• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Number of "Solved" Positions for a 7x7!?

CuBeOrDiE

YouTube
Visit Channel
What do you mean? You mean I worded it badly? I mean that, say for instance you took two of the corner centers on the blue side of a 7x7 and swapped them. The cube is still solved, but the pieces have been swapped, so this is two "solved" positions. I way "solved" because the cube is solved, but the two pieces are in different spots. So the question is, how many of these "solved" positions are there in total?

miniGOINGS

Hmm. Interesting question! I have no idea how I might even go about calculating this... Congrats, you stumped me! I need to start learning about bigcube theory.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
As we all know, the centers of the 7x7 have one sticker. So I think that it's logical to conclude some may be swapped and the cube still remain solved. Is this correct? And if so, how many total "solved" positions are there?

thnx

I did a calculation of this for the 20x20x20 cube here.

For the 7x7x7 there would be:
(4!)^36 / 2^6 = (4!)^30 * 2^12 * 3^6
That's approximately 7 * 10^47 "solved" states where you could move around centers of the same color and still appear solved.

And for the n x n x n cube it would be:
(4!)^[6*floor((n-2)^2 / 4)] / 2^floor[(n-2)^2 / 4]

or

2^[17*floor((n-2)^2 / 4)] * 3^[6*floor((n-2)^2 / 4)]

"solved" states.

Here floor(x) means the greatest integer less than or equal to x.

Chris

Last edited:

CuBeOrDiE

YouTube
Visit Channel
Personally, I got unreasonably huge numbers. Here's my logic, explained with a 5x5 because its easier to explain:

Consider 1 side

On this side, there are 4 outer corner centers, which can be placed 4! ways, 4 inner corner centers, which can also be placed 4! ways, as well as inner and outer center "edge" pieces, if you know what I mean. They both can, too, be calculeted with 4!.

So 1 side has 4! x 4! x 4! x 4! combinations. Mulsiply that by 6 sides and you got it!

PS- I don't think edges can be interchanged. If they were, the stickers would be swapped. Unless you have an even layered cube... hmm...

MichaelP.

WCA
2009PERK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Personally, I got unreasonably huge numbers. Here's my logic, explained with a 5x5 because its easier to explain:

Consider 1 side

On this side, there are 4 outer corner centers, which can be placed 4! ways, 4 inner corner centers, which can also be placed 4! ways, as well as inner and outer center "edge" pieces, if you know what I mean. They both can, too, be calculeted with 4!.

So 1 side has 4! x 4! x 4! x 4! combinations. Mulsiply that by 6 sides and you got it!

PS- I don't think edges can be interchanged. If they were, the stickers would be swapped. Unless you have an even layered cube... hmm...
S and T aren't even close on the keyboard!

CuBeOrDiE

YouTube
Visit Channel
As we all know, the centers of the 7x7 have one sticker. So I think that it's logical to conclude some may be swapped and the cube still remain solved. Is this correct? And if so, how many total "solved" positions are there?

thnx

I did a calculation of this for the 20x20x20 cube here.

For the 7x7x7 there would be:
(4!)^36 / 2^6 = (4!)^30 * 2^12 * 3^6
That's approximately 7 * 10^47 "solved" states where you could move around centers of the same color and still appear solved.

And for the n x n x n cube it would be:
(4!)^[6*floor((n-2)^2 / 4)] / 2^floor[(n-2)^2 / 4]

or

2^[17*floor((n-2)^2 / 4)] * 3^[5*floor((n-2)^2 / 4)]

"solved" states.

Here floor(x) means the greatest integer less than or equal to x.

Chris

Hmm. Interesting. I got 80263249920. So I guess that wasn't insanely unreasonable...