• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Non-Cubers say the darndest things!

vm70

• "Whoa, is that a 10x10?" "Does it look like one to you?" (I don't own a 10x10, they're expensive)
  • "I can't even solve the 1x1!"
  • Someone was looking at my Yuxin Purple 5x5 and asked me, "Is that 5x5 from Rubik's?" The logos don't look similar at all.
  • I handed someone my 2x2. He pointed at the logo and asked me, "Is this a wildcard or something?"
  • I brought a 7x7 in with a dot pattern on it. Someone asked me, "Did you peel off the stickers to do that?"
  • "How did you solve that?" "Actually, all of this is an illusion; in reality I'm peeling all of the stickers off."
  • "I memorize algorithms--" "WHAT THE HECK IS AN ALGORITHM!?"
  • "I bet a colorblind person can't solve one." "Say that to Mats Valk & Chris Olson."

My favorite thing to do is demonstrate the 3-step process of solving a 2x2 using Varasano (Face, OLL, PBL). Easy "mind=blown" trick.

Last edited:

Dom

WCA
2016DOMI06
YouTube
Visit Channel
This past Monday I was at a café. Someone saw me with a 4x4 and this random guy literally said, "oh a Rubik's cube. I solved it once by accident." I said, "here," as I tossed him a 3x3, "solve this one by accident."
He messed with it for a little bit then handed it back with a foolish look on his face.

Should I feel like a jerk for calling him out on his lie?

Kotra25

YouTube
Visit Channel
It is actually possible to solve it by acsident but the chances of that happening is so small so you shouldn't believe him, if he had actually done that though you can't expect him to do it again.

yogurtcup

Whoa, I heard only like, geniuses can figure that out.

There must so much math to learn!

My friend can do that in like, 2 seconds!

Can you solve my RUBIK'S cube? (I'm not even kidding they emphasize the Rubik's)

MentosCubing

YouTube
Visit Channel
"You traded for that for anothere cube? That's dumb. It's used, so it's not as good as it was out of the box!"
But they broke it in, so now it is actually better than it was out of the box.
"But it's not as valuable as it was brand new! Did it come with those stickers? They look so DAMAGED!"
So? I can resticker it if I want to! That's most likely what they did because this is a weird color scheme.

Reactions: Dom

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The Four Cube is another name for the DaYan Dino Skewb. Although it is usually called the Dino Skewb, I have seen stores call it a Four Cube.

Its great that you want to answer peoples questons, but please note that that post was from 2009. Also that TemurAmir hasn't been on this forum since 2012.
When replying to people, especially on a thread with hundreds of pages, it is always a good idea to check when the post was made.
In general, don't reply to things made over two years ago. The person that you are replying to probably won't see your message, and it brings threads to the top of a forum even though the content is heavily outdated.
In this case, this thread is active, so this isn't thread-necro, but if that had been your only response, it certainly would be.

You are new, so it's perfectly fine if you didn't realize this. However, if you haven't already, read the forum rules, as you can get infraction points/ban time for breaking them.

-
Keeping this on topic,
After a play that my younger brother co-starred in, I was haging around and doing OH sexy mindlessly.
An actor came over and asked how I did it. I scrambled and solved, the actor was amazed. He asked how I did it so well, and that he had tried really hard to solve it.
I was in acquaintance with the actor and replied teasingly that he was a very good actor and that I didn't understand how he did it.