• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
S

Scruggsy13

What is the difference between shades and color schemes?
I've heard the two used interchangeably, but in general a shade is a variant of a color (e.g. navy blue vs royal blue vs columbia blue) where a color scheme is a set of shades used in combination (e.g. half-brights).

Torch

WCA
2014GOSL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A color scheme is an arrangement of colors on the cube. Shades are the choices of how exactly bright or dark you want those colors to be. I would consider changing just one color (pink for red, or black for white) not to be an entirely new color scheme, but just a variant.

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
A color scheme is an arrangement of colors on the cube. Shades are the choices of how exactly bright or dark you want those colors to be. I would consider changing just one color (pink for red, or black for white) not to be an entirely new color scheme, but just a variant.
Really? Because I'd consider one different color to be a different scheme. I'm not sure I'd ever apply the word "entirely," because it's such a small set.
For instance, I consider swapping in pink for red to be a different scheme.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
You can have different colour schemes with the same shades. For example the Japanese colour scheme is red opposite orange, green opposite yellow, and blue opposite white.

If I look at the standard stickers that came on my cubes, I'd consider the Valk, the Zhanchi and the Aolong to all have the same colour scheme, although they are different shades.

CubingGenius

I have a Guoguan Xinghen 2x2. I've done other 200 solves with it and it's never corner twisted. It is quite easy to twist the corner manually though. My brother keeps doing R R' R R' etc. and he gets corner twists all the time though. Oddly I've never had a single corner twist using it myself and I've got a 6.30 avg100 with it. Would you say the corner twisting is an issue?

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
I have a Guoguan Xinghen 2x2. I've done other 200 solves with it and it's never corner twisted. It is quite easy to twist the corner manually though. My brother keeps doing R R' R R' etc. and he gets corner twists all the time though. Oddly I've never had a single corner twist using it myself and I've got a 6.30 avg100 with it. Would you say the corner twisting is an issue?
Nope. Whether something is an issue or not depends on who's using it, so if it's not an issue for you, then, well... It's not an issue for you.

ESCool

WCA
2014SERR04
I want to magnetize my 4x4. I was planning on just putting two magnets per edge (48 total) and three per corner (24 total). Is there anything I need to be careful of to make sure I don't have any polarity issues or if it will be too difficult to turn?

I am using:
2mm x 4mm N50 Neodymium Magnets
on a Yuxin Blue 4x4

Dom

WCA
2016DOMI06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I want to magnetize my 4x4. I was planning on just putting two magnets per edge (48 total) and three per corner (24 total). Is there anything I need to be careful of to make sure I don't have any polarity issues or if it will be too difficult to turn?

I am using:
2mm x 4mm N50 Neodymium Magnets
on a Yuxin Blue 4x4
Refer to the magnets thread. start reading right about here.

1LastSolve

YouTube
Visit Channel
How do I tell between an OP Zhanchi 2 x 2 and a normal one? I think I might have one b/c:
- I got mine when it first came out,
- I watched a comparison video between OP and normal Zhanchi, mine has the deeper and quieter sound of the OP
- Black Screws, Beige Core

DhruvA

WCA
2015AROR05
I need some advice.

I need a new 3x3. I am currently using the valk and feel it's a bit smaller. I like cubes which are around 56.5 mm and feels smooth with a slight feedback (like a mini weilong) and is fast. I don't really need much stability since I'm an accurate turner. I wasn't keeping up with new releases so I have no idea.

DhruvA

WCA
2015AROR05
How do I tell between an OP Zhanchi 2 x 2 and a normal one? I think I might have one b/c:
- I got mine when it first came out,
- I watched a comparison video between OP and normal Zhanchi, mine has the deeper and quieter sound of the OP
- Black Screws, Beige Core
It's an op

Reactions: Dom

Dom

WCA
2016DOMI06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I need some advice.

I need a new 3x3. I am currently using the valk and feel it's a bit smaller. I like cubes which are around 56.5 mm and feels smooth with a slight feedback (like a mini weilong) and is fast. I don't really need much stability since I'm an accurate turner. I wasn't keeping up with new releases so I have no idea.
You sound like a good candidate for the WeiLong GTS. look up reviews for it and I think you'll agree.
Hope this helps!

when I use my concave 3x3 the yellow face tends to unscrew while Im turning the face and solving it I wanted to know how to stop that from happening

Alphaugust

YouTube
Visit Channel
So I was just wondering... I mean, we get all of our cubes from places like thecubicle.us, speedcubeshop.com, cubedepotusa.com etc. But where do they get their stock? Do they buy from other stores or what?

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
So I was just wondering... I mean, we get all of our cubes from places like thecubicle.us, speedcubeshop.com, cubedepotusa.com etc. But where do they get their stock? Do they buy from other stores or what?
I believe (but am not sure) they get the stock in bulk from the cube companies themselves. @4Chan is probably the best person to ask about this.

Dom

WCA
2016DOMI06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks! Do you think magnets will help better match my turning style?
well, people say the magnets improve stability, and you are saying you don't need stability. it might slow you down too much, or perhaps, you'll like the feedback it gives you. so far, I don't know anyone who says they don't like the GTS M.

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I believe (but am not sure) they get the stock in bulk from the cube companies themselves. @4Chan is probably the best person to ask about this.

This is actually kind of a secret for us, but if I were to describe the hidden world of cube/puzzle brokers and the secret illuminati-esque meetings, most people probably wouldn't believe it.

Reactions: Dom