• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Feet Discussion

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread is to discuss Feet solving.
Turing styles, cubes, alternate Feet-friendly algorithms, Feet related questions, that sort of content belongs here.
I know there are several good Feet solvers around on the forums, so, hopefully, this will get used.

First question: What would you say are the most necessary alternate PLLs for Feet?

Torch

WCA
2014GOSL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok, alternate feet PLLs (bear in mind that these are meant to be executed with U moves):

Z: R U R' U R' U' R' U R U' R' U' R2 U R (Sometimes I execute as <F, U> instead)
Y: F2 U' F' U F U' R' F' L F' L' F' R F
F: F' U F U' F2 L' U' L U F L F' L' F2
H: R L U2 R' L' y R' L' U2 R L

Since that H perm is a symmetrical alg and H perm itself is a symmetrical case, you can cancel the last move of your OLL into H perm 100% of the time.

Example scramble: M2 U M2 U2 M2 U M2 F' U' L' U L U' L' U L F

F' L' U' L U L' U' L U//beginning of OLL

At this point you can see that you're about to get a H perm. Instead of doing the last move then PLL like this:

F R L U2 R' L' y R' L' U2 R L// finish LL in 11 moves

you can rotate and cancel like this:

y' L' U2 R L y' R L U2 R' L'// finish LL in 9 moves

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I learned this Z perm for OH and use it for Feet too.
R' U' R2 U R U R' U' R U R U' R U' R' (U2) and preform it <B, R>

Since that H perm is a symmetrical alg and H perm itself is a symmetrical case, you can cancel the last move of your [C]OLL into H perm 100% of the time.
I use ZZ haha
I saw optimal H when looking for FMC PLLs, and I wasn't sure if it was worth it over the double-turn two gen one.

I found this Y perm and use it for OH and Feet. F moves are nasty for me OH and L/D are just z moves, which I do for Left block. F is an entire re-grip OH, and 'was' a rotation Feet.
R U R2 U L' U2 R U' R' U2 R Rw x U' R U' R' <L, B, R>

I found this F perm for OH and am using it for Feet
R U R' U' R' U R U2 L' R' U R U' Rw x U' R U' R' - 18h lol
F' U F U' F2 L' U' L U F L F' L' F2 - 14h
but not anymore haha
Thanks

I actually made a spreadsheet for my own but I'm not sure how I'm gonna find it now

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
Hmm, has anyone considered doing cross on left? You can insert pairs using <B,R> as per normal and look ahead is easier since the top face is on R instead of being on B.

Last edited:

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Does anybody else use D moves? sounds like I should learn B moves, but right now I use mostly R, U, L, and some F, with D so I can use my regular algs, and instead of Uw.

Torch

WCA
2014GOSL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Does anybody else use D moves? sounds like I should learn B moves, but right now I use mostly R, U, L, and some F, with D so I can use my regular algs, and instead of Uw.

I can't imagine how to execute D moves with feet, other than as a Uw + rotation. I have a bit of trouble with those moves, and usually try to avoid them (other than in G perms, which just suck for me). If you can execute them well, go ahead though! If you solve using U moves (i.e., holding cross on bottom during F2L), I'd recommend making more use of F and B moves alongside L and R. I usually don't really distinguish between R/L and F/B in solving, holding the cube at a 45 degree angle (like how a skewb is held for scrambling) so I can turn all 4 of those sides easily.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I can't imagine how to execute D moves with feet, other than as a Uw + rotation. I have a bit of trouble with those moves, and usually try to avoid them (other than in G perms, which just suck for me). If you can execute them well, go ahead though! If you solve using U moves (i.e., holding cross on bottom during F2L), I'd recommend making more use of F and B moves alongside L and R. I usually don't really distinguish between R/L and F/B in solving, holding the cube at a 45 degree angle (like how a skewb is held for scrambling) so I can turn all 4 of those sides easily.

I usually hold it at more or less a 45 degree angle, too. I do D' moves by holding the top two layers on the left side with my left foot, and sliding my right big toe along the floor from right to left, or vice versa for D. The Dw moves I use for F and V perms are a little harder; I try to hold the UFL corner with my left foot and hit the line between RF and RFD with my big toe.

TheCoolMinxer

WCA
2014GERB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice PLL's:

F-perm (still ugly): R U' R' U R2 y R U R' U' y' R' U' R2 F R F'
V-perm: R U2 R' D R U' R U' R U R2 D R' U' R D2
Z-perm: R B' R' B F R' F B' R' B R F2
Y-perm: R2 U' R' U R U' x' U' z' U' R U' R' U' L U

Ga-perm: R L U2 R' L' y' R' U L' U2 R U' L
Gb-perm: R' U L' U2 R U' L y R L U2 R' L'
Gc-perm: L' R' U2 L R y L U' R U2 L' U R'
Gd-perm: L U' R U2 L' U R' y R' L' U2 R L

You have to optimize these algs for your turning style ofc :)

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
V-perm: R U2 R' D R U' R U' R U R2 D R' U' R D2

I use this alg for all styles of solving, but I do an x and <B, F, R> with Feet because I think B moves are more stable than U.

Btw, what are you thoughts, hopes for 4Feet ever becoming an official WCA event?
Since we have BigBLD, I think we should have BigFeet.
My first solve ever was ~5:30 minutes, so I know it isn't that hard if you're half decent at 3Feet.

Nice PLL's:
Ga-perm: R L U2 R' L' y' R' U L' U2 R U' L
Gb-perm: R' U L' U2 R U' L y R L U2 R' L'
Gc-perm: L' R' U2 L R y L U' R U2 L' U R'
Gd-perm: L U' R U2 L' U R' y R' L' U2 R L
This.

TheCoolMinxer

WCA
2014GERB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Btw, what are you thoughts, hopes for 4Feet ever becoming an official WCA event?
Since we have BigBLD, I think we should have BigFeet.
My first solve ever was ~5:30 minutes, so I know it isn't that hard if you're half decent at 3Feet.
It would be cool tbh (or megaminx too, maybe?), but a lot of people are complaining about feet being an event itself and would like to have it removed, probably without ever having tried or they did like 3 solves or so :( I believe feet was an event right off the start (in 2003?) and should be continued, so we should better hope for that ^^

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It would be cool tbh (or megaminx too, maybe?), but a lot of people are complaining about feet being an event itself and would like to have it removed, probably without ever having tried or they did like 3 solves or so :( I believe feet was an event right off the start (in 2003?) and should be continued, so we should better hope for that ^^

16m megaminx feet solve with the old shenshou haha. I like megaminx, so that would be cool too.
I'm getting the galaxy, so hopefully i can get sub-10 and beyond with that and finishing up 4LL.

I read the entire thread about whether or not feet should remain an event and then giving the pros and cons of the removal.
The main reasons I saw against it were 'Eww its gross and unsanitary!' and "I get uncomfortable watching this".
By the end of the thread, it seemed like the arguments against Feet had been proven untrue and stupid.

Hopefully this thread can create a mainstream interest in Feet and then we can get 4Feet or MegaFeet to become an event.

Torch

WCA
2014GOSL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
At the moment I don't really think other events WF should become official, but that might just be because I haven't really tried them seriously. I definitely think feet has solid reasons to remain an event and should be changed to average of 5 as soon as possible.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh yes, the official avg5 really needs to go, mo3 is annoying and unnecessary because feet got so fast...

Yes! I'm actually faster at Feet than 4x4, so it would be more of a hassle for me to compete in 4x4 than Feet.
Also, at michigan 2016, on my first solve I got a corner twist, and it took something like 20 or 30 seconds for me to untwist it. If it had been Ao5, I probably wouldn't have dnfed it, but at least I wouldn't have a 1:40 contributing to my average.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I like feet, but I'm not so sure about expanding it to other events. We don't do OH 4x4, or anything like that. Honestly the biggest reason that I see for why feet should certainly remain an event is for comic relief, and the people who are grossed out by it need to get over themselves.

As far as Mo3/Ao5, I don't know. Would changing it to an Ao5 mean that fewer competitions would offer it? It's already a relatively rare event. There are 100 upcoming competitions listed on the WCA site, 31 of them offer feet, and none of the 17 in the US do. In general I'm in favor of making it easier for individuals to compete (i.e. easier cutoff times), but in the case of feet it might be better to try to make it easier for competition organizers to include it.