• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cubewhiz

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01
Cubewhiz.com needs an overhaul. I have not updated the site in several years and it's been quite a while since I've done any web design. Does anybody want to help give cubewhiz a makeover? It doesn't pay. :p

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I learnt COLL from cubewhiz for CMLL when I was first starting, thanks for that.

However, I pretty much don't use any of those algs anymore. :)

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01
I learnt COLL from cubewhiz for CMLL when I was first starting, thanks for that.

However, I pretty much don't use any of those algs anymore. :)

Yeah, there are a quite a few algs that I don't use either. I've just been too busy/lazy to update them.

I loved cubewhiz. I learned alot of my OLLs and PLLs from there. What exactly do you need help with?

It needs a new layout. Several of the sections are also obsolete while others need to be updated. It would be nice to have a mobile version of the site, too--at least for the purposes of viewing algs on a smartphone.

cubernya

Premium Member
Well if the site was up I would do this. Are you planning on keeping the same algorithms, just changing the layout?

collinbxyz

WCA
2010BURN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Are you using any software for building the site, like WordPress?

Also, here's just another thing that should be fixed.

cubewhiz.png

I'm not sure if this is just me, but if it is, let me know.

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01
Well if the site was up I would do this. Are you planning on keeping the same algorithms, just changing the layout?

That's one of the other things I need to look into. I need a new host. I've emailed regarding this and it's gotten no better. The service goes in and out at random.

I will be updating the algorithms. I have changed quite a few of them since my last update. Some of them have typos as well.

Collin, I wrote the site in notepad...but that was like 8 years ago. When I first put up cubewhiz, youtube wasn't even invented yet.

collinbxyz

WCA
2010BURN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Collin, I wrote the site in notepad...but that was like 8 years ago. When I first put up cubewhiz, youtube wasn't even invented yet.

I think it would be easier with some sort of software or organizer. WordPress, while made for blogs, has plenty of free templates (Which you can customize) and plugins. I'm not sure what features you'd like to add, but there is a lot you can do with it.

Of course, WordPress isn't the only software like this.

Jaycee

YouTube
Visit Channel
I learned all my PLLs from cubewhiz and have only changed 4 or 5 of them since :) I still remember March '11, being at my mom's place and learning the T and J perms off the printable sheet :) I also learned ~20 OLLs from there before I found this site and its Wiki, and I'm having trouble switching algs on 4 or 5 of the cases whose algs I don't like. :p It was the first cubing site I found <3

But yeah I agree it needs some sort of update (algs maybe ;)) but I don't really know what you want to update.

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
Bob, I recall having such issues with images loading that I thought you were running the site on your own server box off of cable or dsl... you definitely do need a new host. I went through a pretty big ordeal with my web host recently (they went out of business and didn't inform me prior) and had to search for a new one. There are a few good ones out there... I am using Level Hosting.

I assume CSS wasn't yet popular when you first designed the site? As I am learning, web design isn't what it used to be...

RyanReese09

Premium Member
WCA
2010REES01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cubewhiz.com needs an overhaul. I have not updated the site in several years and it's been quite a while since I've done any web design. Does anybody want to help give cubewhiz a makeover? It doesn't pay. :p

If you found me a design you liked, I'd code you the homepage, but I wouldn't do anything beyond that because after that, if you don't know how to make it for every other page, you're SOL.

Let me know.

Edit-I'd only ask that I could refer to your page as a "page" I coded. Nothing more.

RyanReese09

Premium Member
WCA
2010REES01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's one of the other things I need to look into. I need a new host. I've emailed regarding this and it's gotten no better. The service goes in and out at random.

I will be updating the algorithms. I have changed quite a few of them since my last update. Some of them have typos as well.

I will tell you that bluehost.com, the one I use, is very very good. Excellent service. Almost no site downtime.

Edit-My sig has my website. Check out the code if you want, and the design. The blog is coded, however I have to upload it and style it. And the portfolio page isn't done. Other than that...

Edit2-Contact me on FB if interested...I don't get on here much.

Last edited:

cubernya

Premium Member
So far I've put notation, finger tricks, and competition tutorial into a layout (as well as home, but I don't know what text you want in it :p)

I've used VisualCube to generate the pictures for the notation page, and will do the same for the rest of the algs (TBH the current pictures are horrible compared to VisualCube)

So basically all I have to do is the alg pages, then it would be done. http://thezcuber.webs.com/cubewhiz/

By the way: the background is just the colors of the cube. It could be a picture, but I just wanted something to be there to make it colorful