What would your ideal timer look like?

Discussion in 'Hardware Area' started by Phinagin, Dec 7, 2017 at 4:09 AM.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Phinagin

Phinagin Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Canada
    WCA:
    2015PATT04
    If you could have the perfect hardware timer, what features would it have. Nothing is out of the question or is too crazy. I am asking because a friend and I are looking to design a timer, and would like input on what features to include.

Micah Walker likes this.
  2. AlphaSheep

AlphaSheep Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Gauteng, South Africa
    WCA:
    2014GRAY03
    So you say you want to build a physical timer, like a stackmat timer? Things I would like are:

• Connect to a PC via USB.
    • Store a large number of times
    • Rechargeable battery
    • Display averages of 5 and 12
    • Generate scrambles
    • Reset and power buttons are out of the way.

3. TipsterTrickster

TipsterTrickster Member

Sep 15, 2017
    WCA:
    2017BRYA06
    Also less likely to reset and at least an hour time limit!

Ghost Cuber likes this.
  4. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    It would be nice to have proper timers for long events. I'd like to see a timer with 2 digits to display minutes, so it could at least theoretically go up to 1:39:59.99 With that and a proper mechanical gigaminx scrambler it would be possible to add gigaminx as a WCA event! More importantly it would be easier to accurately time non-world-class big blind, and also multiblind.

5. greentgoatgal

greentgoatgal Member

Feb 6, 2017
    NC
    I would have something the exact same as cstimer, only have an account so I can solve using the same session on any device.

6. Micah Walker

Micah Walker Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Ohio
    WCA:
    2015WALK03
    I wish it would connect to my phone. blue tooth/ wireless would be awesome.. other than that I wish I had a stackmat that just worked as a fancy space bar, then you could use inspection when solving on stackmat with blocktimer or cstimer.

7. Micah Walker

Micah Walker Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Ohio
    WCA:
    2015WALK03
    Good luck! stack mats are really annoying for regular practice!

8. Sue Doenim

Sue Doenim Member

Nov 9, 2016
    Here's a super cool idea I just had: have the timer with a built in projector thingy that would show stuff like scrambles, times, statistics and other stuff on the table. That would be crazy awesome.

T1_M0 likes this.
  9. Competition Cuber

Competition Cuber Member

Jun 2, 2017
    Planet Earth
    Speak for yourself.

10. Phinagin

Phinagin Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Canada
    WCA:
    2015PATT04
    Yea I agree, which is why we wanted to make a better timer similar to stackmat functionality, but cubing oriented.

What do you mean by projector? We were planning on adding some of these features in a screen on the timer itself, but a projector could be interesting. Please elaborate more!

11. Sue Doenim

Sue Doenim Member

Nov 9, 2016
    It definitely is a wierd idea, but it could be super cool. The way I was thinking about it, it would project things onto the table in front of it, and basically use that to be able to do stuff like show times, scrambles, statistics, etc.
    Here's my masterpiece (If pasting it in here will work).

Attached Files:

12. Phinagin

Phinagin Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Canada
    WCA:
    2015PATT04
    That would be really cool, although I think that may be beyond the scope of this project, as I have no idea how to even begin with that, but never say never.

CornerCutter likes this.