• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Revamped advanced F2L page

macky

Premium Member
WCA
2003MAKI01
15 June: Color scheme now adjustable from http://cubefreak.net/site/colorscheme.html
16 June: Cleaned up color changing code. Cube color now also adjustable.

Advanced F2L

The F2L List section lists almost all D-cross normal F2L cases, where a case here is defined by the pair pattern (e.g. Q1), the target slot, and any empty slot. This means that two configurations belong to the same case if they are interchangeable with a U move, but not with y or Dw move. For each case, we have provided reasonable algorithms that solve the case without first reducing to another case, i.e. algorithms not beginning with y or Dw. This list is inspired by the F2L series on Simpei Araki's cublog, CubeSpace.

The list excludes Jeff2L cases as well as special F2L cases, intended control more than normal cases (e.g. OLL skip). Adjacent-slot Jeff2L as well as some special cases are listed after the normal F2L.

Actually, I haven't yet included things like R'U2RDw'RUR' that include a rotation or a double layer turn in the middle.

Orientation-Preserving F2L

It is easy to recognize when the last F2L pair have all U pieces on U layer correctly oriented. In these situations, the algorithms below solve last pair and the last layer orientation, leaving only PLL. Of course, The list excludes pair patterns where the corner or the edge is incorrectly oriented in place. The better algorithms are worth learning.

Jeff2L

Jeff2L refers to any F2L case where neither the corner nor the corresponding edge is in the U layer, and where at least one is in a wrong slot. When there are only such F2L pairs (as it happens all the time to Jeff, after whom Jeff2L is named), most cubers do RUR', say, to get a normal F2L case.

We provide here a complete list of adjacent-slot Jeff2L cases, as well as a few special diagonal-slot cases. Since these cases have fairly easy recognition, they may be useful even when there is a normal F2L case.

and more random stuff.

Tell me if there's something that should be on these lists!

Last edited:

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Macky, first let me say that this is an amazing resource! I will surely be spending lots of time looking at this site with a cube in hand!

However, I think I may actually have an alg execution to add to your list! It's the same alg, but I do it slightly differently.

For Jeff2l in the "Edge in wrong slot" cases the following case:
zULF'L'U'z'

Can also be done as:
L Uw L' Uw' L'

:)

Chris

macky

Premium Member
WCA
2003MAKI01
Thanks, Chris! I made that the main algorithm. I was planning to add y'F'R'URF = Rw'Uw'RUwRw, which is the double-layer version of your execution.

macky

Premium Member
WCA
2003MAKI01
Added new algorithms, especially from these sources, with appropriate citations:
http://speedcubing.com/f2l_advanced.html
http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?p=172749

It's been pointed out elsewhere that, compared to how much effort we've collectively put into optimizing last layer algorithms, there has been surprisingly little development in F2L algorithms for many years now. My view is that a thorough review of F2L should be one of the main tasks for today's CFOP community.

I already have a lot of algorithms (including those that are not documented anywhere else), but I'm sure cubers here have more tasty ones. Please post them.

Last edited:

onionhoney

WCA
2008SUNZ01
Added new algorithms, especially from these sources, with appropriate citations:
http://speedcubing.com/f2l_advanced.html
http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?p=172749

It's been pointed out elsewhere that, compared to how much effort we've collectively put into optimizing last layer algorithms, there has been surprisingly little development in F2L algorithms for many years now. My view is that a thorough review of F2L should be one of the main tasks for today's CFOP community.

I already have a lot of algorithms (including those that are not documented anywhere else), but I'm sure cubers here have more tasty ones. Please post them.

Thanks, Macky.:D I've learned a lot from your awesome website these days. Really cool algs. ;)

Senkoy

I just started learning F2L and this is so extremely useful! Thank you! And sorry for the extremely n00b question but what does 'w' mean in the notation? Rw for example. Haven't seen that notation before.

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
w stands for "wide" and means a double layer turn. Rw would be turning the right face AND the M slice 90 degrees clockwise. It's more common to see lowercase letters used for double layers in the US.

Rw = r
Rw'= r'
Rw2=r2

I personally prefer lowercase letters to w's, less clutter in algs