• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Diy magnetic cube discussion/ accomplishments

Garrett C.

WCA
2016CLAR11
YouTube
Visit Channel
post here the different magnetic cubes that you have made, as well as your favorite magnetic cube.
Also, this is a good place to discuss the process/ difficulty of magnetizing certain cubes, or ask questions.

My first question: What 3x3 cube is the easiest to magnatize?

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
We do have a magnets thread already but, in case this doesn't get merged, capped cubes are a little easier but have a look at a few videos and you should be fine with most 3x3s. I've done a Senhuan Mars, a Guanlong, a Weilong GTS and six Thunderclaps. None were difficult.

rumarfer28

I hated my Yuxin blue because the outer layers felt kind of loose and uncontrollable after putting thunderclap springs. I magnetized it with 4x2 N35 and now it's fast but controllable and stable. Additionally, now the layers doesn't missalign when I do Uu moves, wich is a problem of the stock Yuxin blue. I didn't magnetize the inner layers because I don't think it's necessary.

I have magnetized an Aolong V2 with 4x2 N35 and it's nice. I love the feeling, althrough I get the same times with the non-magnetized Aolong V2 I have. I have the magnetized one much looser, but it's surprisingly more stable. The speed it's almost the same in both cubes.

And finnally I magnetized my Dayan 2x2. I used 1x2 N35 magnets. They are extremely weak, so I used 3 magnets instead of one (I first tried with one, then two, and finnally three, you only have to glue the first one, the other ones are attracted to the glued one). I can't tell the cube is magnetized by turning it, but now I can have the cube looser while being stable and with no poping, except when I'm very unaccurate, because now it's extremely easy to take out a piece.

I think with higher orther cubes it's only interesting to magnetize some layers. For example, with the wushuang or the wuji the second layers tends to missalign when turning the outer layers, so magnetizing them would avoid this problem.
I don't see the point in magnetize the outer layers of a 6x6 or 7x7, or the middle layers for example.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I think with higher orther cubes it's only interesting to magnetize some layers. For example, with the wushuang or the wuji the second layers tends to missalign when turning the outer layers, so magnetizing them would avoid this problem.
I don't see the point in magnetize the outer layers of a 6x6 or 7x7, or the middle layers for example.

I'm going to finish my Aoshi (eventually) with full magnets, but I have a YuFu that is very fast but the inner layers misalign. I can't fit magnets in the corners, but after I finish my Aoshi I'm going to try magnetizing just the inner 5 layers of the YuFu.

I wouldn't have thought of not magnetizing the center slice of even cubes. I'm inclined to think that the additional stability would be especially important during parity algs.

Garrett C.

WCA
2016CLAR11
YouTube
Visit Channel
We do have a magnets thread already but, in case this doesn't get merged, capped cubes are a little easier but have a look at a few videos and you should be fine with most 3x3s. I've done a Senhuan Mars, a Guanlong, a Weilong GTS and six Thunderclaps. None were difficult.
My thinking was that the magnets thread was for like what magnets to buy mostly, i felt like this was less specific

Abare Killer

Does anyone know a website that sells cheap n38 and n42 magnets but cheap shipping to Australia? Other websites suggested have very expensive shipping and also ebay doesn't have n38 and n42 magnets.

mitja

WCA
2016POPO02
I tried thunderclap springs on my magnetised 4x4 Wuque, it came out incredibly fast. Did anyone try it. I know lots of people ( including me) did that spring swap with yuxin blue, but with Wuque?

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
yeah how fast can you crank out a valk or gts? 30 mins? maybe even less now? If im really focusing it can take me around an hour
I can do a Thunderclap in 30 mins if I really go for it. At that rate you would still 1000 hours to get through those magnets. You are either super fast, have a brilliant method or you work every waking hour.