• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have no better idea but only practice a lot. When you practice you are familiar with your cube, letter scheme and making memo. With a growing experience you will see you dont need to repeat your memo and recalling memo becomes easier. I used to practice with headphones but now started to pracitce with tv playing around or yt to make some noise. And after a while it stopped disturbing me. Just practice.

D

Daniel Lin

Does anyone have any tips for focusing during BLD solves? I always pause a lot during memo because I just can't think of the letter for a target after a short lapse in focus, and I just repeat my memo over and over. I can very rarely go through a memo fluidly as a result of this.
don't repeat your memo over and over. Try to do that as little as possible. If that's too hard, then try corners only or edges only. Corners are usually only 8 letters, so you shouldn't have difficulty focusing

pr0ject1le

I'm stuck on this scramble and need some guidance for M2/OP with edges first.

Scramble

U' R2 U' L2 D2 L2 F2 D F2 U R2 L' B D F U2 L F U' F L'

I use Speffz letter scheme. My orientation for U/F is Yellow/Red.

Corners: JP WD QU VH S
Edges: NB QF RV WV JC P (edge flip D + X, we have parity so do D' L2 D M2 D' L2 D after edge execution)

1) Edge execution

u R u' (M2) u R' u' // N
R' U R U' (M2) U R' U' R // B
(U M’)*3 (U M) (U M’)*4 // Q
B L2 B' (M2) B L2 B' // F
U' L U (M2) U' L' U // R
U R2 U' (M2) U R2 U' // V
M U2 M U2 // W
U R2 U' (M2) U R2 U' // V
U R U' (M2) U R' U' // J
M U2 M U2 // C (2nd letter in pair, use W alg)
B' R2 B (M2) B' R2 B // P

1) I am left with an M2 off and U (DF) and A (UB) swapped places: http://oi65.tinypic.com/257opzc.jpg
2) Still need to flip D and X: http://oi65.tinypic.com/29wpa1s.jpg

How do I execute the rest of this?

I was thinking of rotating so I could get D and X to be UB and UF and do (M' U)*4 (U M')*4 - Am I right? Or do parity fix and then flip edges? If someone can finish off the rest of what I've started, that would be brilliant.

Thanks!

EDIT: My corner memo is wrong for one! Should be JP WD QU VH S
EDIT 2: Thanks to goodatthis and Hssandwich I figured it out. To continue the rest it goes like this for anyone having a similar issue and for my own future reference :)

2) Parity fix after solving up to P
(D' L2 D) M2 (D' L2 D)

3) Execute corners using OP

4) Fix flipped edges D + X

[y x'] (M' U)*4 (U M')*4 [x y']

Last edited:

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Well first, you forgot the P at the end of your corner memo. if your edges are odd, your corners have to be odd as well.

Second, ALWAYS flip your edges after you finish the rest of the solve, that way you're absolutely sure that they're in their solved places. Plus, you don't have to risk accidentally re-orienting the cube the wrong way. So what I would do is execute the edges as you have written down, do parity, then do the corners, then rotate and do your flipping alg to the flipped pieces.

Now to answer 1) that's solved by doing the parity alg, and to answer 2) those you should flip afterwards, as mentioned above.

Hssandwich

WCA
2013SAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can either flip the two edges using the algorithm you described then do parity, or you can execute D,E and then XG to solve those, then do parity. Make sure that your corner memo is correct though since you should have an odd number of targets for both if you have parity.

EDIT: ninja'd

pr0ject1le

Well first, you forgot the P at the end of your corner memo. if your edges are odd, your corners have to be odd as well.

Second, ALWAYS flip your edges after you finish the rest of the solve, that way you're absolutely sure that they're in their solved places. Plus, you don't have to risk accidentally re-orienting the cube the wrong way. So what I would do is execute the edges as you have written down, do parity, then do the corners, then rotate and do your flipping alg to the flipped pieces.

Now to answer 1) that's solved by doing the parity alg, and to answer 2) those you should flip afterwards, as mentioned above.

Awesome! Thanks for finding my mistake in the corners. I completely missed the V sticker.

This is the first time coming across this case and it really helps using this method. I managed to solve the cube in the end. Edited my original post.

Thanks a tonne for your help and Hssandwich who mentioned to do the same :)

Last edited:

sepehr ebadi

My method for edges is m2 and i can dnf about 9 from 10 now.although,that solvings all are using dnf but my times seems good nevertheless if i did not use dnf i can pass the average blind of iran.more times which i use to dnf is because of edges.
please help me

turtwig

My method for edges is m2 and i can dnf about 9 from 10 now.although,that solvings all are using dnf but my times seems good nevertheless if i did not use dnf i can pass the average blind of iran.more times which i use to dnf is because of edges.
please help me

If you DNF a lot you can try spending more time on memo. It'll help you get a higher success rate and will make your execution smoother so you might not even get slower times.

JacobM

I'd like to learn Old Pochmann but alot of video tutorials are old and hard to follow, due to bad explanation or bad audio/video. Could any of you link me to a tutorial that you think could help, or maybe the one you used to learn in the first place?

Oh, and a little about my skill level and how new I am. I first picked up a rubik's cube around 6 weeks ago, since then I have learnt cfop (to an extent) and I am an average of around 30s, with a pb of 20s. I use CFOP with 4look last layer, but have been learning more pll algs recently. I don't know any of the algs used it old pochmann yet, but they are next on my list.

Any questions you may have I am more than willing to answer, I'd just like a little help in return. Thanks guys, and apologies if this is the wrong section, I'm real new.

xchippy

What are the best buffers for big BLD? I use UF and UFR for 3bld idk what to use for bigbld

CyanSandwich

WCA
2013NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
why UFR for corners? wouldn't you have a lot of L moves?
Mostly because he already uses it (I wouldn't bother switching). Also Gianfranco and Jay are advocates of UF/UFR. That's partially due to nicer parity in 3BLD though, which doesn't really apply in bigBLD.

You're right though. My corners suggestion makes no sense looking at the x-centers logic.

I think Jay said the fact that it's interchangeable on R is a good thing. But thinking about it, it just leave more targets on L and restricts R/F setup moves.

Cale S

WCA
2014SCHO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I wish I started with Ufl and Ul for big BLD buffers, having my buffers on the right means I do a lot of [l' U2 l, E] type stuff
It isn't too terrible though, because I execute it like 4Rw 3Rw'

Last edited: