• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Do you solve edges or corners first on 3bld?

Edges or Corners first on 3BLD?

• Total voters

DrKorbin

WCA
2011GRIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why does the last cube differ?

Cuz all cubes except the last one are memorized using long-term memory. The last one is memorized using short-term memory (i.e. like in simple 3x3 bld) and is solved first. All other cubes are memorized and executed corners first.
Another question: why don't I memorize them edges first so I can execute all cubes the same way? It is the matter of habit.

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
I solve corners first, except eventually for parity that I can fix at any moment during the solve, depending on when I can use an easy alg for that. Since I'm still using 3OP corners (still too lazy to practice BH corners seriously), the argument "edges require more info than corners" doesn't apply to me.

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Corners first (with audio) then edges (with images). This thread is making me want to try audio edges again, I sucked too badly at it at first to manage it, but I might be able to do it now. If so, I'll then do edges first. It would be annoying since I switched multi order to memoing edges then corners (for all but last cube) so I memo'd in the same order, having originally memo'd corners first for multi, and then I would have to switch back to corners first and get even more confused. It would probably motivate me to practice more to fix it, so maybe not a huge issue.

PianoCube

I memo corners last and solve them first because my audio memo sucks. I have big problems remembering all corners when there are more than 8 targets.

Sessinator

WCA
2009CADM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I guess the way I do it isn't too popular haha. I execute edges first and corners last. I also memo in that order and use audio for edges and tapping/visual for corners. I use M2/R2 and it makes a lot more sense to me to execute edges first with that method. If I have an odd cycle and execute corners first, the edges on the R slice be off by an R2. If have an odd cycle and execute edges first, I avoid any conflict with the corners because only the M slice will be off.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ha. Which part? The tapping, the visual, or both?

They're both pretty horrendous, and I have no idea why they are so popular. I'm sure there are people who do better like that, but that is a much, much lower percentage than the number of people who use it. I cannot think of a single person who has sub-15 memo and uses visual or tapping primarily for either corners or edges. Visual is a good way to memo twisted/flipped pieces, but I think that for most people it's usefulness stops there.

This is how I think visual came about:

>Let's do a blindsolve!
>But how do we memo?!?
>Idk... maybe we should just stare at it.
>Ok, seems good enough.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong and explain to me a single advantage that visual has over letters. So far I have seen no evidence that there is more than a small minority of people who remember random visual cues better than well-constructed mental images and sounds.

WCA
2010CANT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
They're both pretty horrendous, and I have no idea why they are so popular. I'm sure there are people who do better like that, but that is a much, much lower percentage than the number of people who use it. I cannot think of a single person who has sub-15 memo and uses visual or tapping primarily for either corners or edges. Visual is a good way to memo twisted/flipped pieces, but I think that for most people it's usefulness stops there.

>Let's do a blindsolve!
>But how do we memo?!?
>Ok, seems good enough.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong and explain to me a single advantage that visual has over letters. So far I have seen no evidence that there is more than a small minority of people who remember random visual cues better than well-constructed mental images and sounds.

It can be faster until you can come up with a good image within a fraction of a second. I do the first couple pieces visual since I just need to glance at them for a second before execution, and it's less to remeber for the rest of the corners.

Sessinator

WCA
2009CADM01
YouTube
Visit Channel

>Let's do a blindsolve!
>But how do we memo?!?
>Ok, seems good enough.

I started BLD back in late 2008 when there were fewer tutorials to choose from than there are now. I did start off with audio for edges, but I decided to use tapping/visual for corners probably after reading about it somewhere on speedsolving. In less than 2 months (and before my first competition) I was pretty consistently sub 2 min with my solves, so initially I thought the way I was doing it couldn't be that bad, and I stuck with it.

When I memorize visually, I tap the pieces as I go through and I sometimes I also say "left," "right," "back", "up," to help me remember the orientation the piece should go in the cycle. Sometimes I do get a very nice easy to memorize cycle if the pieces are oriented on the same sides in the cycle (ex. "left, right, left right, up, down"). These situations are fortunate, but not common. Most of the time I don't find a very easy cycle pattern to memorize and I get slowed down.

If I were to teach someone how to memorize the cube blindfolded today, I wouldn't suggest this method. Recently I've been trying to wean myself off of memorize corners this way in favor of some other methods that may be faster for me in the long run. Recently I've been trying to start out improve my memo. I've seen my edge memo drop over time (and in recent practice I've gotten my edges sub 10s), but I can't say as much for corners. I'm sure some people could probably get fast memo visually, but I've come to realize I may not be one of those people, so I've started looking into other options (namely letter pairs). I probably take 2-3 times as long to memorize corners as I take to memo edges. This is frustrating, and even though I do sometimes get really easy to memorize cases, it doesn't seem to be paying off for me. If I were to get my corner memo down to where my edge memo is, I would cut my memo significantly. I'm hoping letter-pairs works out better for me.

PJKCuber

WCA
2014KULK02
I'm really confused on what to do first. I think corners first is better for me because I can still remember the images used in my attempt from an hour ago VU FS CB JO
Vulture Fish Cub Joe. But I want to be good at Multi BLD and for Multi BLD most people solve edges 1st. Anyway, I am weaker at solving edges than corners, so would images for edges help?

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
Memo edges 1st with images then corners audio. Execute corners 1st.

For MBLD memo in the same order and execute as memoed.

JasonDL13

WCA
2014LEWI02
I solve corners first, here's why:

I find it easier to remember more information in a longer time, it sounds weird but since edges are ~10 letters, I can remember it easier then corners, which is only ~8 letters.
Another reason: If there are twisted corners (which can also happen to edges, but it's more likely on corners) you can use audio to remember them.

In multi if corners doesn't come to my mind I do edges first, then I see if I remember corners.

moralsh

WCA
2013MORA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Edges first, Noah's style.

In multi I just change the order of the memo, memorizing in the same order I solve (all but the last one, of course).

In 4BLD I memo corners, then edges and last audio centers and execute the other way around. Which makes me want to try to do a full 3BLD audio, I'll probably put some time into it.