• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cross on left discussion thread

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So as I am sure my fellow cross on lefters (or the rare righty) have noticed, we are few in number. There are no tutorials for cross on left, and a majority of the advanced f2l tricks cross on D solvers use translate poorly to COL. As a result, many of us have independently developed our own tricks, rarely getting a chance to share them with one another. After Macky's challenge to cubers to push F2L to it's limits, I realized that almost of all the developments he made (and likely most developments to come) are useless to me. After talking to Phillip Espinoza a few days ago I realized that we have so much to share with each other, but no place to do it. So I thought I'd move the discussion from his facebook wall to this forum.

A good place to start:
Phillip's general f2l algs
Leyan's algs

I don't have the time or energy to generate images at the moment, so just bear with me and do the inverse to figure out what this stuff does.

1 Empty Slot algs:
F R U R' U 'F'
F U R U' R' F'
U r U' r' U'
U r U r' U'
L2 U' R' U M2 U' R U
r U' R' U r' and inverse. Really anything in the moveset <r,R,U> that follows this general pattern is a great way to keyhole stuff.

2-3 Empty Slot algs:
M2 U2 M2 U2
M' U2 M U2 and inverse etc

Single Slot algs:
F' R U' R' U R' F
U R r U' R' U r' U'
r U r' D' r U' r' D (fingertrick like Eperm)
U R' U' F' U' R' U2 R U' F (Indexpush F', can do Bw instead if its last slot)

I'm aware this is not much, but it's a start. Hopefully word will get out to the other COL solvers and we can get a good list going.

Last edited:

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Before switching to Roux, I was a fan of cross on left. Execution wasn't a problem rather the transition from pair to pair was harder for me. anyway, I do hope to see more diversity in CFOP since it seems very bland for people to stick to what the majority does. I really hope that this starts up :)

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Last August, before I switched from Keyhole to CFOP, I would cross on left. The only downside is that I wouldn't do F2L that way, just corners, then edges separate. At the time I wish I could have seen COL stuff about F2L then, I think it might have made my transition a bit easier. I can't complain though, I averaged 40ish as soon as I started F2L (that was my average with keyhole + 4LLL sometimes up to 6 looks arggg).

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If cross on left=COL solver, does that make me a COD solver? :D

I used to do algs like L' U' L U L' U' L by rotating cross to left and doing it as an RU alg, but that was before I was any good with my left hand and I eventually switched. I might have a look at some of the COL algs because z/z' rotations aren't too bad so if I see some nice algs I might switch to them. U' R2 U R U' R' U is pretty good I think.

Matt

Joker

YouTube
Visit Channel
Whoa, I just did a COL cross+F2L solve, and I see major potential...I may even switch...keep up those algs :D

Lolol.
A "major potential". It's not like this is new, and it's not like noone fast uses this >_>

I've seen that vid and I know its not new
But I just tried it and it seems pretty good. But it would be hard to get used to if you have done cross on bottom all this time. I guess I can give some F2L algs for this later today when I have time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joker

YouTube
Visit Channel

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm sure a number of the cross on lefters (or cross on right) already know this. But, as important as people stress it is to be able to do the LR reflection of an F2L case when solving cross on bottom, I assume cross on left (or right) would need to be very comfortable with the UD reflection of each case. I wrote up a way to reflect algorithms in your head a long time ago. Perhaps this would be a bit useful to some in this discussion?

Chris