• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Yongjun has completed the design for 13*13*13 cube pattern?

r_517

Premium Member
WCA
2009WANG19
I just translated the following articles from the spokesman of Yongjun from mf8(The biggest cubing forum in China Mainland). I have no relation with them anyway.

We have completed the design for the pattern of 13*13*13 cube. We believe that this is the most difficult and has the most precision among all the cubing products. According to the computer's calculating result, we have the ability and facilities to make it. We believe it will be a legand that may not be broken in many years. We will make the pattern between Oct. and Nov., and it will be in volume production in June, 2010.

Our first products are indeed knockoffs. We are trying hard to get rid of it by making lots of new independently developed products.

Muesli

Premium Member
WCA
2009SMIT05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't see the point in any cube larger than 7x7x7. The challenge has reached it's apex and it's only elitists and collectors that will buy it. I predict that the 13*13*13 cube will only take longer to solve than the 7x7x7, and throw up no new complications.

Lux Aeterna

I don't see the point in any cube larger than 7x7x7. The challenge has reached it's apex and it's only elitists and collectors that will buy it. I predict that the 13*13*13 cube will only take longer to solve than the 7x7x7, and throw up no new complications.

Well, unless I'm missing something, if you can solve a 4x4 and a 5x5 (i.e. you can solve a 3x3 and you know the 4x4 and 5x5 parity algorithms), you can solve any cube whatsoever, just with the regular reduction method, and easy commutators for the centers. The challenge with bigger cubes is not finding new methods to solve it, it's how long it takes you to recognize whatever pattern you're looking for at any given step.

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
While that's true [above poster], where were the V6 and V7 made?
After the 4 and the 5, wouldn't things just repeat in terms of the new challenges? I haven't solved beyond a 4 so if I'm wrong let me know, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Still the V6 and V7 become very popular, and I see the same thing happening again with Verdes releases the V8 and V9.

EDIT: Responding the 2 posts above.

Dirk BerGuRK

I would certainly love to have a cube that large, but I am skeptical of the quality if a design was actually created. It sounds like a lot of pieces and a lot of chances for one to break. I doubt it would be well suited for speedcubing. Also a cube that large would seem mighty expensive. I would like to see some reviews before I bought one.

Muesli

Premium Member
WCA
2009SMIT05
YouTube
Visit Channel

Well, unless I'm missing something, if you can solve a 4x4 and a 5x5 (i.e. you can solve a 3x3 and you know the 4x4 and 5x5 parity algorithms), you can solve any cube whatsoever, just with the regular reduction method, and easy commutators for the centers. The challenge with bigger cubes is not finding new methods to solve it, it's how long it takes you to recognize whatever pattern you're looking for at any given step.

Exactly. It's going to be a test of endurance, not problem solving.

TPIS: The 13*13*13 will be a very boring puzzle.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It is cool to see that they are planning on producing a puzzle that nobody else has planned, although I wonder if they are still using the V-mech for it (which could arguably still count as intellectual property infringement).

I am one of the people who would buy a 13x13 for solving, incidentally. Probably wouldn't solve it very much (except at the beginning hehe) but it would be cool to own one.

r_517

Premium Member
WCA
2009WANG19
It is cool to see that they are planning on producing a puzzle that nobody else has planned, although I wonder if they are still using the V-mech for it (which could arguably still count as intellectual property infringement).

I am one of the people who would buy a 13x13 for solving, incidentally. Probably wouldn't solve it very much (except at the beginning hehe) but it would be cool to own one.

Verdes didn't have a design for 13*13:) however none of us has ever seen the design or the pattern, but i'm looking forwarding to it. Hope i can get one for free:D. They sometimes send new products for free randomly to the cubers on bbs.mf8.com.cn;) Some people said that their KO 9*9 will be sold at about €50, so i think maybe 13*13 will be €100?

LNZ

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Verdes only has patents up to 11x11x11. So a 13x13x13 is not a knockoff puzzle.

But I would be turned off at the cost and the time taken to solve it. I'm not the fastest cuber in the world (but faster than 99% + worldwide though) and given my PB for a V7 of 28:30, a 13x13x13 would take me hours to solve. I would get bored long before finishing it. My limit without getting bored would be a 9x9x9 at the highest.

YouTube
Visit Channel
A 13x13?! Come on! You know, there is a reason why the V-Cube company only plans to go up to an 11x11. Even if this Verdes did make a 13x13, the quality would probably be as bad as the Gigaminx. & if a knock off company makes it, ewww, it just makes me cringe!

Oh & by the way, I'm pretty sure that just because the original inventor didn't patent his puzzle, doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a knock off. I knock off is a puzzle that is made without the inventors consent. Remember the knock offs of Tony Fishers cubes? He hasn't panted them, but they're still knock offs.

JTW2007

BattsMan
2008WARL01

It's not like they would have to invent anything new though to make a 13x13x13, providing they just take the design from the Verdes patents. You can't expect Verdes to patent every variant of his design. I would say that it's a knockoff as long as it uses the same design of the V-cubes, even if Verdes never intended to produce this specific model.

but then you could call any 3x3 thats not rubik's a knock off of the original

Yes, you could.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel

It's not like they would have to invent anything new though to make a 13x13x13, providing they just take the design from the Verdes patents. You can't expect Verdes to patent every variant of his design. I would say that it's a knockoff as long as it uses the same design of the V-cubes, even if Verdes never intended to produce this specific model.

The patent explicitly explains that the design only works through 11x11x11. After that, there are rumors that Verdes had solutions for how to build up to 17x17x17, but that's not included in the patent. So in theory, they couldn't have just taken the design from the Verdes patents - the design in the patents can't be used past 11x11x11.

Also, I think it's interesting to note that Verdes claimed in the patent that the larger sizes might not work very well with plastic:
It is suggested that the construction material for the solid parts can be mainly plastic of good quality, while for N=10 and N=11 it could be replaced by aluminum.

So I wonder if a plastic 13x13x13 will really even work? If not, I'm guessing it might be even more expensive, and I also wonder if an aluminum cube could ever move very fast.

Still, I have to admit that if a 13x13x13 ever came out, I would want very much to own one, and I would probably be willing to pay pretty much to have it. I'd want to try to BLD it, even if that took all day. (Quick calculation [I hope I did it right] gave 866 pieces, which would be approximately equivalent to 4 7x7x7s! I'd guess that would take 8 or 9 hours on the first attempt.)

JTW2007

BattsMan
2008WARL01
The patent explicitly explains that the design only works through 11x11x11. After that, there are rumors that Verdes had solutions for how to build up to 17x17x17, but that's not included in the patent.

Interesting.

Also, I think it's interesting to note that Verdes claimed in the patent that the larger sizes might not work very well with plastic:
It is suggested that the construction material for the solid parts can be mainly plastic of good quality, while for N=10 and N=11 it could be replaced by aluminum.

Interestinger.

Still, I have to admit that if a 13x13x13 ever came out, I would want very much to own one, and I would probably be willing to pay pretty much to have it. I'd want to try to BLD it, even if that took all day. (Quick calculation [I hope I did it right] gave 866 pieces, which would be approximately equivalent to 4 7x7x7s! I'd guess that would take 8 or 9 hours on the first attempt.)

Even more interestinger.

Where did you hear that he had a new design for up to 17x17x17?