• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to Become Fast at Skewb using Sarah's Intermediate

AMCuber

I currently average 6-8 seconds using Sarah's Intermediate. How can I improve?

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
I currently average 6-8 seconds using Sarah's Intermediate. How can I improve?
For starters, Practice a lot:) I know that you probably already know that, but that is one of the most important things that you can do. Also, make sure that you practice getting your first layer solved in 6 or less moves (I say 6 because that is what I get quite often). To go off of the first layer, make sure that you have everything planned out for the first layer during inspection.

Make sure that you know that polish sledge and hedge really well and that you can execute it fast, since that is pretty much the main thing that you will/can/are doing after your first layer.

Make sure that you have really good look ahead, and are able to predict (or almost predict) what OLL case you will have as you finish up the first layer. Work on your

TPS, because once you know your first layer, or what OLL case you will have, the only thing at that point is to have good TPS (and fluid TPS)

This video as well as all is other videos does a great job explaning things to keep in mind or work on for getting sub 5 and below. And although the video says "Sub 5 and below" there might be some good pointers for you or some tips that might be help you out.

I hope that this helps, but please ask more questions as they come. Lastly, I am sure that there are a few things I am forgetting to add, but I know that there are many other faster Skewbers on these forums that might be able to provide some better advice. And just so you know, I am averaging around 5 seconds at the moment, so I am not to good yet.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
How can I predict the OLL case?
Just like you would do on 2x2 if you use LBL. And what I mean, is if you can plan your first layer out in inspection then as you are solving that then you can look ahead and see how the U layer pieces are setting up (as in what OLL case it will be). The other thing that you can do is, if you can already plan your first layer during inspection, then you could practice planning the first layer and what OLL case you will get. Hope that this helps.

AMCuber

Also, how can I move efficiently if a corner is disoriented? (hard to explain) Takes me three moves just for one corner to be disoriented.
How can I improve on my H and Z Perms?

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
I would actually suggests learning advanced If you want to improve. It's not as many cases as you may think, as many of the cases are basically the same thing in advanced.
Thank you for mentioning that. I was thinking about adding that in above, but I was not certain if that was what @AMCuber, was thinking about, but I guess that I should have, so thank you for doing it.

If you do not mind me asking, but what would be the best way to start learning Sarah's Advanced cases? I was looking at starting with them, but there seems to be so many, but I am sure that these is a relatively easy way of going about it. Thank you very much in advance for your help.

AMCuber

Speaking of CLL, I am currently learning CLL. I can recognise all of the cases, but it takes me like 2 seconds to analyze the CLL.

CarterK

WCA
2015KUCA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you for mentioning that. I was thinking about adding that in above, but I was not certain if that was what @AMCuber, was thinking about, but I guess that I should have, so thank you for doing it.

If you do not mind me asking, but what would be the best way to start learning Sarah's Advanced cases? I was looking at starting with them, but there seems to be so many, but I am sure that these is a relatively easy way of going about it. Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Most of the advanced cases are just doing intermediate from different angles. Sledges and hedges are just predicting what you are going to get, and the rest are pretty easy. I suggest Luigi's tutorial, but that isn't finished, so I'd go to Kennan's after watching Luigi's.

Duncan Bannon

Speaking of CLL, I am currently learning CLL. I can recognise all of the cases, but it takes me like 2 seconds to analyze the CLL.

Cool. Practicing solves while using CLL would be the best way to get better. You can also use a CLL trainer. You can find that by simply googling CLL trainer.

Trexrush1

WCA
2013MAZU02
Are there any good resources for skewb layer cases/ tips?
It's my weakest point, I struggle to find good consistent layer solutions, especially for scrambles with 1 or no corners solved.

CarterK

WCA
2015KUCA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Are there any good resources for skewb layer cases/ tips?
It's my weakest point, I struggle to find good consistent layer solutions, especially for scrambles with 1 or no corners solved.
This was something i struggled with too. Go to CStimer and go to skewb scrambles. Find the most efficient layer you can (try to do this without turning the cube) and then type that into CStimer. For finding things, just try doing random triggers and see what they do to different layers.

AMCuber

Most of the advanced cases are just doing intermediate from different angles. Sledges and hedges are just predicting what you are going to get, and the rest are pretty easy. I suggest Luigi's tutorial, but that isn't finished, so I'd go to Kennan's after watching Luigi's.
Is there a printable paper which I could use, instead of this video?