• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Prisma Puzzle Timer

Walter Souza

WCA
2010SOUZ01
I don't think skewness and kurtosis would be all that useful for cubing, and most people would have no clue what they are anyway. They might not be useful at all for smaller sessions (much less than 100 solves, say) because a few very good or bad solves would have a great impact on them. SD is probably the most complicated thing that would matter for comparing people (or judging improvement).

I think having a number to describe the asymmetry of mo100's would be cool. Kurtosis really isn't that useful.

Walter Souza

WCA
2010SOUZ01
Great timer - needs more of what CCT has! WCA inspection and judge voices: I don't solve well unless Stefan's voice tells me my times! I want to paste scrambles from clipboard and the Undo of CCT allows me to roll back to the last scramble. I like my long solve times in minutes and seconds: a teraminx solve in seconds just looks bad! I'll get involved with some patches as soon as I have some time. Great work.

Getting scrambles from the clipboard can be useful. Creating a new file to import a single scramble is surely cumbersome.

Walter Souza

WCA
2010SOUZ01
Suggestions:
  1. For blindfolded events, don't show a picture of the scrambled cube. I don't think anybody would cheat and look at that before they start timing but it's still possible.
  2. Allow the order of categories to be changed in the category manager. It would be nice to put my main events at the top of the list for easy access.
  3. Show the best averages in the session, and save space by moving the standard deviation from it's own line to the same line as the average/mean, like "(σ = 2.00)".
  4. Showing the best time out of the last 5/10 solves isn't really necessary.
  5. Group avg5/12 together, and mo3/10, instead of avg5/mo3 and avg12/mo10. Most people don't care about means so keeping the averages together puts the relevant information closer together.
  6. Maybe add the ability to add splits to certain categories? It's a useful feature for some events.

Why hide the viewer? If you're tempted to cheat, you'll probably look at the puzzle in front of you anyway.

Reordering of the categories is in my todo list.

da25centz

WCA
2010MEYE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would recommend only having your records update after each run of the program:

sometimes Ill do like 8 solves, and close puzzle timer
If i come back later and do another 5 solves, it will probably tell me that I got a pb avg of 12. Although I do like that it saves your pb's for single, a5, a12, etc. I think that the data for those should only be pulled from the current session

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm having a slight glitch when trying to run this, but I have got the app to run. I'll edit my post with more features I'd like to see once I get it working how it should.

I had some stuff written about what I would like to see but since I finally got it working (somewhat) I deleted my text and will come back and edit it once I get a better view of the app. Good work though so far!

Last edited:

bluedasher

The timer looks good. This is probably going to replace J-Net and CCT as my new timer. One suggestion though and I'm not sure if this has been discussed but I didn't see this mentioned.

It could be a good idea if you add a LL scrambler for the 3x3. I find myself wanting to cut down my LL times all the time. This would be cool to have a LL scrambler.

Walter Souza

WCA
2010SOUZ01
The timer looks good. This is probably going to replace J-Net and CCT as my new timer. One suggestion though and I'm not sure if this has been discussed but I didn't see this mentioned.

It could be a good idea if you add a LL scrambler for the 3x3. I find myself wanting to cut down my LL times all the time. This would be cool to have a LL scrambler.

You can create a new category named "Rubik's cube - Last layer" using "Fridrich - OLL training scrambler" as scrambler.

otsyke

to solve the gray window problem try setting this environment variabile befor launching the jar from the same console:

Code:
export AWT_TOOLKIT=MToolkit

worked for me. Then add to your ~/.pam_environment or /etc/environment file.

cisco

WCA
2008PERE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
@joey I've not tested it, but I'm pretty sure you'll get different PLL's whith the same OLL each time. Much as you'd expect with an actual cube after solving F2L.

@otsyke Yeah, I had this issue with java + compiz but ages ago, I though it'd be already solved.

@Walter Man you're doing an EXCELLENT work, keep on with that :)

gamma105

great job! love the timer!! please let us know when you get the stackmat timer to work :D

oranjules

WCA
2010DESJ01
very good job ! it's going to be my main timer :p
a suggestion : could you make sub-optimal scrambles for pyraminx, like qqtimer ? It's better when you don't know that your scramble is very lucky :)

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh man, this is brilliant, I love how easy it is to bring up optimal Cross solutions. It's really helping me.

Edit: I'm also loving that it provides a session summary with the best Ao5 and Ao12... saves soo much time.

Last edited:
The one thing that I'm missing either due to it actually be missing or due to my silly inability to find it is a setting for inspection after one hits the spacebar for the first time. This would be very useful,...
heers and great job,
Stachu

Great work, and yes the inspection time would be great even as keybord only addon, but non of the timers I tried so far has this feature.