• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

kprox1994

WCA
2017PAAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I keep seeing all of these questions about lube. I think it would be good to keep lubrication questions all in one thread about where to buy and what lube to use for what cubes.

Lube Types (Descriptions by Thrawst)
Lubix is like UN Security Council resolutions: it's not a be all end all solution, as the pieces usually need lubrication themselves. Purchase

Silicone, CRC, Jigaloo... 100% pure silicone lubricants are like mathematics: it's universal, works everywhere in the traditional sense. Buy at any hardware store. Most experience cubers will not recommend a spray based lubricant, as they propellant can damage the plastic.

Maru lube, Rubiks.com lube... is like unicorn blood in Harry Potter: It's magical at first, but it doesn't last long and you'll soon have to reapply it. Purchase

Vaseline or any other oil based lubricant are like US foreign policies: It may work for a while, or it may seem to work on paper, but in the long term things break down. Get at a drug store.

Shock Oil/Diff Oil is 100% Silicone, it has a similar feel to Lubix but slightly different. Put a small amount on, and your cube will become godly, but too much and it will be the devil. Get at a a hobby shop that sells RC cars.

For a Rubik's brand specifically I would go with CRC but not before this.

For more info on lube http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/Lubrication.

Please ask questions about people's experiences and what cubes to use what lube on below.

Last edited:

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
Hmm I seem to remember that back when I lubed my Rubik's brand with Liquid Wrench it had a bad odor for a couple days. Do the, ah, more recommended lubes have bad odors like that?

Lubix is like UN Security Council resolutions: it's not a be all end all solution, as the pieces usually need lubrication themselves.
I don't understand this part. When using Lubix/Diff Oil, you still lubricate the pieces themselves. So, what do you mean by this? I asked Thrawst, but he didn't answer. Since you used the same wording in this thread, I'm guessing you understand it, which is why I'm asking you for clarification.

radmin

WCA
2010HARD02
I don't understand this part. When using Lubix/Diff Oil, you still lubricate the pieces themselves. So, what do you mean by this? I asked Thrawst, but he didn't answer. Since you used the same wording in this thread, I'm guessing you understand it, which is why I'm asking you for clarification.

With diff oil you lube the core then put one drop on an edge to lube the pieces. Resist the urge to use more than 1 drop. Any more than a drop can slow the cube down.

With diff oil you lube the core then put one drop on an edge to lube the pieces. Resist the urge to use more than 1 drop. Any more than a drop can slow the cube down.

I understand that. I actually have experience with using Diff Oil on cubes, and recommended it to others. The point is, the pieces themselves are still lubricated when using Diff Oil/Lubix. That's the reason I don't understand the analogy, since from what I'm understanding, it's wrong.

Last edited:

cyoubx

YouTube
Visit Channel

There are other cubes besides 3x3s...Some people insist on using Lubix/Diff Oil for big cubes, too. It doesn't always work as well as you hope. People don't lubricate every piece of a 7x7. And if they do, they're wasting the cube and the lube.

There are other cubes besides 3x3s...Some people insist on using Lubix/Diff Oil for big cubes, too. It doesn't always work as well as you hope. People don't lubricate every piece of a 7x7. And if they do, they're wasting the cube and the lube.

People use Diff Oil/Lubix on Big Cubes? Seems like a waste...
I was pretty sure the Lubix analogy was written specifically for 3x3, but I guess he could've been talking about Big Cubes.

People don't lubricate every piece of a 7x7. And if they do, they're wasting the cube and the lube.
People don't lubricate every piece of a 7x7 with Lubix/Diff Oil, or with anything at all?

I see. Well, OP could you add in parentheses that the analogy doesn't fit with 3x3, as it's misleading?

Last edited: