• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Baron1213

I am kinda new to speed cubing (well I've learnt quite a bit and am pretty close to under a minute).. and was in a doubt whether to buy the Dayan Zhan chi stickered or sticker less. Also I wanted to know if the plastic quality(black or white) would make a difference or not. I prefer a sturdy cube that does not tend to pop much and that cuts corners pretty well. and I also prefer the one which gives a better grip and speed.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
The ZhanChi is a good cube. Stickerless cubes aren't allowed in competitions at the moment, so I would recommend getting a stickered cube. Getting it in black or white doesn't really make a difference; choose whichever you prefer.

dan41

The ZhanChi is a good cube. Stickerless cubes aren't allowed in competitions at the moment, so I would recommend getting a stickered cube. Getting it in black or white doesn't really make a difference; choose whichever you prefer.

correction: stickerless are legal too, as long as they don't reveal colors from the inside (translucent, or while turning). it's just that no manufacturer makes such cube.

Baron1213

Well I have a budget of kinda 10-15$ and so I can afford a Dayan Zhan chi. All I wanted to know is that will there be any difference in quality and speed if I choose the stickered one or stickerless one. I am not interested in competitions for the time being

(P.S.: I live in India and so 10-15$ is kinda 600-700 INR)

Last edited:

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
correction: stickerless are legal too, as long as they don't reveal colors from the inside (translucent, or while turning). it's just that no manufacturer makes such cube.

Really unnecessary correction.

But since we're correcting each other, plenty of manufacturers make legal stickerless cubes. The most obvious being Rubik's Brand speed cubes.

TDM's point is that what is traditionally considered a stickerless cube (i.e. stickerless Zhanchi, which he was referring to) is illegal.

EDIT:

Well I have a budget of kinda 10-15$ and so I can afford a Dayan Zhan chi. All I wanted to know is that will there be any difference in quality and speed if I choose the stickered one or stickerless one. I am not interested in competitions for the time being

Some people say the stickerless feels better. I don't think it does. I think they are identical and I've used both.

Lazy Einstein

Alg Ninja
Earth, Solar system, Orion Spur, Milky Way

Guanlong has 41 reviews and 5 stars. I would say buy that if you only have $15. Also with the money you save buying a Guanlong you can afford some lube.

Baron1213

Well, I live in India and currently the YJ and Moyu are unavailable online, so is the Dayan alright?
I actually do not want to go for anything high or advanced

brian724080

In my opinion, yes, but I know a lot of people who say Zhanchi is better than anything from Moyu/YJ.

In my opinion, that's kind of like saying Windows XP is of equal or greater quality of Windows 7 (didn't mention Windows 8 as they're too different), which we (should) all know is not true.

Edit: I guess it's possible that people just like the feel of those cubes though, but that's more of a subjective thing.

Well, I live in India and currently the YJ and Moyu are unavailable online, so is the Dayan alright?

Have you tried cubezz.com? Also, there's nothing wrong with buying something that is better.

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel

Don't believe people who tell you that you can't control a fast cube. My first cube was a zhanchi, and within two weeks I had a weilong, and then switched to AoLong v1... I've never had a problem controlling any of those.

Your muscles will adapt to whichever cube you use. In my opinion, using an inferior cube early will set your muscles into habits of not taking advantage of superior cubes.

I suppose I'm bad at using bad cubes because I never used them, but who cares? I only use my cubes anyway.

dott

The Zanchi is high and advanced :) there are sub10 cubers that still use the zanchi. There are a lot of good cubes out there. It really much depends on what you like. The Zanchi is fast, has no big flaws and is overall a really great cube. Stickerless or Stickerd and what colore of plastic does not make any differnce, other then if you like the feeling of stickers on your fingers or not. I got some problem with my AoLong but its also a great cube. The Guanlong is really fast, but also very light weight and that feels so much different then other cubes.
I would say, you can't go wrong with a Zanchi. You will need to replace the stickers after a year or so, if you take a stickerd one.

dan41

But since we're correcting each other, plenty of manufacturers make legal stickerless cubes. The most obvious being Rubik's Brand speed cubes.

got me there! that was my bad for not excluding christmas tree decoration manufacturers...

Mozart

You can use stickerless Zhanchi in competitions, but only blindfolded :p

Jokes aside - in my opinion the best cube ever is moyu aolong, but maybe not for your level. You need a cube that is very stable as a beginner, because otherwise you will lock up very much and lose time. like others said the Guanlong is a safe bet, other options could be moyu weilong, haiyan memory, lingyun..
Remember that only when you are sub-15 the choice of cube will be decisive, actually