• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer Megaminx Question Thread

iamashelf

So i have a stickerless dayan megaminx with ridges, and i have lubed it, tensioned it, broke it in, and done tons of solves on it. However, it still doesnt turn great. It is locky and actually rather slow. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Berd

WCA
2014LONG06
YouTube
Visit Channel
So i have a stickerless dayan megaminx with ridges, and i have lubed it, tensioned it, broke it in, and done tons of solves on it. However, it still doesnt turn great. It is locky and actually rather slow. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My Dayan was like that; I used 50K on the pieces and it became a lot smoother. You can try messing with the tensions again too.

iamashelf

I have a stickerless dayan megaminx with ridges, and i love how it turns. However, the darkngreen side turns significantly worse than the rest of the megaminx, i have already checked the screws, and they are all perfectly straight. Anyone have any idea why one side is awful while the rest is fantastic?

Berd

WCA
2014LONG06
YouTube
Visit Channel

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
I got my Dayan megaminx awhile ago and have been trying to solve it. I can get to LL and then use Josh's guide (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...2D6PWkl-dQ2hh30AA&sig2=QZBRAlkvHLkC450H4SlpxQ)
The guide is good but u do not get the Dfr part. What direction do you turn D (Dfr) if you want to move it prime?

Basic face rotations are:
normal= clockwise motion
prime (')= anticlockwise

https://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/3x3x3_notation- wiki page on standard western notation
https://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/Megaminx_notation- wiki page on Megaminx notation

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Maybe this should go on the "What cube should I get?" forum but, as it is about Megaminx I decided it can go here as well.

I bought a YJ Yuhu Megaminx in black and I think I made a mistake. I always get black cubes and put my preferred sticker shades on them but with Mega there are so many colours that I don't think there are "preferred sticker shades" to put on it any more. Also the stickers are very small and not very well placed... and already starting to peel.

The mistake... I should have gotten a stickerless one. Now I'm thinking between a stickerless Dayan with ridges or a stickerless Yuhu. Any recommendations or should I just re-sticker the black Yuhu?

Isaac Lai

WCA
2015LAII01
Maybe this should go on the "What cube should I get?" forum but, as it is about Megaminx I decided it can go here as well.

I bought a YJ Yuhu Megaminx in black and I think I made a mistake. I always get black cubes and put my preferred sticker shades on them but with Mega there are so many colours that I don't think there are "preferred sticker shades" to put on it any more. Also the stickers are very small and not very well placed... and already starting to peel.

The mistake... I should have gotten a stickerless one. Now I'm thinking between a stickerless Dayan with ridges or a stickerless Yuhu. Any recommendations or should I just re-sticker the black Yuhu?

After seeing Nicolas Naing's video I think a shemgshou could potentially be better (but you'll have to mod like crazy)

WCA
2014BLOC01
But would you go for a stickerless one or do you see some advantage in a stickered Mega?

My stickerless yuhu sucks, and I've done 200+ solves on it. I like my stickered ones better because I use a weird scheme (and because Shengshou doesn't come in stickerless), but also because both the dayan (with work) and shengshou are better.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
My stickerless yuhu sucks, and I've done 200+ solves on it. I like my stickered ones better because I use a weird scheme (and because Shengshou doesn't come in stickerless), but also because both the dayan (with work) and shengshou are better.

I think I'll stick to my stickered one then, thanks! :)
I guess I'll have to order a sticker set soon.

Every once in a while I hear people say that it's very important to have a set order that you solve pieces in on the minx. At the moment I solve S2L Bálint style and just do the blocks in whatever order I spot the pieces in--should I start using a fixed order for the blocks? What about the F2L pairs (both the first F2L and the ones that go between the blocks in S2L)?

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was considering buying a ShengShou Megaminx and mod it. I always use black plastic puzzles but I have seen that the black and white ShengShou Megas have the colour scheme reversed or so it seems on the photos in LighTake. And the scheme in the black one is reversed with respect to the Yuhu scheme.

I mean, around white, clockwise there comes red, blue, yellow, purple and dark green, while in the Yuhu and in the white-base ShengShou it's the same but counter-clockwise.

Is that correct or are these photos wrong? I am already too bad at Mega so as to have to cope with changing colour schemes.

I was planning on buying a SS because I have started to solve the Yuhu a bit more and I really hate the way the faces misalign while you manipulate it and create all sorts of locking issues and even solving failures. It's really annoying.

Isaac Lai

WCA
2015LAII01
I was considering buying a ShengShou Megaminx and mod it. I always use black plastic puzzles but I have seen that the black and white ShengShou Megas have the colour scheme reversed or so it seems on the photos in LighTake. And the scheme in the black one is reversed with respect to the Yuhu scheme.

I mean, around white, clockwise there comes red, blue, yellow, purple and dark green, while in the Yuhu and in the white-base ShengShou it's the same but counter-clockwise.

Is that correct or are these photos wrong? I am already too bad at Mega so as to have to cope with changing colour schemes.

I was planning on buying a SS because I have started to solve the Yuhu a bit more and I really hate the way the faces misalign while you manipulate it and create all sorts of locking issues and even solving failures. It's really annoying.

IIRC, in Louis' and maybe Odder's unboxing, they said that there was an initial mixup in terms of stickering. I'd expect the colour scheme problem should be rectified by now, since those unboxings were done in early 2013. I am also planning on getting one because my Dayan broke.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
IIRC, in Louis' and maybe Odder's unboxing, they said that there was an initial mixup in terms of stickering. I'd expect the colour scheme problem should be rectified by now, since those unboxings were done in early 2013. I am also planning on getting one because my Dayan broke.

It's strange they stickered the black ones wrong and the white ones right but anything is possible. But what is most sure is that I cannot stand the instability of the Yuhu any more and the Dayan is too expensive for just an occasional Mega solver so I guess I could even stand an unmodded SS, as long as it is stable, even if it does not corner cut at all. And, those much bigger stickers will surely help find the edge pieces. I think half the time it takes me solve the Yuhu is spent searching for edge pìeces.

EDIT: What I don't really get is why SS does not build a new Mega with the shapes of a modded one. It should not be difficult at all for them and they'd sell thousands even if they charge 50% more than for the current one.

Isaac Lai

WCA
2015LAII01
EDIT: What I don't really get is why SS does not build a new Mega with the shapes of a modded one. It should not be difficult at all for them and they'd sell thousands even if they charge 50% more than for the current one.

Yeah I agree. Just got my SS, and it's turning is almost on par with that of my Dayan out of the box, but corner cutting is literally non existent.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah I agree. Just got my SS, and it's turning is almost on par with that of my Dayan out of the box, but corner cutting is literally non existent.

How about the sticker scheme? Is it okay and is the base in black plastic? Just to be sure before I order mine. Does it need loosening up a bit and lubing? Anyway, my lockups with the Yuhu come more from unintended misalignment of other layers that lack of corner cutting. TBH my Yuhu does not corner cut that great (but yeah, it corner cuts to some degree but inverse is nonexistent)