• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Best spring swap mods

scottishcuber

WCA
2013MAHM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Has anyone put c4u springs into a SS5x5? I florian modded mine and I'm getting some screw and spring sets from c4u soon. I've heard different opinions on using dayan springs but c4u I haven't found anything on the subject. Did anyone try it out? If not, I will and I'll post about it.

C4U = Not worth it. The enlarged end of the spring doesn't fit well and so the spring barely compresses like it should.

Also, dayan springs don't work very well in my experience, they're too soft and so they reduce the springy feel of the cube too much. It wont cut corners.

Give it a try by all means, you never know how good it could turn out (no pun intended). I find with the new SS 5x5s it isn't even necessary to change hardware...florian mod will suffice.

Nilsibert

WCA
2014FREY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for the response. Yeah I'm not sure if I'm gonna try it. Maybe when I'm bored someday I'll try dayan and c4u, I guess it depends on the cube and how it has been modded. Overall I'm not fully satisfied with the mod. The layers are still very clicky and grindy and it can cut like line to line when I'm lucky(reverse about half a piece). I'm not that crazy about corner cutting, don't get me wrong, but I expected more from the mod. Might just need some breaking in, I only did about 15-20 solves since I modded it.

WCA
2012TOWE01
Dayan in 6 = pwnage
Dayan in 5 = feels a little worse, locks up more
Dayan in 7 (regular) = feels faster and more even on all layers, but becomes extremely locky. Personal preference, I prefer standard hardware.

Nilsibert

WCA
2014FREY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
btw just to throw it out there dayan springs in mini 777 is awesome. cube feels faster even at tighter tensions and this results in less popping too. less locky too.

Awesome, I'm getting a mini 7x7 this week and I'm sure I can sacrifice some dayan cube for the springs. Does the panshi have the same standard dayan springs? My panshi is absolutely horrible and I'm probably never gonna use it.

ether

What springs have generally worked well for people for the SS 7x7 Mini?

YddEd

WCA
2012SHAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Has anyone put c4u springs into a SS5x5? I florian modded mine and I'm getting some screw and spring sets from c4u soon. I've heard different opinions on using dayan springs but c4u I haven't found anything on the subject. Did anyone try it out? If not, I will and I'll post about it.
I tried it a few hours ago. The springs don't even go into the hole xD

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What springs have generally worked well for people for the SS 7x7 Mini?

This has been mentioned a couple times, butI put some old Dayan springs in my mini SS 7x7. It immediately felt amazing

I also put Dayan springs in my SS 6x6 and it got pretty loose. I had to tighten it quite a bit to avoid lock ups and it almost nullified the swap. Still better though, so I'm keeping it.

And Dayan springs + SS 5x5 is amazing. It's so fast. Almost too fast, but I love it. It does lock up more, but not much more. Depends on your turning style. Plus, I'm sure a florian modded cube would see less of that.

Wish there were decent options for the SS4x4, but whatev. The v5 is pretty sweet unmodded anyway.

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
Ugh, I hated the 5x5 with dayan springs. I tried it out after dayan springs worked so well in my 6x6 and mini7x7, but it just made the cube more locky without getting any faster at all, so I had to switch back. :/

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ugh, I hated the 5x5 with dayan springs. I tried it out after dayan springs worked so well in my 6x6 and mini7x7, but it just made the cube more locky without getting any faster at all, so I had to switch back. :/

Obv we had completely different results.

I did have to tighten the cube quite a bit, otherwise I'd get some kinda epic jamming... and it was only about a half screw away from being too tight. But in that sweet spot... gold.

Nilsibert

WCA
2014FREY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'll try Dayan in SS5x5. I'll take the one from my panshi, which I'll never use anyway. Maybe it'll be good.

Edit: I changed the 6x6 springs to dayan. Now the cube is practically unusable; One of the middle layers is heavily clicky, sometimes all the 3 layers of one side completely lock in place so I can't turn the outer layer until I wiggle around on all 3 layers to make it movable again. Also it seems like the whole core missaligns sometimes and I get weird gaps between center pieces.
The first time I assembled it(went by a video tutorial) the middle layer was locked. I tried again and now this problem occurs. I made sure to do it right and tightened it quite a bit so the little internal pieces had no chance of falling out while assembling, I have no idea what I could have done wrong..
Has anyone had experience with this? I'm not gonna reassemble it in the next few days because quite frankly, I'm sick of it. Took a lot of time and quite a bit of cusswords were used ;) But it would still be cool to find a solution and someday I'll fix it.

Last edited:

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'll try Dayan in SS5x5. I'll take the one from my panshi, which I'll never use anyway. Maybe it'll be good.

Confession: After letting a friend try my 5x5 w/ Dayan springs, he mentioned that it was far more difficult to control. The next day I swapped the old springs back in, just for comparison.

I got better times with the original springs :|

I guess I'm gonna leave them in there. I still get major jamming from time to time, so I'll just have to work on my accuracy.

EMI

WCA
2011RHEI01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Edit: I changed the 6x6 springs to dayan. Now the cube is practically unusable; One of the middle layers is heavily clicky, sometimes all the 3 layers of one side completely lock in place so I can't turn the outer layer until I wiggle around on all 3 layers to make it movable again. Also it seems like the whole core missaligns sometimes and I get weird gaps between center pieces.
The first time I assembled it(went by a video tutorial) the middle layer was locked. I tried again and now this problem occurs. I made sure to do it right and tightened it quite a bit so the little internal pieces had no chance of falling out while assembling, I have no idea what I could have done wrong..
Has anyone had experience with this? I'm not gonna reassemble it in the next few days because quite frankly, I'm sick of it. Took a lot of time and quite a bit of cusswords were used ;) But it would still be cool to find a solution and someday I'll fix it.

Maybe you didn't assemble the very inner centers correctly? They all have only one right orientation. You can just remove all 16 centers of the side that seems to be a problem and check if the hidden center is in its right orientation. It can't be the springs that cause the locking.

Joey VOV

WCA
2013STAH02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I had problems with my 6x6 as well. The dayan springs work amazingly in the 5x5 but in the 6x6 it is not so good. I think it is because I have my cube too tight, but I really do not want to disassemble it again to tension it :p

Nilsibert

WCA
2014FREY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Maybe you didn't assemble the very inner centers correctly? They all have only one right orientation. You can just remove all 16 centers of the side that seems to be a problem and check if the hidden center is in its right orientation. It can't be the springs that cause the locking.

Oh I didn't mean to imply that the springs had anything to do with the problem, I know they don't. The problem is that it's the middle slice that is extremely crunchy and grindy. By inner centers do you mean the 2 tiny pieces that go between the centers?