• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

WCA World Championship 2019-Melbourne Australia July 11-14

Loser

WCA
2016QUIN01
January 15th edit: The site is up!
https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/competitions/WC2019
https://wc2019.speedcubing.org.au/en/

November 2nd edit: Speedcubing Australia has posted on their Facebook page that it will indeed be held July 11-14!

August 29th Edit: Its in Melbourne! They applied for July 11-14, so I'm guessing that will be the date, but it's unconfirmed.
https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/posts/wca-world-championship-2019-in-melbourne-australia

https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/posts/applications-for-world-championship-2019
Very interesting that they're taking applications. Thoughts on who from where will apply?

Live stream:
probably

Last edited by a moderator:

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/posts/applications-for-world-championship-2019
Very interesting that they're taking applications. Thoughts on who from where will apply?
I personally think that China is going to want and host the World Championships, and I would not be surprised if they did.

If they do not end up hosting it then I am pretty sure that it will still be somewhere in Asia, such as Japan or something akin. But this is just my thought and I look forward to seeing who ends up getting it hosted.

Loser

WCA
2016QUIN01
Asia is what I've been thinking too, specifically Japan.

Also, just thinking of where we might see people apply from in the USA, even though a USA world's in 2019 I think is unlikely.
Texas is a possibility, but for some reason I don't really think Texas would get it.
Northeast might get it, but I think anywhere big enough would be too expensive.
California I think is the leading possibility for the US, as airports, cities, people, and cubers are in high capacity.
Somewhere in the Midwest, maybe Minnesota or Chicago also strikes me as it has a chance.
But it all really depends on who applys. I also heard that Kit said that cubingusa isn't applying. I feel that they might in 2021 and if they do I think they would get it.

Burnsy101

Asia has not hosted since 2011, so that may be a possibility. I think that South Africa - and countries such as Tunisia in Africa - are unlikely, given the small(er) amount of cubers there. I think that Oceania may be a possibility. As it has produced 2 cubers who are incredibly influential in todays community (Feliks and Jay), and has still not hosted a worlds, it might happen. I know that it is quite far away from... well everything else, but who knows?

Asia has not hosted since 2011, so that may be a possibility. I think that South Africa - and countries such as Tunisia in Africa - are unlikely, given the small(er) amount of cubers there. I think that Oceania may be a possibility. As it has produced 2 cubers who are incredibly influential in todays community (Feliks and Jay), and has still not hosted a worlds, it might happen. I know that it is quite far away from... well everything else, but who knows?
No way. Unless you live in AUS, you need to fly, and thats hard for some people, but in Paris you can get there by car/train from pretty much anywhere in Europe.

Burnsy101

But Vegas, and Rio both do not have great transport infrastructure. There are no trains, and you need a plane to get to th m, no different to Australia.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
It'd be cool to see Minneapolis someday. That's only about a 4-hour drive for me. The Alliant Energy Center in Madison, WI would be plenty big, too, and that's only about 2 hours from me.

Loser

WCA
2016QUIN01
Cubingusa isn't applying likely because of regionals, but that doesn't stop any other delegates from applying. I wouldn't be surprised if Eric Zhao recruits a few delegates and applys. He applied for every single regional, has hosted and is going to host a few comps with up to 500 ppl, and other competitions all around the us. He also applied for South American champs.

weatherman223

WCA
2017MILL04

CarterK

WCA
2015KUCA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here are my thoughts:

China: Most likely option, Asia hasn't held since 2011. Good for sightseeing.

Belarus: Almost definitely no. There isn't much in Belarus compared to the other options and it's really hard to get to. Also there's no way they'd do it in Europe twice in a row.

Australia: Kinda far away from everything else. Hasn't held big comps in the past. Good for sightseeing and hasn't held a wc yet.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
To be fair, Jay lives in Canberra, which is like 400 miles (630km) away from Melbourne.
I don't know anything about Australian organizational teams, but I would assume that they aren't the same for both cities and do things differently.

Or maybe it's just that things changed since Jay made that post.