• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Speedsolving.com Members by Location List

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I created a Wiki page where you can add your username and Speedsolving.com profile to the list, so we can get a little compilation of where members are at in your state. Check it out here:
http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/Forum_cubers_by_location

I made a general template where it will be sorted by continents, but feel free to arrange it however you think it will work out best. I've only added the US so far, so please add your country/territories as needed. When adding yourself to the list, please post your Speedsolving.com username and a link to your Speedsolving.com profile so people can contact you. If you have any questions, ask.

In order to edit the page, you will need to register at the Wiki, then simply login and edit.

Last edited:

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can I list myself under 2 different locations? I go to school in Philadelphia, but I am in Kansas City for about 4 and a half months out of the year(summer and winter breaks).

EDIT: yes you can. I shouldve tried before asking...

Last edited:

Athefre

While laying in bed this morning I was planning to make a topic about finding how many members here are from NC. What a coincidence.

I already knew about Chris, so how many other people will add their name?

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I added New Zealand and Australia under Oceania, but I don't know how to get an extra space between the last state of America, and the title for Oceania, so it is hard to find the gap. If someone that knows how to do that were to go ahead and do so it'd be jolly nice of them.

While I'm here I may as well add some more continents and random countries.

EDIT: Now that the countries are there, people have to go and put there names there!

(lol at Antarctica. I wonder if anyone cubes there?)

Last edited:

Bryan

Premium Member
WCA
2007LOGA01
I've been having the idea of having a website solely dedicated to finding speedcubers by location for the sole purpose of organizing competitions. But this is a nice start.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I've been having the idea of having a website solely dedicated to finding speedcubers by location for the sole purpose of organizing competitions. But this is a nice start.
Yeah, I was thinking the same actually. It would definitely be nice to have a central area where you can find cubers by region. I've messed around with some Google Maps plugins which would allow members of Speedsolving.com to enter their location on the map, but I haven't been satisfied with any that are out there and don't have the time right now to code one. Hopefully this will be a good start to work off of.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Do people think we should put cities as well? I just wonder, because with America and some other countries you can break the country into states or provinces, but for New Zealand and probably most European countries there isn't such a breakdown, so cities might be more appropriate?

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Do people think we should put cities as well? I just wonder, because with America and some other countries you can break the country into states or provinces, but for New Zealand and probably most European countries there isn't such a breakdown, so cities might be more appropriate?

agreed. this is necessary even for america, canada, etc I think. Since I am in Philadelphia, it would do me a lot more good to know about cubers in northern jersey or southeast NY, which are ~2 hours away instead of people on the other side of PA who are 5-6 hours away.

The google map thing you mentioned where people mark their location seems like a great idea.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok then, cities it is. When you add yourself from now on put your city! And if you've already put yourself in, add your city! I'll do it for me and Mr. Mayn.

EDIT: Actually, I won't change his one, for his own privacy, he can add it himself if he wishes.
I made the city title one size smaller than states (5x "=")

Last edited:

Kenneth

Not Alot
WCA
2005GUST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I got a better idéa, use your user pages in the wiki to put all kinds of information about you and your cubing (images and everything). Then we only need to add categorys for diffrent lists. Like "Usr:Forums", "Usr:3x3", "Usr:3x3:OH" and so on, the prefix "Usr:" is there to make those categorys diffrent from the usual wiki categorys (to avoid name conflicts). I can do some work to my page as an example. I put an "edit" and a link here when I'm done =)

Kenneth

Not Alot
WCA
2005GUST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
OK, I made a quick job to put up some example tags. I have now included this to my user page (Here):

{{Usr:Forums}}
{{Usr:3x3|SNG=sub 20 sec|AVE=27.xx}}
{{Usr:3x3 OH|SNG=39.xx|AVE=55 secs}}

It's little work to make more templates for more events. And it is of course possible to make them look better than in this example. The templates lists users in category pages having the same namnes as the templates.

EDIT: I remade the "Forums" tag so it also includes a link to your page, like this:

{{Usr:Forums|LINK=http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/member.php?u=479}}

Last edited:

Kenneth

Not Alot
WCA
2005GUST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice Stefan, I had compleatly forgotten about that map :)

To put an external link to a page in the wiki just do this:

[URL linktext]

Compare to an internal wiki link, it looks like this:

[[Pagename|linktext]] or like this [[Speedsolve]]s if you only like to make the end diffrent from the page name (in this case plural).

----
Now I put the link at top of the page and I also removed that horribly large table of contents. If you liked it and want it back, then just remove the __NOTOC__ tag.

EDIT: Now I also made 4 more "Usr" categorys, 2x2, 4x4, 5x5 and 3x3 BLD.

BTW: if you don't like to put these templates to your page but still like to show up at the category pages, then just put a [[Category:Usr:3x3]] (or Usr:2x2, Usr:3x3 OH and so on) at your page (else these links are automaticly added if you add a template because I embedded the links in them).

If my idéa is not that good or if anyone has got something better? Maybe it is pretty OK but can be done better?? I'm open for discussions. That because else the next thing would be to make the templates look a lot better. But that is a lot of work and I don't like to do that if this is not something that will come to use.

Last edited:

Kenneth

Not Alot
WCA
2005GUST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I made some changes to the "Usr"-templates. look at my page.

I remade the forums tag so it now takes the parameter ID instead of LINK, that was the full link to your user page here at the forums, now it only needs the user ID-mumber, like this:

{{Usr:Forums|ID=479}} ... 479 is my page.

I also included a field for multi in the BLD tag and made all templates using a fixed width.

Then, at my page I placed the templates in a table to make it look better.

---
EDIT: Now I also added one for Pyraminx, I will make more later, Square 1 and so...

Last edited: