• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

Sergey

N35 is the lowest so they're not below that.

To remove, soak the pieces in warm water to loosen the glue then use pliers to pull them out.
Thanks! Will try. You're right, N35 is the lowest for 80C working temperature (N-mark), but for the higher temp there are magnets starting from grade 28.

Hazel

Premium Member
What size/strength magnets should I use for an X-Man Tornado 3x3? Strength is subjective, but I don't know the difference between them. I like the strength on the mass-produced GTS3M, but I don't know if they would be too strong on the Tornado.

teh yoshi

I'm going to use N52 4x2 magnets on a YLM 3x3, is that okay?
If that is the true strength and not some knock-off from eBay that is secretly N35, then you will definitely kill that cube. I personally believe magnets that strong has no place in cubing.

Or you can just do it anyway and let us know the results. Enjoy your Excalibur Cube!

GWJD

It's not really from Gaussboys, so I'm not sure about how strong it might be.

Bui An

just magnetised yuxin red

corner outer edge n35 4x2

outer edge inner edge n35 4x2

inner edge 35 4x1.5

i feel outer inner edge magnets need to be a little bit stronger

CraZZ CFOP

WCA
2018HUGE02
I'm going to use N52 4x2 magnets on a YLM 3x3, is that okay?
If you don't want the magnets to be too strong, put some sort of sheet (Maybe like a layer of duct tape) right under each magnet, so that the magnets wouldn't obstruct turning too much.

sillyturdle

@teh yoshi hey i think i saw in your spreadsheet that you magged a black kirin. How did turn out in your estimation? Strong, weak, goldie locks. Also did it end up being a good cube overall?

teh yoshi

@teh yoshi hey i think i saw in your spreadsheet that you magged a black kirin. How did turn out in your estimation? Strong, weak, goldie locks. Also did it end up being a good cube overall?
I think the magnets I used turned out to be quite all right, although I prefer to have them a little stronger than that (but that wouldn't be very economical, considering this is already one of the cheapest 3x3s on the market). The cube ended up being okay, but it truly feels like a budget of a budget cube. It's like a Little Magic, but a lot slower and grossly sandier. A cube that light and having one of the thinnest plastics around would benefit from being faster and having even stronger magnets, I think.

sillyturdle

The cube ended up being okay, but it truly feels like a budget of a budget cube. It's like a Little Magic, but a lot slower and grossly sandier. A cube that light and having one of the thinnest plastics around would benefit from being faster and having even stronger magnets, I think.
Interesting. I agree it feels like the cheapest thing I've ever turned, but I average 17.5 with it (after warm up solves); which is exactly what I average with my gts2m. So I'm kinda torn on if I should invest in the right magnets, which would be more expensive than the cost of the cube, or if I should hold off and do something else with my time and money...

noobecube

Hi everyone,

I'm totally noob here, so please be easy on me :)

I'm on my 3rd week of cubing and I started last week with CFOP and I also got the GAN 356 X with tension nuts and magnets.
What's not clear to me is how to replace the magnets on the corner pieces.

Do I need to take the corner piece out and remove the coloured plastic, so I can push out the existing magnet?
I couldn't find anything with google. They all show the side pieces but never really go over the corners.
Or am I missing something?

Thank you!

noobecube

I am quite sure that the corner magnets are not made for changing.

And changing magnets is something useful if you are sub 15... (seconds)

The change I made to the nuts does feel better. the magnets change is just for the learning experience, not for being sub-anything :)

Ethan Epstein

Hello, I want to make a GTS2M, however I don't know which magnets to use. As far as I understand, many people prefer N35 4*2mm and many like N50 4*2mm magnets. I do have a Supernova MF3RS2M, and I really enjoy it and like the feel of it. Considering that, what do you think I would like better?
Thank you!

teh yoshi

Hello, I want to make a GTS2M, however I don't know which magnets to use. As far as I understand, many people prefer N35 4*2mm and many like N50 4*2mm magnets. I do have a Supernova MF3RS2M, and I really enjoy it and like the feel of it. Considering that, what do you think I would like better?
Thank you!
N50 4x2 is ridiculously strong for any 3x3, provided they are the real deal (since many sellers on eBay will actually end up being N35, anyway). N35 4x2 will be far too weak for the GTS2 due to how thick the plastic is in that cube. In general, you want strong magnets for fast cubes and weaker magnets for slower and controllable cubes. The GTS2 is on the faster side, so I believe the best magnets for that cube would be N42 5x1, but you'd have to buy that at special magnet shops online such as Gaussboys if you're based in the US. The feeling of that magnet is strong, but not overbearing, and due to it being wider than 4mm discs, they feel a lot smoother and less bumpy or snappy.

Ethan Epstein

N50 4x2 is ridiculously strong for any 3x3, provided they are the real deal (since many sellers on eBay will actually end up being N35, anyway). N35 4x2 will be far too weak for the GTS2 due to how thick the plastic is in that cube. In general, you want strong magnets for fast cubes and weaker magnets for slower and controllable cubes. The GTS2 is on the faster side, so I believe the best magnets for that cube would be N42 5x1, but you'd have to buy that at special magnet shops online such as Gaussboys if you're based in the US. The feeling of that magnet is strong, but not overbearing, and due to it being wider than 4mm discs, they feel a lot smoother and less bumpy or snappy.

OK, so where can I get this type of magnet if I am not in the US? I searched eBay, and the closest I could find was N42 5x2mm, and N42 5x1.4mm. Do you think this is fine? Or is it too strong as well? I also found N50 5x0.5mm and N35 5x2mm.

Last edited:

teh yoshi

OK, so where can I get this type of magnet if I am not in the US? I searched eBay, and the closest I could find was N42 5x2mm, and N42 5x1.4mm. Do you think this is fine? Or is it too strong as well? I also found N50 5x0.5mm and N35 5x2mm.
You can find N42 5x1 on AliExpress.
You can also find N45 5x1 on Supramagnets. They're from China, so surely they'll ship internationally. The difference in strength from N42 5x1 is hardly noticeable to basically negligent.