• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Noon question but I'must confused. I intuitively solve the cube and don't really think if a piece is orientated or not. However, when watching YouTube tutorials this is now confusing me. Can someone please explain how I tell if a piece is orientated or not... Sorry if this is a dumb question but I just can't seem to understand it... Thanks.
It depends which method and which piece you're talking about. for edges, a piece is defined as oriented in various ways that mean you can solve it using only a specific set of moves (for example {R,U,L} for ZZ, {M2,U} for Roux, {R,U} for Petrus etc). they are all essentially subsets of the group {R,U,L,D} which is what is mean when oriented is used with edges in the broadest sense.

Corners are different in that a piece is defined as oriented if all corners can be brought to their solved positions using only double moves.

CFOP and last layer/ last slot methods are slightly different because they don't really care about reducing the moves to a specific subset and instead just what to reduce the cases. For example, OLL orients all the edges and corners by making them all face upwards and VHLS orients the edges while solving the last slot.

UberJay

It depends which method and which piece you're talking about. for edges, a piece is defined as oriented in various ways that mean you can solve it using only a specific set of moves (for example {R,U,L} for ZZ, {M2,U} for Roux, {R,U} for Petrus etc). they are all essentially subsets of the group {R,U,L,D} which is what is mean when oriented is used with edges in the broadest sense.

Corners are different in that a piece is defined as oriented if all corners can be brought to their solved positions using only double moves.

CFOP and last layer/ last slot methods are slightly different because they don't really care about reducing the moves to a specific subset and instead just what to reduce the cases. For example, OLL orients all the edges and corners by making them all face upwards and VHLS orients the edges while solving the last slot.
Thanks for taking the time to explain this... I think all the different scenarios were confusing. But now I understand when it's applicable it makes sense! Thano You!

UberJay

This is the main contension of my confusion. In regards to these F2l cases what is / isn't orientated and how can I tell...

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Short version: what's the best place to buy a Big Sail right now?

Long version: I want to magnetize a big sail for foot solving. I was ordering a bunch of stuff, including magnets, from Amazon, and put the cube on that order. they didn't ship it, and refunded it when I complained (Amazon sucks at puzzles, and they're not any good at packing books either). I could have gotten a big sail from the cubicle last week for I think $4.50, and gotten something else small without breaking the bank to bring it up to $10, but they're back up to $7.50. I could go with cubezz for about $5, but that's 10-20 business days shipping and I've already got magnets sitting on my table waiting to go in a cube. What would you do in my situation?

Sion

Does Cube4you still sell cubes? I want to get a gas assisted 3x3 for collection purposes

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
Short version: what's the best place to buy a Big Sail right now?

Long version: I want to magnetize a big sail for foot solving. I was ordering a bunch of stuff, including magnets, from Amazon, and put the cube on that order. they didn't ship it, and refunded it when I complained (Amazon sucks at puzzles, and they're not any good at packing books either). I could have gotten a big sail from the cubicle last week for I think $4.50, and gotten something else small without breaking the bank to bring it up to $10, but they're back up to $7.50. I could go with cubezz for about $5, but that's 10-20 business days shipping and I've already got magnets sitting on my table waiting to go in a cube. What would you do in my situation?
I just always use The Cubicle.

Does Cube4You still sell cubes? I want to get a gas assisted 3x3 for collection purposes.
Looks like they're still active, so no reason they wouldn't.
I do remember trying to order a gas-assisted cube from them a while ago, though, and I think I stopped because the checkout process was just too sketchy. I don't remember how it was when I ordered my original C4Y DIY cube, so I couldn't tell you if that's new or not.

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
How do you guys deal with sneezing during solves? It happens pretty frequently to me and meanwhile I can't keep solving, I get bad singles every now and then..
I stop the solve, 'cause there's no point in timing it if it was interrupted.
Sneezing shouldn't happen frequently enough for that to be an issue.

EDIT: If it does, then cubing shouldn't be your concern.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
what is the usual cut off for 3x3 rounds in a competition
It depends what you mean by cut off. According to the regulations a cut off is a time you need to beat in the first (usually two) solves of an average in order to be able to complete the average in a combined round. Combined rounds are not normally used for 3x3, so there is typically no cut off for 3x3.

You may mean what the regulations call time limit (sometimes called a hard cutoff but that term is confusing and should be discouraged). This is the time you need to beat in order to go on with the solve. If you exceed the time limit, the solve will be recorded as "did not finish". Usually it is not specified for 3x3 in which case it defaults to 10 minutes. Often in the interests of preventing abuse a time limit may be set of 3-5 minutes. It's really rare for it to be lower than that because 3x3 is usually the main event and the WCA encourages organisers to give as many people as possible the opportunity to complete a full average of 5.

You could also mean the round advancement criteria, which determines whether or not a competitor advances to the second round. This varies from region to region, in some regions, you can get into the second round with an average over a minute, at other competitions, averages under 15 seconds aren't enough to get you into the second round.

YOBACK

cc12dc9457b9fec62b98687a7d754cc0.jpg

How solve it in one algorithm?

WCA
2015FOXC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If I sneeze in a comp, the solve would still count so I see no reason why I shouldn't count the solve in practice at home.
You can ask for a resolve.

cc12dc9457b9fec62b98687a7d754cc0.jpg

How solve it in one algorithm?

I don't know the notation for 6x6 but if I say l or r I mean the third layer in.

l' U2 l' U2 F2 l F2 r U2 r' U2 l

Last edited by a moderator: