• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

1 Body Cubing 2018 (Colorado)

Joel2274

Hey there everybody
Been a while since I posted on the forums but I'm back and have confirmation on a potential competition in Pueblo Colorado. Just wanted to check in and see who would make it and what events you want. It'll most likely happen August 18th which is still pretty far away but I started on my last competition kind of late and had to sort out some last minute stuff. anyway any input on events and stuff would be great.
Joel

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Hey there everybody
Been a while since I posted on the forums but I'm back and have confirmation on a potential competition in Pueblo Colorado. Just wanted to check in and see who would make it and what events you want. It'll most likely happen August 18th which is still pretty far away but I started on my last competition kind of late and had to sort out some last minute stuff. anyway any input on events and stuff would be great.
Joel
Congratulations @Joel2274 for getting the competition unofficial announced and thank you for doing it. As far as events go, I am happy with any (or all :D) events. If you want some specific events then I would say Square 1, Clock, Megaminx, 5x5 - 7x7, 4x4 BLD, 3x3 BLD or MBLD, 5x5 BLD, Pyraminx, and Skweb. Also 2x2-4x4 are definitely options as well, but the latter are my top options. With that all being said, this is your competition that you are hosting and it is all up to you in the end.

I am already really looking forward to it, and again please let me know if you need any help with anything.

weatherman223

WCA
2017MILL04
I would most likely make it since it’s after nats and isn’t in my golf season.

3-7, all side events excluding feet, tentative blind? Is what I would like to see.

Blind events should be hosted at a PBQ comp, which could be organized in the Springs Area Or Denver

Last edited:

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01

3-7, all side events excluding feet, tentative blind? Is what I would like to see.

Blind events should be hosted at a PBQ comp, which could be organized in the Springs Area Or Denver
I am sorry for not understanding, but could you please tell me what PBQ stands for. And those are some great event options!

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
PBQ = Please Be Quiet. Usually consists of all blind events and FMC, hence the name, please be quiet.
That makes a lot of sense now, and thank you for letting me know. I never really paid attention to that, but now I know. And I completely agree that it would be really cool if we had PBQ comp in Colorado. If there is anyone that has a venue and wants to get something started like that, but needs some help I can easily help out, but unfortunately I do not have the time at the moment to do it myself.

Joel2274

Thinking about doing 3BLD. If not the events will probably end up being 2-5 OH and some others.
That makes a lot of sense now, and thank you for letting me know. I never really paid attention to that, but now I know. And I completely agree that it would be really cool if we had PBQ comp in Colorado. If there is anyone that has a venue and wants to get something started like that, but needs some help I can easily help out, but unfortunately I do not have the time at the moment to do it myself.
How difficult was it to host 3BLD at your comp?

weatherman223

WCA
2017MILL04
Thinking about doing 3BLD. If not the events will probably end up being 2-5 OH and some others.

Was at the comp. Did help with staff.

Blind did seem to go okay. Two competitors however just signed up for it without practice and one had a 19 minute DNF and a time limit DNF. This cause the comp to run behind by about 15 mins? Just make a moderate to strict cumulative time limit (I suggest 15-17 minutes, will give 5 mins per Attempt at most.

The hardest event to run at Colorado comps is by far megaminx. Oh holy hell megaminx. Way too long to scramble, way too long to solve, way too little time given for it. If you have many stations, take advantage of it. Get about 4 scramblers, a single runner and 10 judges and fill up all the tables. Go turbo mode. Make 1-3 heats instead of 4, and make the time given 1:15 and you should be good there.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
To be honest, 3x3 BLD is just like having any other event, meaning that all you need is about 45min-1hr for it depending on how many people sign up for it, how many timers you have, and what cutoff you have for it. At the November comp there were only 9 people that signed and it took about 45 minutes total, and I had the cutoff of 10 minutes per attempt. If you decide to have 3x3 BLD, you just have to make sure that you have something for the judges to place in front of the competitor when they are solving. Other then that it is really easy.

weatherman223

WCA
2017MILL04
To be honest, 3x3 BLD is just like having any other event, meaning that all you need is about 45min-1hr for it depending on how many people sign up for it, how many timers you have, and what cutoff you have for it. At the November comp there were only 9 people that signed and it took about 45 minutes total, and I had the cutoff of 10 minutes per attempt. If you decide to have 3x3 BLD, you just have to make sure that you have something for the judges to place in front of the competitor when they are solving. Other then that it is really easy.

And don’t forget to make sure they have blindfolds.

Joel2274

Okie doke I'll probably have blind then. That makes the lineup 2-5 blind and oh. Might add one more or have an unofficial event.
And don’t forget to make sure they have blindfolds.
The judges? I thought competitors had to bring their own.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Okie doke I'll probably have blind then. That makes the lineup 2-5 blind and oh. Might add one more or have an unofficial event.

The judges? I thought competitors had to bring their own.
Yes! The competitors are required to bring there own blindfold : WCA regulations B1b) The competitor supplies their own blindfold. If for some unknown and strange reason you have a extra blind or so you can have it on hand in case someone needs one, but what I would recommend is to email all the competitors that will be competing in BLD a week or two before the comp, and remind them that they need to bring a blindfold.

I am already really looking forward to the competition!

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Hey @Joel2274

Are there any updates on the competition, such as it still going to happen, what events you are having etc? If you are still planning on hosting the competition, then I personally would recommend that you finalize everything for it (date and events) and post the comp on the WCA website soon, like within the next month-month and a half.

weatherman223

WCA
2017MILL04
Hey @Joel2274

Are there any updates on the competition, such as it still going to happen, what events you are having etc? If you are still planning on hosting the competition, then I personally would recommend that you finalize everything for it (date and events) and post the comp on the WCA website soon, like within the next month-month and a half.

Yeah, I’m not sure if I can go until it’s official, I’m most likely doing JV Golf for my high school this year and the comp might land on a tournament. The sooner he better!

Joel2274

Hey @Joel2274

Yeah, I’m not sure if I can go until it’s official, I’m most likely doing JV Golf for my high school this year and the comp might land on a tournament. The sooner he better!
Thank you both for the interest! It is still in the works and I hope to have the website finalized in about 2 weeks if AJ approves. I also apologize for the slow responses, as I don't spend as much time on the forums as I used to. More details will be released with the website.
Thanks!
Joel.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Thank you both for the interest! It is still in the works and I hope to have the website finalized in about 2 weeks if AJ approves. I also apologize for the slow responses, as I don't spend as much time on the forums as I used to. More details will be released with the website.
Thanks!
Joel.
Cool! That sound great and thank you very much for the response. It is nice to see that you are still around in the cubing world:) I hope that everything works out for in getting the website set up, and I look forward to seeing what events you have.

Joel2274

Cool! That sound great and thank you very much for the response. It is nice to see that you are still around in the cubing world:) I hope that everything works out for in getting the website set up, and I look forward to seeing what events you have.
Thanks! We will be having 2-5, OH, blind, and skewb

Did AJ approve?
I've just sent him a draft of the schedule a few days ago...still waiting on a reply.

@Joel2274 any confirmation on events being hosted?
2-5 OH blind and skewb