• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Hello - new solver!

40yearstosolve

Premium Member
Hello everyone,

I recently picked up my Rubik’s cube after 40 years whilst recovering from cancer.

As well as getting my all-clear I ‘solved’ the cube --technically I cheated through education ツ

I am a total n00b and although the euphoria of seeing those single-coloured sides is 40 years overdue and will last me a lifetime, I am looking to take it to the next level and learn to solve the cube without my notes in front of me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Looking forward to being note-free and getting to a point where it’s worthwile recording me time!

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Hello everyone,

I recently picked up my Rubik’s cube after 40 years whilst recovering from cancer.

As well as getting my all-clear I ‘solved’ the cube --technically I cheated through education ツ

I am a total n00b and although the euphoria of seeing those single-coloured sides is 40 years overdue and will last me a lifetime, I am looking to take it to the next level and learn to solve the cube without my notes in front of me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Looking forward to being note-free and getting to a point where it’s worthwile recording me time!
Welcome @40yearstosolve to the forums. It is nice to have you here and I hope that you enjoy your time here. What cube are you using at the moment?

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello everyone,

Hello and welcome to the forum. Glad to hear you have the all clear!

There are half a dozen or so of us "oldies" from the UK who are regulars on the older cubers thread - @mark49152, @newtonbase, @Selkie, @Shaky Hands, @bubbagrub and myself @Logiqx.

Feel free to drop in and join the chat!

40yearstosolve

Premium Member
Welcome @40yearstosolve to the forums. It is nice to have you here and I hope that you enjoy your time here. What cube are you using at the moment?
Hi, thank you - sorry for delay replying I didn’t have notifications switched on!

I of course started with a genuin Rubik’s but bought a £10 Moyu AoLong and it’s amazing. I tried the Weilong too but didn’t like it as much.

The AuLong isn’t so much about the speed it’s just nicer/smoother to use. And my wife can’t hear it :)

How well did I choose?

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Hi, thank you - sorry for delay replying I didn’t have notifications switched on!

I of course started with a genuin Rubik’s but bought a £10 Moyu AoLong and it’s amazing. I tried the Weilong too but didn’t like it as much.

The AuLong isn’t so much about the speed it’s just nicer/smoother to use. And my wife can’t hear it :)

How well did I choose?
No worries at all about the delayed response. As you can see I am not much better myself:D.

The AoLong is a great cube and I have 2 myself, and I will still use them from time to time.
However in regards to what the best 3x3 is on the market today, the Gans 356 Air SM, Qiyi Valk Power M, Yuxin HuangLong M, and the Yuxin Little Magic M are probably the top options and the ones that a lot of cubers are using. But with that being said, I do not think that you have to get one of those if you are happy with the AoLong, but if you are looking at getting a new 3x3 then the ones listed are the way to go.
Lastly, out of the 3x3 mentioned, if you are looking for a quite one then the Gans 356 Air SM and the Valk Power M are the quietest, at least from what I have tried and think:)

Happy Cubing!

40yearstosolve

Premium Member
I am in good company then with the AuLong.

I will look at the others you mentioned cheers - Father’s Day coming up :)

I did find a small problem with the AuLong - brought on by my kids - it can be made unsolvable! It took me a day to figure out they had twisted one of the corners 90 degrees. I kept trying to solve and assuming I had done something wrong. Eventually resorting to an online solver which told me it was impossible haha! A few twists of the corner block later and it was solved. I did buy the WeiLong which I think I may have read it solves this problem but had returned it (Amazon) because it didn’t feel as nice to use.