• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

alg.cubing.net

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have yet another suggestion. I'm not sure if this was intentional or not, but did you intend your inverse function to do Inverse["F2"] = "F2'" instead of simply "F2"?

I'm not asking you to change this, but, for the use of Cube Explorer, it doesn't recognize "F2'" as F2, for example.

Therefore, if only it makes no difference to you, then could you just simply add a string replace command "2'"->"2" at the end of your inverse function?

It is definitely intentional. Because alg.cubing.net is built primarily for cubers, I consider direction to be an important property of a move. I always type out my algs and reconstructions with deliberate directions for double turns, and write my code to make sure all the transformations honor directions.

I don't want to add a button specifically for your requested transformation, unless others would also find it very useful. Perhaps there is a way to generalize it to something to something that is general enough to warrant a button for it, but I'd rather leave it out unless we think of one.

But just to make this easier on you for now, here's some simple code that has the desired effect:

Code:
var positiveDoubleTurns = alg.cube.makeAlgTraversal();
positiveDoubleTurns.move = function(move) {
  if (move.amount < -1) {
    var newMove = alg.cube.cloneMove(move);
    newMove.amount = newMove.amount + 4;
    return newMove;
  }
  else {
    return move;
  }
};
var oldAlgString = $("#algorithm").val();
var newAlgString = positiveDoubleTurns(oldAlgString);
$("#algorithm").val(newAlgString);

Run it in the Javascript console or create a bookmarklet from it.
If you also want to convert F' into F3, just change the comparison on line 4 into (move.amount < 0).

In any case, you might want to ask Herbert Kociemba if he would adapt his parser to treat 2' as 2.

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have the following issue:

Using Chrome, when I enter some movements, and I click in the middle of the movement (so the cursor jumps there), the image on the left shows the cube with only the movements before the cursor. For example, my movements are R U F2 B, and the cursor is between U and F2, then the animated cube shows R U. This seems a useful and normal function.

However, using Firefox, this doesn't seem to work. It's like jammed, and shows the end of the movements (most of the time). If I enter something there (e.g. a space), sometimes it works because of the refresh, sometimes not.

See this: http://postimg.org/image/96aeuqsmv/
Notice the strange orange color, which I assume should show the current turn.

Chrome 40.0.2214.111 m
Firefox 35.0.1

Last edited:

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
However, using Firefox, this doesn't seem to work. It's like jammed, and shows the end of the movements (most of the time). If I enter something there (e.g. a space), sometimes it works because of the refresh, sometimes not.

You're right, this seems to be a bug now!
I don't have time right now, but I've made a note to look into it.

minime12358

WCA
2010KAPL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey, I wanted to let you know of a possible other bug, while you already don't have time to solve this last one :)

It doesn't appear that the custom color scheme is working right now, confirmed by another. I hit custom, enter in a string, and the color scheme will not change.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It doesn't appear that the custom color scheme is working right now, confirmed by another. I hit custom, enter in a string, and the color scheme will not change.

Yeah, unfortunately that's the main broken feature right now. :-(
It will take some work, so you should probably not rely on it for the time being.

(But if a bunch of people really want this, speak up and I can prioritize it.)

minime12358

WCA
2010KAPL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ah, my bad. The biggest reason I would like the feature is so that I can hit the OLL button and have it highlight a color other than Yellow---unless I missed an option, it appeared that the only way would be to define the color scheme to put it on top.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ah, my bad. The biggest reason I would like the feature is so that I can hit the OLL button and have it highlight a color other than Yellow---unless I missed an option, it appeared that the only way would be to define the color scheme to put it on top.

Yeah, that's the case right now. Not really your bad. :-(

Of course, anyone is welcome to implement it if they want to see it sooner. ;-)

unsolved

5x5x5 Alg.Cubing.Net Bug??

When I run up this sequence of moves...

https://alg.cubing.net/?title=alg.garron.us&puzzle=5x5x5&view=playback&alg=R2_U_2F2_U2_2B_U2_2F-_U2_2B-_R2_U-_2F-_3R2_U2_3R_U-_R2_U_3R_U2_3R2_2F_U-_2F2_U-_R2%0A%0A

... I get the centers solved and a tredge inverted with one middle edge inverted. But, on the Alg.Cubing.Net site it shows a different position.

I am hoping I am just doing something wrong. Any 5x5x5 cubers want to manually do this sequence on their cubes and make sure I am not losing my mind?

:)

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can 100% see what ACN is doing. So why don't you just tell us the first move that ACN does differently from you?

Edit: I think we should have a Zero-Answers Question Forum for stuff like this (i.e., questions that people should obviously just answer themselves). Admins could move threads there and only the asker would be allowed (and requested) to reply :)

Last edited:

unsolved

You can 100% see what ACN is doing. So why don't you just tell us the first move that ACN does differently from you?

Edit: I think we should have a Zero-Answers Question Forum for stuff like this (i.e., questions that people should obviously just answer themselves). Admins could move threads there and only the asker would be allowed (and requested) to reply :)

I am testing something from my 5x5x5 Brute Force Solver and I am not 100% sure I am converting my notation into SiGN and I do not have a 5x5x5 cube to check the results. That's why I posted.

5x5x5_3_edges.png

Solving 3 edges using SiGN: pretty sure this worked.

5x5x5_centers.png

Solving centers with my notation.
r+ = 2R
r- = 2R'
T+ = U
y+ = 3R
y- = 3R'
T- = U'
F+ = F
L- = L
K- = B
z+ = 3U
K+ = B'
b+ = 2D'
y2 = 3R2

And I think we need less arrogance and more help from the people who respond. Maybe the admins could inject something into different brain centers of people such as yourself to stimulate the development of social skills.

See, I can make an arrogant post too. Did it help? No. Understand now why someone might not like to see a smug reply?

Last edited:

unsolved

You don't need a real cube to see which of ACN's turns surprises you.

My program produces this position from the same set of moves.

5x5x5_tredge.png

So that tells me I entered one of the moves incorrectly on the website, or there is a bug with the website. I am not sure which move is incorrect that I entered, which is why I posed the question.

Edit: And it looks like the 3R should have been replaced by 3R' so I did translate the position from my notation into SiGN incorrectly.

https://alg.cubing.net/?title=alg.garron.us&puzzle=5x5x5&view=playback&alg=R2_U_2F2_U2_2B_U2_2F-_U2_2B-_R2_U-_2F-_3R2_U2_3R_U-_R2_U_3R-_U2_3R2_2F_U-_2F2_U-_R2

Last edited:

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've replaced the copy button (on the line that says "Forum Link") with new code that should work better where it's supported.

At the moment, it should work in Chrome and Internet Explorer.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've implemented offline support, which already works in Chrome and Opera, and is coming to Firefox soon (you can enable experimental support).
If you click on the "Offline" button under "TOOLS", the button should change to a checkmark, and all links to alg.cubing.net should continue to work even when you're offline.
For example, you could download the PLL wiki page and click on the animation links even if you go offline.

For those of you who are curious about the details, there are two technologies for offline websites.
The first one was called AppCache, and it had many flaws (for example, even if you go back online, you may still see the old version of the website), so I disabled it after testing it on alg.cubing.net.
Service workers are the replacement, but they are just being finalized, and not all browsers have support yet.

(Side note: If you want to use or modify alg.cubing.net locally, the "Download" button still gives you a file you can unzip and use on your computer – but you won't be able to use it by visiting the normal URL.)

Service workers are brand-new, so I'd love for people to test this. Let me know if you run into any issues while you're offline.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
When I do an r on 4x4, it does it as an Rw. This has probably been answered already, but how do I correct this?

Are you asking for an option to treat "r" as "2R" (move the second-outermost slice)?

This is purposely not possible, because it it allows two conflicting notations. This particular move has to be two characters instead of one, but I believe it's much more valuable if everyone agrees on a single definition of "r".
So you'll have to use 2R in this case. Click on "Notation" under "Examples" for more possible moves.

For its core notation, alg.cubing.net uses only SiGN, with addition that Rw is treated as an alias for r.

josh42732

Are you asking for an option to treat "r" as "2R" (move the second-outermost slice)?

This is purposely not possible, because it it allows two conflicting notations. This particular move has to be two characters instead of one, but I believe it's much more valuable if everyone agrees on a single definition of "r".
So you'll have to use 2R in this case. Click on "Notation" under "Examples" for more possible moves.

For its core notation, alg.cubing.net uses only SiGN, with addition that Rw is treated as an alias for r.

Ahh.. okay thank you. I just copied a parity alg for 4x4 and didn't have mine handy so I just copied it onto that with the r as being the single slice, but I will make the changes to the alg! Thank you!

Also, Super-Duper Moderator! That's cool!

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel