• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubiks Survey! World Statistics!

TheresZombies

Ever wanted to know the average age people were when they got their first Rubik's Cube? Ever wanted to know the what people look for when buying a cube, or their favorite cube? Probably not, but lets go ahead and find out!

This is a survey that I created to try and gather (hopefully) worldwide statistics about the usage of the 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube. This is purely for fun and entertainment, but also to just have the knowledge of all this information out there for the world of cubers to see.

The Link
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1K3h6SMlXorF5IeB7TRybFkma-QnGekYnFUYK9ax-b7w/viewform

I would encourage all of you to fill out this survey, it should only take you about 5 minutes or less to complete!

After filling it out, feel free to click the view responses button and see how everyone else has responded! The more people that answer, the more interesting the data will become. Please share this with friends as well, as it will help the results grow!

Link to the results
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1K3h6SMlXorF5IeB7TRybFkma-QnGekYnFUYK9ax-b7w/viewanalytics

Link to SpreadSheet of Data
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjT3gF2A_e_FdE1KRXR1dk9qTVF3Q3lMNW13UlEwTkE#gid=0

THANKS!

Last edited:

JasonK

Premium Member
WCA
2011KILB01
Why are the PB options the same for BLD as they are for 2H and OH?

3x3 goes from new-solver to ultrafast, while BLD goes from fast to completely impossible.

TheresZombies

I always see things about "oh well this method is the most popular, and this cube is what everyone uses" but I just wanted to actually be able to see for myself and share this with the rest of the world. Maybe cube companies could use something like this when they go to make a cube and determine what people want.

I'll change that!

Why are the PB options the same for BLD as they are for 2H and OH?

3x3 goes from new-solver to ultrafast, while BLD goes from fast to completely impossible.

Times have been adjusted for BLD

Last edited by a moderator:

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why not ask for actual singles and averages rather than just ranges? That data would be more interesting. Also, what do I enter if I've never done an OH solve?

You should also ask when each person started speedcubing. If I got my first cube in 1982 it doesn't mean I've been cubing 31 years.

In the results, the second and third things looked for isn't very interesting because the data is connected. Maybe score these like 3 for first, 2 for second, 1 for third and show a single chart combining these (as well as the "most important" chart).

There are lots more interesting things you could ask, like hours of practice, competition participation, sticker preference, lube preference, DIY or preassembled, tension preference, splits or weakest stage, etc.

TheresZombies

Why not ask for actual singles and averages rather than just ranges? That data would be more interesting. Also, what do I enter if I've never done an OH solve?

You should also ask when each person started speedcubing. If I got my first cube in 1982 it doesn't mean I've been cubing 31 years.

In the results, the second and third things looked for isn't very interesting because the data is connected. Maybe score these like 3 for first, 2 for second, 1 for third and show a single chart combining these (as well as the "most important" chart).

There are lots more interesting things you could ask, like hours of practice, competition participation, sticker preference, lube preference, DIY or preassembled, tension preference, splits or weakest stage, etc.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I'll add on to this later today.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is a survey that I created to try and gather (hopefully) worldwide statistics about the usage of the 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube..

These aren't anything close worldwide statistics if you're only pooling SpeedSolving users; you'll have a heavy bias toward English speakers. If you really wanted statistics on worldwide speedcubers, you'd have to have a much better sampling technique.

TheresZombies

These aren't anything close worldwide statistics if you're only pooling SpeedSolving users; you'll have a heavy bias toward English speakers. If you really wanted statistics on worldwide speedcubers, you'd have to have a much better sampling technique.

I'm doing what I can to get it out there.

TheresZombies

That's fine, and I realize that this is just for fun, I'm just pointing out that it's wrong/misleading to say that any statistic from this survey is representative of the world population of cubers.

My goal is to get this around the world. Whether or not that happens is yet to be determined. It helps a ton if people could just copy and paste this survey on other forums they use for speedsolving and get it out there, but this probably wont happen.