• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to Make R3 better than DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentlix

WCA
2009BECK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have developed and tested a modification for the Rubik's Brand 3x3x3, which I shall call the 24-Mod. Before you ask, the 24-Mod gets its name from the odd coincedence that it takes 2 parts of 12 edges, 3 parts of 8 corners, and 4 parts to 6 centers, to complete the mod. That means you have to change 24 edge faces, 24 corner sections, and 24 center formations. I thought that would make this mod the 24-Mod.

I have had success 6 times with this modification, which is used on a tight Rubik's brand cube. It does not have as good of results on a DIY cube, so I am not responsible for any DIYs ruined in the making. Also, a Dollar Store (or any other cheap cube) cube WILL be killed by this mod. I have not tried this mod on a different brand than what I've mentioned, so mod at your own risk if you choose to mod another brand. Now that I got that out of the way, its time to start modding! This mod is split into 3 steps, as there are 3 types of pieces on a 3x3x3: edges, corners, and centers.

Materials:
-(File)- (makes easier)
-Sandpaper (mandatory)
-Rubik's Brand Cube (Preferably tight)

Step 1: Edges
In this step, I highly recommend a file, though sandpaper may work too. Here's where you mod:
edges.jpg
White is modified, red is not. You are not just removing plastic aimlessly. You are making the face marked with a red oval into a spherical shape. This way you can place pieces into a layer and see a full circle, not curved corners by straight edges. Do this to both sides of all 12 edges.

When you have finished, reassemble your cube and break it in for a a few days to a week, but do not lubricate. You will notice the cube is looser and can cut corners slightly. Start step 2.

Step 2: Corners
In the last step you were asked to make the layer and see a circle. It obviously wasn't a perfect circle. In this step, you make it a perfect circle.
corners.jpg
Left is modified, right is not. Once again, you aren't just taking off plastic. You are making the "stalks" of the corners that grip into the edges round, not just 3 straight lines. This can be done by file or sand paper, just its faster by file. Be sure you get the 3 sections on all 8 corners.

This made corner-cutting extremely easy. But now you'll see the pieces have awkwardness in turning. That's what step 3 is for.

Step 3: Centers
Well, you can't really expect to change the shapes of just some pieces and not expect something awkward to arise. That's why you mod the last 6 pieces- the centers.
center.jpg
You will be using your sandpaper (NOT a file) to remove those bumps found where you can see the red mark in the image. DO NOT REMOVE ANY PLASTIC FROM THE CENTERS WHERE THE EDGE TOUCHES. If you remove any unnecesary plastic, your cube will be too loose. There are 4 bumps on each of the 6 edges.

Now that the modification is finished, you can go ahead and clean your cube very well. I prefer Thrawst's way, which involves putting the pieces into a strainer basin and sticking that into hard-boiling water. You can do whatever suits you, though, as long as you get all of the newly made dust out of the cube. Once clean, lubricate. Many cubers use Silicone Spray, but I prefer Jig-A-Loo. Be sure you use spray, not vaseline-based products, as the vaseline weakens the plastic.

Once cleaned and lubricated, assemble it for the full effect of the cube. If you like it enough, you can give it a Cubesmith finish of perfect stickers/tiles to your preferance. Please ask me if you have a question about the mod. Thank you for taking this mod into consideration! Only by using this mod do you come to believe this does make the cube far better than DIYs.

Zubon

Vaseline saved my original Rubik's brand cube. But I don't dare use it with a DIY.

hyunchoi98

WCA
2012CHOI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
i'm definetly gonna try this when i get a new rubik's cube.
It's Korea here and it's REALLY hard to get a storebought cube in stores!

Edit: You should make a video tutorial on this!

Last edited:

James Ludlow

Premium Member
WCA
2009LUDL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why mod? Just break it in. Force yourself to stick with it and shout "YOU WILL BE GOOD" at it every night.

Worked for me.

Also, vasline.

You can't talk, your Rubik's brand cube is the best Rubik's brand in existence.
:p

I think Vaseline is what caused it to turn out good anyway.

Rowan, is right on this, it is amazing. I think maybe you got one of the few out of a box that had good potential. Ask Pete about my (Helen's) storebought. Fantastic cube. You'd be hard pushed to tell its storebought. The key to this being awesome is dust and general crap from on site.

Also, time.

Rentlix

WCA
2009BECK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Edit: You should make a video tutorial on this!
I will soon. I have the new crappy storebought ready, I just need to off of my AP homework other than a few minutes when I can't focus.

This has turned out far better on all my modded cubes than it has on my DIYs, and I'm constantly being asked if its actually a Rubik's cube or if the logo is wrong.

Rentlix

WCA
2009BECK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why mod? Just break it in. Force yourself to stick with it and shout "YOU WILL BE GOOD" at it every night.

Worked for me.

Also, vasline.
Why mod? Because instead of "Every night" its "15 Minutes". I don't know about you but I think its a better deal.

Vaseline doesn't help a cube if its already been modified. That would just contradict doing the mod in the first place, but give worse results.

Muesli

Premium Member
WCA
2009SMIT05
YouTube
Visit Channel

Worked for me.

Also, vasline.
Why mod? Because instead of "Every night" its "15 Minutes". I don't know about you but I think its a better deal.

Vaseline doesn't help a cube if its already been modified. That would just contradict doing the mod in the first place, but give worse results.
You should feel my Storebought. I wasn't talking about putting Vaseline in it after the mod, that would be stupid. I was talking about lubricating it with Vaseline when you get it and leaving it in for about a month. It left mine brilliant.

Rentlix

WCA
2009BECK01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Worked for me.

Also, vasline.

You should feel my Storebought. I wasn't talking about putting Vaseline in it after the mod, that would be stupid. I was talking about lubricating it with Vaseline when you get it and leaving it in for about a month. It left mine brilliant.

This takes 15 minutes, not a month.

Parity

I have developed and tested a modification for the Rubik's Brand 3x3x3, which I shall call the 24-Mod. Before you ask, the 24-Mod gets its name from the odd coincedence that it takes 2 parts of 12 edges, 3 parts of 8 corners, and 4 parts to 6 centers, to complete the mod. That means you have to change 24 edge faces, 24 corner sections, and 24 center formations. I thought that would make this mod the 24-Mod.

I have had success 6 times with this modification, which is used on a tight Rubik's brand cube. It does not have as good of results on a DIY cube, so I am not responsible for any DIYs ruined in the making. Also, a Dollar Store (or any other cheap cube) cube WILL be killed by this mod. I have not tried this mod on a different brand than what I've mentioned, so mod at your own risk if you choose to mod another brand. Now that I got that out of the way, its time to start modding! This mod is split into 3 steps, as there are 3 types of pieces on a 3x3x3: edges, corners, and centers.

Materials:
-(File)- (makes easier)
-Sandpaper (mandatory)

In this step, I highly recommend a file, though sandpaper may work too. Here's where you mod:
White is modified, red is not. You are not just removing plastic aimlessly. You are making the face marked with a red oval into a spherical shape. This way you can place pieces into a layer and see a full circle, not curved corners by straight edges. Do this to both sides of all 12 edges.

When you have finished, reassemble your cube and break it in for a a few days to a week, but do not lubricate. You will notice the cube is looser and can cut corners slightly. Start step 2.

In the last step you were asked to make the layer and see a circle. It obviously wasn't a perfect circle. In this step, you make it a perfect circle.
Left is modified, right is not. Once again, you aren't just taking off plastic. You are making the "stalks" of the corners that grip into the edges round, not just 3 straight lines. This can be done by file or sand paper, just its faster by file. Be sure you get the 3 sections on all 8 corners.

This made corner-cutting extremely easy. But now you'll see the pieces have awkwardness in turning. That's what step 3 is for.

Well, you can't really expect to change the shapes of just some pieces and not expect something awkward to arise. That's why you mod the last 6 pieces- the centers.
You will be using your sandpaper (NOT a file) to remove those bumps found where you can see the red mark in the image. DO NOT REMOVE ANY PLASTIC FROM THE CENTERS WHERE THE EDGE TOUCHES. If you remove any unnecesary plastic, your cube will be too loose. There are 4 bumps on each of the 6 edges.

Now that the modification is finished, you can go ahead and clean your cube very well. I prefer Thrawst's way, which involves putting the pieces into a strainer basin and sticking that into hard-boiling water. You can do whatever suits you, though, as long as you get all of the newly made dust out of the cube. Once clean, lubricate. Many cubers use Silicone Spray, but I prefer Jig-A-Loo. Be sure you use spray, not vaseline-based products, as the vaseline weakens the plastic.

Once cleaned and lubricated, assemble it for the full effect of the cube. If you like it enough, you can give it a Cubesmith finish of perfect stickers/tiles to your preferance. Please ask me if you have a question about the mod. Thank you for taking this mod into consideration! Only by using this mod do you come to believe this does make the cube far better than DIYs.

Can you make a video of the results?
And video the pieces? I couldn't see the curved edges well.

minsarker

Materials:
-(File)- (makes easier)
-Sandpaper (mandatory)

Can you make a video of the results?
And video the pieces? I couldn't see the curved edges well.

I second this. I would love to see pics of the pieces from different angles or just a video or something. I can barely tell what you are calling for when you say circle and what not.

lilcuber9

thanks, are you gono make how to mod an r4 and r5?

(this is 4545121212124545 from youtube)

Status
Not open for further replies.