretty amazed.. So I asked him to teach me and so he teached me how to solve it. I really got into solving cubes so I became sub 25 in a month.. then about a year later I was sub 20.. In 2011 I went to US and went to a cubing comp I was really excited to compete but I messed up :( . I quited cubing for 3 years and on March 2014 I came back to Korea and saw a kid in my class bragging that he was sub 40 and saying he was the World Record holder (liar) I knew it was fake. So I started cubing again and I practised hard to get sub 25 to completely win him. After I stopped him from bragging I kept practising and got a WeiLong then a Aolong v2 then a HuaLong. Now I'm sub 12. :) Thanks for watching my boring story!

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I bought my Rubiks brand in 2009 and in 2012 saw some Videos about them, I tried to learn but I failed. I used to go to a homeschool co-op and one of the classes I took on my last year [Early 2014] was public speaking and one of the other students named Gregory was talking about how to solve a rubiks cube and When I got home I saw my rubiks brand on the shelf (the F2L was done from 2012) and looked up Dan Browns tutorial. Eventually I memorised all the algorithms and In may of last year ordered a speed cube along with a 2x2, 4x4, 5x5, and Megaminx. August of last year is When I took Speedcubing Seriously and the following month joined Speedsolving.com for Issues I was having when I was modding my ss 6x6. After 1.5 years of collecting and solving My 3x3 average Is down to 18 seconds and I almost know full OLL, and 5x5 is my favorite event with an average of ~2:05.

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Talking muffins guide the way. Told me stories of the color cube. How color cube was friendly. Hold the color cube and twist and turn said the muffin. Talking muffin guide the way. Stare into stars, talking muffin commanded. Look into sky, twisty twist color cube. Stars tell you how to twisty twist, talking muffin say. So I listen to star man and star man say how the twisty twist happens. Look down and color cube is same on all the sides. Talking muffin, clap clap his muffin hands. Star man nods at approval. Talking muffin take the color cube again and twisty twist. Star man telling me how to twist. Muffin clap clap with his muffin hands again. Star man exhales. star dust cover the color cube. Star man fly away with talking muffin. They say good bye and tell me that I twisty twist color cube all on my own. I'm scared because star man always tell me how to twisty twist. Talking muffin talks and says. Color cube is friend. color cube will be good. keep twisty twist the color cube talking muffin says because you are star man now. I believe in talking muffin, I start attending competitions for color cube. Always get into final round but not strong enough with old star man telling me how to twisty twist. In heart and in soul, still hear talking muffin even if he gone with star man and I am star man now.

Then I woke up and watched a couple of videos and learned to cube, made tutorial videos, got a bit faster at cubing, started to host a cubing podcast and here I am.

Knut

WCA
2016PETE11
YouTube
Visit Channel
For me it all started when one of my best friends got into slider puzzles. He would always have little 3x3 slider puzzle with him, and would amaze people with his speed. After a while he got a bit bored with them, and one day back in 2012 I saw him with a Rubik's cube. I asked him if he could solve it, but he couldn't at the time. A couple weeks later and he showed me he could solve it in about 2 minutes, and immediately I was intrigued.
That night I went home, dug up an old Rubik's brand cube with pictures of my dad on one side that he had gotten for Christmas one year (still have it) and solved it for the first time that evening. I thought it was pretty neat, but didn't get around to memorizing the LL algs until about a month later. I used the beginner's method for a while, got another Rubik's brand cube, sanded it out a bit and learned a couple of finger tricks. Nearly killed my fingers, but it was cool.
Soon I learned 2 look OLL and started on full PLL, and focused on getting faster, as my friend had still been improving this whole time and was averaging about 35.
For Christmas of 2013 I bought 2 stickerless Zhanchi's, gave one to my friend and we both improved quite a bit. Still kept competing against him for who was fastest.
Around that time I got a little bored of CFOP, so I learned Petrus (ish, eo confused me), and soon after Roux. Both seemed pretty cool, but eventually I got back to CFOP and in the next couple months I got down to averaging about 24. (although somehow I got a PB of 14.40!?!)
About a year ago I got bored with CFOP again, and since Roux seemed really fun I took up the challenge and tried it for a while. Got down to about 35, but then school started back up and I dropped cubing for a while. I still solved every now and then, (still kept racing my friend who had also had less time for it and averaged about 25) but I didn't do it that often.
Then at the beginning of this summer when school and robotics season (<-- that's what really ate up my life :p ) came to a close I picked up the cube again. I used CFOP for about a week, but then went back to Roux as it was so much more fun. Over the summer I learned a ton about block building, learned several CMLLs, and I currently average about 21.5. A couple weeks ago I broke my 14.40 CFOP PB with a 14.12, and officially decided I was faster with Roux. In the last week I've broken that PB four times, and now have it down to 13.55, with a couple of sub 20 averages.
SUB 20 HERE I COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow that was long.

camcuber

WCA
2008BROW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My fascination with cubing began during my 6th grade track day. Some kid had a cube and we all took turns messing with it. We were all trying our best to solve it but couldn't get more than a few matching stickers on each side. Shortly after that I watched the Pursuit of Happiness and when I saw Will Smith solve the cube I told my mom that I wanted to be able to do that. The next day after school she picked me up and had a cube waiting for me in the car! From there I learned the beginners method from some website called chess and poker that had algorithms that didn't even work so I had to hope that I wouldn't get certain cases. After perfecting the beginners method and getting it down to a little over a minute, a friend of mine that learned the cube alongside me found the Fridrich method. After learning all of my F2L, OLL and PLL cases my times quickly fell to the low 20's. I had my first competition in 2008 at the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana, CA and I broke my pb with an 18 second single! A year later, I decided to open up SpeedCubeShop and continued to practice cubing. Present day, I have a 7.62 official that I am very proud of :)

WayneMigraine

WCA
2015BUCK01
Talking muffins guide the way. Told me stories of the color cube. How color cube was friendly. Hold the color cube and twist and turn said the muffin. Talking muffin guide the way. Stare into stars, talking muffin commanded. Look into sky, twisty twist color cube. Stars tell you how to twisty twist, talking muffin say. So I listen to star man and star man say how the twisty twist happens. Look down and color cube is same on all the sides. Talking muffin, clap clap his muffin hands. Star man nods at approval. Talking muffin take the color cube again and twisty twist. Star man telling me how to twist. Muffin clap clap with his muffin hands again. Star man exhales. star dust cover the color cube. Star man fly away with talking muffin. They say good bye and tell me that I twisty twist color cube all on my own. I'm scared because star man always tell me how to twisty twist. Talking muffin talks and says. Color cube is friend. color cube will be good. keep twisty twist the color cube talking muffin says because you are star man now. I believe in talking muffin, I start attending competitions for color cube. Always get into final round but not strong enough with old star man telling me how to twisty twist. In heart and in soul, still hear talking muffin even if he gone with star man and I am star man now.

Then I woke up and watched a couple of videos and learned to cube, made tutorial videos, got a bit faster at cubing, started to host a cubing podcast and here I am.

Same. Except for the part about hosting a podcast.

MartyMcFly

About a year ago, I was at my Dad's friend's cottage and he had a Rubik's cube. I played with it for a couple ours and finally learned how to solve one side (not correctly though :)). The following week I saw a speed cuber at camp doing it quickly while in the splits and it inspired my friend to begin solving it. He taught me how to do one side properly and I was pretty satisfied with my self. A couple months later he lost interest in it and asked if I wanted his cube,and I said sure. The cube was in pretty bad shape (missing 3-4 stickers) and it made it hard to understand tutorials. I went to Wall Mart and bought a brand new cube. After a few days of replaying tutorials and writing down LBL algs I solved it. I flipped out and showed everybody n my family the solved cube. Slowly, I began to solve the cube faster and I started timing my self. My initial times were around two and half minutes and I was determined to get under 2m. I went online and like the noob I was believed that the only manufacturer of cubes was Rubik's. I bought the Rubik's speed cube and a 2x2. After about 4 weeks (yes 4) I finally received the two cubes. I was amazed at how much better the 3x3 turned and I got my times down to about 1m 45s. I began to learn how to solve the 2x2 and my times were around 50s. About 2 months went by and I began to plateau. After b beginning to watch cube related videos on YouTube I learned that there were much better cubes than my Rubik's brand. I went online and ordered a Dayan stickerless 2x2, stickerless 3x3 (Zhanchi), and a MF8/Dayan 4x4. I tracked those cubes everyday online until they finally arrived on my doorstep. I was thrilled at how well the 2x2 and 3x3 preformed and I dropped my 3x3 times to 1m 20s. My 2x2 times also improved to around 20s. After a couple of months I slowed down my solves per day unitil I was solving probally once a day. After months of minimal cubing and began to to become more and more interested in cubing. I watched endless cubing videos by CrazyBadCuber, Felix, JRCuber, etc. During this time I aquired a Shengshou 3x3 (Auroa), 5x5, Pyraminx, and a Z-Cube 2x2x3. I have even started my own YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgqm7XIqXhDr0L16FF3pkQQ). My times have drastically improved as I have learned 4ll and my version of F2L (40s avg). The most improved time is 2x2 in which I practice so much (50-75 solves a day). Currently I have a regular 7s (3.25 single pb) avg. This might seem really long and drawn out but I doesn't matter because I had a lot of fun writing it! :D

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
About a year ago, I was at my Dad's friend's cottage and he had a Rubik's cube. I played with it for a couple ours and finally learned how to solve one side (not correctly though :)). The following week I saw a speed cuber at camp doing it quickly while in the splits and it inspired my friend to begin solving it. He taught me how to do one side properly and I was pretty satisfied with my self. A couple months later he lost interest in it and asked if I wanted his cube,and I said sure. The cube was in pretty bad shape (missing 3-4 stickers) and it made it hard to understand tutorials. I went to Wall Mart and bought a brand new cube. After a few days of replaying tutorials and writing down LBL algs I solved it. I flipped out and showed everybody n my family the solved cube. Slowly, I began to solve the cube faster and I started timing my self. My initial times were around two and half minutes and I was determined to get under 2m. I went online and like the noob I was believed that the only manufacturer of cubes was Rubik's. I bought the Rubik's speed cube and a 2x2. After about 4 weeks (yes 4) I finally received the two cubes. I was amazed at how much better the 3x3 turned and I got my times down to about 1m 45s. I began to learn how to solve the 2x2 and my times were around 50s. About 2 months went by and I began to plateau. After b beginning to watch cube related videos on YouTube I learned that there were much better cubes than my Rubik's brand. I went online and ordered a Dayan stickerless 2x2, stickerless 3x3 (Zhanchi), and a MF8/Dayan 4x4. I tracked those cubes everyday online until they finally arrived on my doorstep. I was thrilled at how well the 2x2 and 3x3 preformed and I dropped my 3x3 times to 1m 20s. My 2x2 times also improved to around 20s. After a couple of months I slowed down my solves per day unitil I was solving probally once a day. After months of minimal cubing and began to to become more and more interested in cubing. I watched endless cubing videos by CrazyBadCuber, Felix, JRCuber, etc. During this time I aquired a Shengshou 3x3 (Auroa), 5x5, Pyraminx, and a Z-Cube 2x2x3. I have even started my own YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgqm7XIqXhDr0L16FF3pkQQ). My times have drastically improved as I have learned 4ll and my version of F2L (40s avg). The most improved time is 2x2 in which I practice so much (50-75 solves a day). Currently I have a regular 7s (3.25 single pb) avg. This might seem really long and drawn out but I doesn't matter because I had a lot of fun writing it! :D

cool! where in canada are you from?

DanielTuttle

I first solved a cube 3 years ago, within a few days I could average at about a 1:30 or so. After about 4 months I averaged at 45 seconds. I didnt cube very much back then. After that I quit cubing 2 years later a british guy came to my school, he got me back into cubing and I averaged 38 seconds, but sadly he moved away 5 months later. I was sad and quit cubing. About 8 months later I started again. This is now, I just got back into cubing and am learning all my plls, I need to learn 3 more. I average 30 seconds and cant wait to get better and be a part of the community. This time I wont quit.

jamessorsona

It all started October 2013 when there was a Rubik's Cube competition at school by our Math club. At that time, I thought rubik's cubes were a waste of time and didn't even bother to learn beginner's method. So the day of the competition came, I was just there sitting and watching people solve 3x3s at around 45s. Then the evening that day, I looked up the world record then saw a 5.55 by Mats. Then I thought to myself "Wow, I would like to be one of those and join future comps in school to impress people". So the next day, my classmate thought me the beginner's method. I learned in about a week then I averaged around 40s. I knew I can do better, so I looked up the next advanced method, CFOP. Then it became a steady progression, I averaged around 20-25s. Then just last year I won our school's rubik's cube comp.
I am proud to say that I, the person who once thought rubik's cubes were pointless and a waste of time, is now holding the school record and is the fastest among everybody in our school. Seriously, I am the only one who averages around 12-15s today. I know some schoolmates who devotes their time practicing and learning, and they've done that for almost 5 years now. I didn't even believe I was gonna beat them all in just under 2 years. Just 2 years ago, I was nub and didn't know anything about rubik's cubes.

WongBob

My mom was pregnant with my little bro three years ago, and I had to go live at a friend's house for a few days while she was going into labor. It was like 2 am in the morning and we were just staying up being bored and all, when he suddenly asked me if I knew how to solve a Rubik's cube. I said I didn't and he showed me a really fast solve at ~40 seconds. I was like no way bro, I can do that too. So the next day he "taught" me how to solve a cube. His method of teaching was something like this: "So basically just make a white cross thingy on one side and then fill in the corners and then fill in the edges and then work some magic and ur done." So I kept playing around wiht the cube until I figured out how to solve the first layer, which took me something an hour or so. Then I took another 2 hours trying to figure out how the heck you solve the edges. Eventually I got it. I looked up some last layer algs online and succesfully solved a 3x3 for first time. Over the next month, I perfected my beginner's method down to around 35 seconds, which was faster than my friend already. When I found out about CFOP, I freaked and learned intuitive F2L in a day. I also learned 4-look last layer over the next 2 days. After a week of practicing, I had my first half-decent PB of 22 seconds. I stopped cubing for like 2.5 years, and started up again 6 months ago. I started casually just solving for fun over the next 3 months, but when summer hit, I finished up all the PLL algs. After a month of practicing, I was averaging ~25 easy. From then till now, which is about 2 months, I have not cubed so heavily, and only average about 20 flat. This year I'll be super busy with SATs and stuff, so I won't be improving much till next summer. But when next summer hits, I'll be reaching for that sub 10! Also, I started a Cubing Club in my school, so maybe I will improve a bit over this school year. Hopefully will be sub 15 avg when the year is over!

Isaac Lai

WCA
2015LAII01
Although I technically only started speedcubing a year (and one day) ago, I kind of knew how to solve it before.

In November 2012, I showed up early for a friend's birthday party. He happened to have a a cube lying around. So we went onto the Rubik's website (Don't learn from there, the U perms are terrible) and after 45 minutes, we had a solved cube in front of us. After I went home, I dug out my old, rusty and unsolved Rubik's brand from the toy box, and proceeded to solve it with the solution from the Rubik's website in front of me.

However, after that, I found Feliks' 5.66 WR on Youtube and thought to myself, "I'll never be able to do that." So I felt content with having my Rubik’s brand sitting there solved in the toy box.

But in early 2013, my classmate brought a cube to school, and he knew how to solve it. I remembered what had happened the year before, and memorised the algorithms from the guide. I then brought my cube to school and showed him that I too was capable of solving it. Eventually, a few of us learnt to solve it. However, this only lasted for less than a week. That year happened to be the year where we would be taking our Primary School Leaving Examination (a super high-stakes exam to decide which secondary school you go to), and we were all busy studying for it.

But yet again, in August last year, my friend (from a new school, so he had no idea that I could solve a cube) happened to bring one of those crappy keychain cubes to school. I borrowed it from him and solved it for him. He was mesmerised, so much so that it got confiscated by our teacher because he was playing with it during class. The teacher said that he would have to write a 500 word reflection about paying attention in class to get it back. Well, it kinda backfired because my friend decided that it was not worth it, and bought a YJ Chi/Su/Yulong from a toy store. He brought it to school, and I was amazed at how much better it was than my Rubik's brand. So after doing a bit of research (but probably not enough, since I didn't come across any Moyu cubes), I bought a Dayan Zhanchi from a local toy store on 6 September 2014.

And so, I was hooked. After my exams ended in October, I cubed a lot. I also bought a Skewb and Pyraminx in November.

On 2 January 2015, I finally broke the sub-30 barrier. I was quite happy with this, but it spurred me to get faster. I also learnt Sarah's Intermediate for skewb and keyhole for pyraminx.
I attended my first and only (why does Singapore only have one comp a year:() competition in early February. I wasn't too satisfied with my results (Pyra DNF average, stupid 3x3 average), but at least I placed 5th in skewb and got a nice 3x3 and skewb single. I also bought a Dayan 2x2, a Mini Aolong and a Mini Aosu at the comp.

After seeing how close I was to podiuming in skewb, I started spamming skewb practice, getting down to a global sub 5.5 average. However, I realised that I had kind of neglected 3x3. So I started practising 3x3 again and broke the sub-20 barrier in April this year. In early May, I took a week-long break to focus on my exams (didn't do too well though).

My mid-year exams ended soon after, and so once again I started practicing. I got a Square-1 (which I still can't solve without instructions) and Megaminx. This time, I also started practising 2x2, 4x4 and mega. In addition, I polished up on 1-flip (pyra) and Ortega (2x2), and also learnt Sarah's advanced (skewb) and Oka (Pyra). After spamming practice in June, I was sub-3 on 2x2, sub-15 on 3x3, sub-1:30 on 4x4, sub-5 on skewb and sub-5 on pyra.

Since then, I still practise quite actively, but not quite as much as in June since it's the school term. However, I did get my Gans 356 in July and it is absolutely amazing. I also started OH and BLD but I'm still not that good. Now isn't a good time to practise BLD because I am so slow, making BLD very time consuming. Also, to maintain my speed in all events, I started doing the weekly comps.

As my end of year exams are coming, I'll be cubing less. But once they're over in October, it's practice time:)

PBs

Iggy

WCA
2012SEVE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In November 2009, my friends decided to bring their cubes (really badly kept ones, some stickers were missing) to school. Most of them could solve a face, but I couldn't. This made me frustrated lol, so I went back home and messed around with my Rubik's brand until I finally solved a side. After that, I decided to learn how to solve the entire cube, so I went online and checked out some tutorials. After a few days, I solved it, and became obsessed with it :D I got down to around 1:30 with the beginners method I think, until I came across a video talking about F2L somewhere around mid 2010. I decided to learn F2L, and this brought me down to a 1:00 average. I was quite happy with where I was at that time, so I didn't really expect to improve or anything. I also got a 4x4 and a 5x5 (pretty bad ones) and learnt how to solve them. However, I started losing interest in cubing later that year due to an important exam I had that year. I tried getting back to cubing at around late 2010, but a center piece in my cube broke :p I did occasionally do big cubes though

In around April 2011, I got a new 3x3, a bj one lol, but I was happy with it. I started improving a lot over the next few months, I got down to sub 30 by around July. I then started watching a lot of fast cubers like Feliks, Nakaji and Erik (funny how I didn't find out about them before). Like almost everyone else, I was amazed at Feliks' 5.66 :p Soon after, I found out about the WCA and found out that Malaysia hosts comps sometimes. I didn't ever think of competing though :p

In early 2012, I was approaching sub 20 with full PLL and a few OLLs I think. I was still using my crappy cube though :p I decided to try to persuade my mother to get me a Zhanchi and a bunch of other speedcubes, and surprisingly she didn't mind getting them for me lol. Not long after getting these cubes, I checked the WCA and found out that there was going to be a competition in Malaysia in April. My mother said she was okay with bringing me to the comp, so I went to my first comp ever ;) At that comp, I somehow managed to win Magic, and this made me want to get good at it. I got my first Master Magic after that comp and with some practice, I became one of the fastest Malaysians at it. I started aiming for the NR, but I never got it, I failed all 4 rounds I competed in :p

After the removal of Magics was announced in July 2012, I decided to start focusing on another event, so I chose Pyraminx. I learnt a bunch of top-first methods and practiced a lot. I also started practicing Clock after realising how easy it is to get to sub 10. The Clock NRs back then were kinda crappy, so I thought getting the NRs wouldn't be too hard :p In November 2012, I decided to learn BLD. I tried learning it before that, but I gave up thinking it was too hard. After getting my first success, I started improving a lot. By January 2013, I was sub 6 at Pyra, almost sub 10 at Clock and sub 2 at 3BLD. At a comp later that month, I broke my first 2 NRs (for Clock) and missed the Pyraminx NR average by 0.01 :p After that comp, I started practicing BLD a lot. I got my first sub 1 single in February and my first sub 41.58 (NR at that time) in May. Of course, this made me start aiming for the 3BLD NR, but there weren't any comps at that time so I couldn't compete. I had also started big BLD and multi, but I mainly did 3BLD so it was my best BLD event. By September 2013, I was averaging sub 9 on Clock, sub 5 on Pyra and around 5:30 for 4BLD. I went to a comp in Singapore and failed most of my solves :p

After the comp, I started doing more 5BLD. In November 2013, I got my first sub AsR, and this gave me the motivation to aim for the AsR. I started improving a lot, until I got down to around 8:00 in February 2014. At that time I averaged around 4:00 on 4BLD. I went to Singapore Open 2014 wanting to get the 5BLD AsR and the 4BLD NR. I ended up DNFing 5BLD, but I did really well in 4BLD! At that time, 3:09.91 was only my 2nd sub 3:10 :p I was in shock when that happened lol. Being just one rank below Ollie was amazing :p

I continued to practice BLD after that. In July 2014, I organised Melaka Open with the help of my parents. I managed to break the 5BLD AsR, but it was slow so I was pretty disappointed lol. I also got a 19/21 MBLD, but that was also disappointing because it was just 3 minutes slower than the AsR. 21 cubes in 57 minutes is also kinda slow for me. After that, I wanted to aim for a WR, but I just didn't have the patience or mood to intensively practice like how I once did :p

Along the way I practiced many other events, up to the point where I became the most all rounded Malaysian cuber :p I'm even aproaching sub 10 on 3x3, something I never thought would happen lol. It's interesting how in 2012 I was known as the nub who only did magic, and now I'm known as the guy who's pretty decent at every event :D (by Malaysian cubers anyway)

So yeah that's my story. It's almost been 6 years since I started and I'm still obsessed with it ;)

mDiPalma

2006, learned snyder method 1 (aka LBL)
2010, got an F2. was mad impressed. got an AV. learned F2L+PLL
2011, learned columns first. horrible. Captain's Cove 2011 was first comp. saw dan cohen and bruce
2012, zz, some more cubes. comps.
2013, started cube club at college
2014, petrus/heise/snyder, bought a moyu cube
2015, keep forgetting to register for comps