Wisconsin Cubing Group

Discussion in 'Local Cubing Groups' started by David Jiang, Jul 3, 2016.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. yes

18 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. no

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. TheRubiksCombo

TheRubiksCombo Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2015MACK06
    YouTube:
    MidwestCuber6
    There will be a meetup on Sunday, December 17 at 2:00 pm at the West Towne Mall food court. Feel free to come and invite any other cubers in the area!

2. BandedCubing101

BandedCubing101 Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Wisconsin
    YouTube:
    BandedCubing101
    I'm going.

3. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    I'm thinking of trying to organize a competition on January 20th in Viroqua, WI, most likely with 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, 7x7, and MBLD. I don't have a definite commitment on a venue yet, but I talked to my pastor last night and he said that it's very likely that I could use the church building free of charge. I'm waiting to hear back from Brandon Mikel and Slater Metz if they would be available to delegate, but I've heard back from Walker Welch that he is not available to delegate but they're concerned at my inexperience, since I've only been to one comp. Does anybody, preferably someone who's organized a comp before, want to work with me on getting the Big Cheese Open 2018 off the ground?

4. TheRubiksCombo

TheRubiksCombo Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2015MACK06
    YouTube:
    MidwestCuber6
    I would think about changing the date because North Star is on the 27th

5. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    I'm aware of North Star. Unfortunately that's about 3.5 hours drive for me, and the 3 dates in the whole year that work for me are January 20th, January 27th, and February 3rd. I guess technically I would be available Monday through Saturday of those weeks, but it seems to me a Tuesday comp might suffer from poor attendance. The primary reason I'm even thinking of setting it up is that even those days I can still only be away from home from about 7:30 to 5:00 max. Take away 7 hours driving and I could get there from about 11:30 to 1:00/1:30, and that's not worth it for a slate of events that is mostly stuff I'm not that interested in. Other comps in Minneapolis or Madison are usually some variation of the same problem. Madison is 2 hours drive for me, so that's a little better, but big cube cutoffs at Madison comps are usually ridiculous, and there's always a lot of clock and pyraminx, and other small puzzles that I don't care about.

6. CarterK

CarterK Member

Oct 19, 2017
    WCA:
    2015KUCA01
    YouTube:
    Carter Cuber
    @Jhahoua is pretty experienced and organized the wiscubes. Another option would be Brandon Satterstrom and he would be happy with multi.

7. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    Thanks! I presume @Jhahoua will see this. Could you PM me contact information for Brandon?

8. CarterK

CarterK Member

Oct 19, 2017
    WCA:
    2015KUCA01
    YouTube:
    Carter Cuber
    I'll ask him and see if he is interested. I'll get back to you.

9. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    I heard from Josh that he's willing to work with me. Now I'm just waiting to hear back definitely on the venue.

10. CarterK

CarterK Member

Oct 19, 2017
    WCA:
    2015KUCA01
    YouTube:
    Carter Cuber
    Brandon says that he could help too.

11. CarterK

CarterK Member

Oct 19, 2017
    WCA:
    2015KUCA01
    YouTube:
    Carter Cuber
    Updates on the comp?

12. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    Expecting to hear back definitely on the venue in the next day. I'll post here if it's a no go. If it happens I think the plan at this point is to have 4-7, mega, clock, and MBLD. Generous time limits and cutoffs, competitor limit of 50. Last I heard the inclination was to put in a second round of 4x4 as tentative.

CarterK likes this.