• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to Get Faster using the ZZ Method

CubeRoots

WCA
2012LIVS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know COLL, and all WV cases 9 moves or less, if a cool case comes up i do it if not i COLL. Gonna learn some CLS and 2GLL too for my OH, starting to take it seriously now :D. I think an eclectic mix of all the nice cases from different alg sets gives an extra kick to a solve. sometimes you get OLL skip sometimes 2GLL, if none then you still have COLL to an easy EPLL

F perm

Dude I average like 14.5 with ZZ! Wanna race to sub12? Personally, I would say Winter Variation for TH but COLL for OH. COLL seems to be of great use to OH solvers such as asmallkitten, but I think with enough practice and recognition, Winter Variation - PLL could be faster for two handed solving. That is just my theory, of course.

Advantages of COLL-EPLL:
-EPLL skips
-One-handed friendliness
-EPLLs can easily be performed from all angles
-COLL recognition can be very quick with practice
Advantages of WV-PLL:
-Slightly lower movecount in theory
-Recognition can also be very fast with practice
-PLL can be just slightly slower than EPLL with lots of practice

@Petro Leum: I would appreciate suggestions!

@ZZer: lol maybe :)

What do you think of SV? Should one learn that too if going down the WV path? I've heard that the algorithms aren't as fast...

WCA
2012CHIE01
I am trying to do the EOLine blindfolded, but I can only do it about 25% of the time. I can easily do the EO part, but keeping track of the two line edges afterwards is hard. The only way I manage to do it is when EO is not a lot of moves, or when I put my fingers on the line edges to keep track of them, which doesn't seem like the right way to do it. Should I just try more and practice more? Tips, anyone? Thank you.

uvafan

WCA
2012LIFL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am trying to do the EOLine blindfolded, but I can only do it about 25% of the time. I can easily do the EO part, but keeping track of the two line edges afterwards is hard. The only way I manage to do it is when EO is not a lot of moves, or when I put my fingers on the line edges to keep track of them, which doesn't seem like the right way to do it. Should I just try more and practice more? Tips, anyone? Thank you.

Honestly, it's just practice. It'll get way easier if you continue to practice. :)

Petro Leum

WCA
2012KALH01
Honestly, it's just practice. It'll get way easier if you continue to practice. :)

i feel that the way "memorising EO and tracking the Line edges blind" is not a good way, because tracking the line requires you to think, and there for blocks your lookahead for the blockbuilding..... but maybe (hopefully) there is a natural transition from tracking the line edges to memorising the whole EOLine.

uvafan

WCA
2012LIFL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i feel that the way "memorising EO and tracking the Line edges blind" is not a good way, because tracking the line requires you to think, and there for blocks your lookahead for the blockbuilding..... but maybe (hopefully) there is a natural transition from tracking the line edges to memorising the whole EOLine.

It's better to think while doing EOLine then to have to look for line edges after EO.

mDiPalma

if you really wanted to gain anything significant from blinded practice, it'd probably be from doing EOL+1 BLD or xeoline BLD, the latter being far superior to the former.

Petro Leum

WCA
2012KALH01
if you really wanted to gain anything significant from blinded practice, it'd probably be from doing EOL+1 BLD or xeoline BLD, the latter being far superior to the former.

thats my point. starting off with this is pretty hard though, when you cant even "plan out" the entire EOLine. for me, BLD EO + Tracking takes 5-6 seconds, BLD xeoline takes 3-4 minutes. with a success rate of ~30-40%.

mDiPalma

yeah, i just did my first 12 BLD eoline solves: 8.00, 3.28, 4.28, 8.61, 6.78, 7.75, 5.49, 5.75, 1.71, 3.17, 5.78, 8.50 = 5.88avg12

it's difficult to focus on optimality or ergonomics when you are rushing yourself to close your eyes as fast as possible.

I don't think timing EOline BLD does very much more than teaching people how to inspect for bad edges very quickly. Once you've learned that, as many of us already have, I think we should only time the EXECUTION of EOline BLD and not the inspection. In that, at least optimality and ergonomics are a factor, because we can use the <15 seconds of inspection to plan a fast line (as in a real speedsolve).

But even better, as Petro Leum pointed out, we'd do better to time EOline+1 sighted solves, because they directly mimic a true solve scenario.

ZZ-Boio

Awesome guide I'm about at step 2, one thing I would add at step 2 is to start practising Y-Axis neutrality. So that you can do EOLine in less than 10 seconds from any orientation of the cube having yellow top. I found this really useful to be able to do and made my times drop like a stone.

Last edited:

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
As this thread has been bumped, I'd like to put forward some advances in theoretically best ZZ: firstly, full ZBLL, no question. Definitely the best option. Learn them as early as possible. Secondly, doing eocross seems to be better for 2h and eoline for oh, but on all solves, you want to plan xeocross or xeoline. Y axis neutrality is definitely important, but you should also try to be z2 neutral too, which opens up the possibility of every block, so you can take advantage of pairs in inspection. ZZ is definitely capable of being faster than cfop as it's more efficient (by about 8-10 moves) and you have the same tps. The hard part is getting to that stage, but once achieved, ZZ will go further than CFOP and is equal to roux (think about it, roux is backward zz. Kinda meme, but kinda true). Whoever reads this, good luck with zz!

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
You should plan out the whole eoline in inspection, and then learn how to ignore it and look for pieces while you solve it. So look for your first square. Then while you're solving that, look fo4 your next pieces etc.

CraZZ CFOP

WCA
2018HUGE02
Should I switch to CT or should I transition from COLL to ZZLL to ZBLL?
(These are just plugin methods.)
(I'm leaning towards CT)

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
No, as ZZ-CT is straight up worse than ZZ-A in terms of movecount and ergonomics (as you have to leave the FR slot open). And I'd suggest just learning ZBLL straight up. You can learn ZZLL if you want, but there's no good reason in the long run.