• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer 2x2x2 Question Thread

Note

WCA
2014LUCI02
*gets into 2x2 but notices it doesn't have its own One-Answer Question Thread* ._.

Could anyone explain how they fingertrick this alg: R2 U' B2 U2 R2 U' R2? I always get a little stuck on the B2.. Also, are there any videos showing this alg preformed? ..Also, what Sub-X should I aim for after learning Ortega?

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Could anyone explain how they fingertrick this alg: R2 U' B2 U2 R2 U' R2? I always get a little stuck on the B2.. Also, are there any videos showing this alg preformed? ..Also, what Sub-X should I aim for after learning Ortega?
I do it like a U2 double flick. I'll try to upload a video (should be ~5 mins).

E: video:

Aim for whatever you want. I'd say sub-5 is good, then move on to learning CLL. Really, you should be learning random easy CLLs occasionally, as they can come in very useful for forcing better PBLs.

Last edited by a moderator:
WCA
2012PATE01
*gets into 2x2 but notices it doesn't have its own One-Answer Question Thread* ._.

i like this alg better: R2 U' R2 U2 F2 U' R2

Note

WCA
2014LUCI02
i like this alg better: R2 U' R2 U2 F2 U' R2

..Yeah.. Like TDM mentioned, the R2 U' B2 might be better due to not having to preform a y2.. Nice idea though.. :)

Is it worth learning algs for upside down PBL cases instead of doing a z2, Like if there's a diagonal swap on top and a bar on the bottom?

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is it worth learning algs for upside down PBL cases instead of doing a z2, Like if there's a diagonal swap on top and a bar on the bottom?
It depends on the case, and it depends on the other algs you're learning. It could be faster to do the rotation and then the normal alg.

For the case you mentioned, the normal alg is so fast for me, and the alternative alg R U' R' U' R' F2 U' R U R isn't that fast, so I'd probably rotate.
For other cases, like R' U L' U' R2 U' R' U2 R U', the alg is fast enough that it'd be worth learning.

Caddyswag

Is it a good idea to learn eg1 before cll?? The reason im asking this is because Im not the best at making efficient layers.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is it a good idea to learn eg1 before cll?? The reason im asking this is because Im not the best at making efficient layers.
No. You probably know a quarter of CLL already, and you can go up to learning 15-20 CLLs in almost no time, because they could just be e.g. mirroring an alg, or using a 3x3 alg on a 2x2. You probably know no EG-1s at the moment, and the algs are quite different to most of what you know already. Practise your layers and try to make them more efficient. After you've done lots of layers you'll start to notice cancellations and you'll get the same layer case happening quite often, meaning you won't really have to think much. Also, make sure you're colour neutral; it's easy on 2x2 and more useful than on almost any other puzzle. Jayden McNeill has a video explaining how he makes layers here that's worth watching.

cbxsn

WCA
2014SOHB01
How much practice would it take to get to the point where you can easily one look 6 move faces/layers comfortably in the inspection time (around 10s or less)?

Note

WCA
2014LUCI02
How much practice would it take to get to the point where you can easily one look 6 move faces/layers comfortably in the inspection time (around 10s or less)?

Possibly a lot.. Try and go watch a few example solves to see how others make the first face..
-----
Is there a certain trick/exercise to improve OLL/PBL recognition?

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Possibly a lot.. Try and go watch a few example solves to see how others make the first face..
-----
Is there a certain trick/exercise to improve OLL/PBL recognition?
For PBL recognition, I look for (all of this is talking about in the same layer btw) two opposite stickers that are next to each other (e.g. if FUR and FUL are orange and red). Then look at the other face you can see that's adjacent to it, e.g. the R face. If the two colours on it are adjacent (e.g. RUF and RUB are blue and red), then you have an adjacent swap of the two opposite colours, so here there's an adjacent swap on F. If the two colours are opposite (e.g. RUF and RUB are blue and green), then you have a diagonal swap.

You can use this for both layers to determine what PBL you have without rotations. However, it's also useful to be able to look at which CLL case you have just before you execute your OLL; it's easy to know when you're going to permute the top layer and when you're going to get a diagonal face, so the other ones are just all adjacent swaps, meaning you only need to look for the adjacent face. That way you only need to look at the bottom face's permutation, and with a bit of practise you should be able to plan that in inspection, meaning you can actually know what PBL you're going to get before you start OLL.

I suck at explaining clearly

Note

WCA
2014LUCI02
... I seem to have this problem of not being confident in my Ortega facebuilding. What I mean by that is that sometimes I look at the pieces I'm using to build a face, without looking ahead for the incoming OLL. (Also the same for 3x3 CFOP when I do cross and F2L) Could this be what separates improvement and mindless solves or is there something else I'm doing wrong?

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
... I seem to have this problem of not being confident in my Ortega facebuilding. What I mean by that is that sometimes I look at the pieces I'm using to build a face, without looking ahead for the incoming OLL. (Also the same for 3x3 CFOP when I do cross and F2L) Could this be what separates improvement and mindless solves or is there something else I'm doing wrong?
It does take some time to get confident with your face building, but once you've practised enough you should be able to 1-look every face case immediately, because you've seen them all enough times before. If you get a case that you're confident with, then instead of looking ahead, try to see what OLL you're going to get in inspection. I can still only do this for short faces (<=3 moves), but it can be very useful. I find it really hard to look ahead to the OLL, unless I can plan it in inspection, in which case I don't need to lookahead. Looking ahead into OLL isn't going to be as useful (or even as easy in many cases) as planning it in inspection.

What I did to help with this: I did the 4219.5 marathon thing. Or, I tried, but qqTimer started deleting times after a few thousand, so I gave up. But by forcing myself to do a few thousand solves, I had to do a lot of faces, so it didn't take long for me to be confident with pretty much every case that had at least one 1x2 bar, which is what you get at least 90% of the time. Now, when I do 2x2 practise, if the face is short enough (4 or fewer moves) I take as much time as I need to inspect to plan OLL. Gradually, planning the OLL takes less and less time, and you can do it in 15 seconds.