• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Which hand do you use for 3x3 OH?

Which hand do you use for 3x3 OH?

• Total voters

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Write right handed, OH left hand because Phil. E: Actually because Antoine.

I can do OH right handed; I'm just 10 seconds slower.
I can also write left handed; I'm also 20 seconds slower and considerably less steady.

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
I just don't understand. So many people do OH with their non dominate hand! I just don't get it.

Surely it's because most right-handed cubers use R-heavy algs for 2H, and R turns are VERY tricky when holding the cube in your right hand. They are, however, pretty easy using the left hand.

The same is true for lefty cubers using right for OH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dom

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
I just don't understand. So many people do OH with their non dominate hand! I just don't get it.
I did it for 3 reasons really:
1) It means I'm looking at the same place most of the time for OH and TH
2) A lot of the tutorials I watch did it that way
3) I never really found it much of a hindrance compared with actually learning to turn OH with either hand.

Reactions: Dom

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
I'm right handed but I use my left hand for OH because I started out turning my cube randomly with my left hand while using my right hand for other stuff (writing or using the computer). When I started actually solving, it made sense to stick with the hand that was already used to OH turning.

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Surely it's because most right-handed cubers use R-heavy algs for 2H, and R turns are VERY tricky when holding the cube in your right hand. They are, however, pretty easy using the left hand.

The same is true for lefty cubers using right for OH.

But the poll "disagrees"... Most people are using their left hand for OH regardless of their writing handedness...

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
But the poll "disagrees"... Most people are using their left hand for OH regardless of their writing handedness...

Yeah, I find that both interesting and surprising.

Any left-handed OH solvers care to chime in on this: does this mean you use different F2L solutions and LL algs for OH and 2H?

I'm assuming (and I think it's a relatively safe assumption?) that lefties use L heavy algs by preference for 2H, in much the same way as many righties like me use R heavy algs. Also, my left hand sucks during 2H, but it's less awkward for OH than using my right for R moves.

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My dominant turning hand is my left hand. I learnt some algs that were catered towards the left hand. I started OH when I was around sub 20. I tried with my left hand at first but then after a few solves I tried using my right hand. It was clearly superior to my left hand and I didn't know why at the time. So indeed, I think a reasonable explanation is that only a small portion of cubers whose dominant turning hand is their left hand bothered to learn algs catered to their left hand which possibly influenced their hand choice for OH.