Why The GAN 356 Air Loosens

Discussion in 'Hardware Area' started by CantGetSub15Seconds, Aug 13, 2017.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.

Is your GAN GES loosening?

Poll closed Yesterday at 6:13 AM.
  1. Yes

40.0%
  2. No

40.0%
  3. Maybe

13.3%
  4. I have no idea what this even means.

6.7%
  1. CantGetSub15Seconds

CantGetSub15Seconds Member

Jun 10, 2017
    under a rock
    My GAN 356 Air UM loosens, and I have tried to closely inspect the cube. A few days after, I have figured out the problem.

Trust me, the GES isn't stripping. If you take off the center cap of one of the loosening centers, tighten it, and make U or U' turns. As you can see, when you turn this the GES slowly loosens as you solve. The issue is that you are able to turn the GES VERY easily with the Plastic Nut Driver or your fingers. When the cube turns, there is some friction in between the bottom of the GES nut and the plastic of the centers. That causes the cube to loosen.

It's hard to, but make sure whenever you put in new GES nuts, make sure it can't be turned with your fingers and it takes a bit of force to tighten it with the Nut Driver. It only works sometimes, but I will edit this when I find out the rest.

I heard GAN will be making new GES nuts just for the GAN 356 Air SM. I'm wondering if it is possible to apply them to previous cubes and it would fix his issue.

Main thing, the GES nut can loosen when it is too easy to turn and when there is friction in between the center and the bottom of the GES.

Sincerely,
    the guy who just got a 13 second solve (yay)

2. VenomCubing

VenomCubing Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Ohio
    WCA:
    2017MORT01
    My main fix for this problem is to put light lube (weight 3 or less) under the GES nuts. Also, this problem is less noticable on the stronger GES nuts. It should only take about a day or two to adjust to the clear ones.

3. I_<3_SCS

I_<3_SCS Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Potland, Colorado
    Dude... just use superglue or (thread locker ofc)

4. CantGetSub15Seconds

Jun 10, 2017
    under a rock
    When Lubicle Black releases, I really want to put that in the core. How do I exactly lube the core with lube that thick?

5. I_<3_SCS

I_<3_SCS Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Potland, Colorado
    Squirt it?

6. VenomCubing

VenomCubing Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Ohio
    WCA:
    2017MORT01
    Lubicle black is meant for metal on plastic contact, so that's not a good plan unless you plan to put a metal coat on the bottom of the GES nut.

7. CantGetSub15Seconds

Jun 10, 2017
    under a rock
    Where the core axial and the plastic inside the GES meet.

8. VenomCubing

VenomCubing Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Ohio
    WCA:
    2017MORT01
    Have you seen what lubicle black does? somehow, it makes the surfaces slick even though its a realy heavy lube. I'm afraid that would make the problem worse.

9. Zerksies

Zerksies Member

Jul 6, 2017
    New Jersey
    I lube the underside of the nut with Traxxas 50k

10. CantGetSub15Seconds

Jun 10, 2017
    under a rock
    What type of heavy lube should be good?

11. VenomCubing

VenomCubing Member