• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What will the next gen of 4x4's look like?

TheChaiCuber

WCA
2016CHAI03
Most are a lot cheaper than that. If you're willing to wait for shipping from China you can get a good 4x4 for $20 less than that. A good price point for a premium 4x4 in my opinion would be $16-18 right now. When I said 3-5 years I was thinking about the Dayan 2x2. I wonder what the price point would be if Gans ever made a 4x4.
for sure, I actually live in china so all the cubes are so cheap haha. I've actually wondered if gans would ever produce one. they don't seem that interested in it atm though

Dom

WCA
2016DOMI06
YouTube
Visit Channel
On November 24th, Moyu posted the MF4S on their Facebook page. It's 62mm with nice rounded corners of the pieces. It looks cool. I especially like the green internals on the stickerless. I've been waiting for the Cubing Classroom 4x4.
@4Chan, @camcuber:
When will you be carrying this in your stores?
What are your thoughts on this? Is this an improved version of the Yusu R?

Last edited:

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
On November 24th, Moyu posted the MF4S on their Facebook page. It's 62mm with nice rounded corners of the pieces. It looks cool. I especially like the green internals on the stickerless. I've been waiting for the Cubing Classroom 4x4.
@4Chan, @camcuber:
When will you be carrying this in your stores?
What are your thoughts on this? Is this an improved version of the Yusu R?

Unsure, probably soon!

Dom

WCA
2016DOMI06
YouTube
Visit Channel
SZ-444-FeiTeng-mini-03.JPG

This Cyclone Boys 57mm 4x4 was just released. I found a bunch of good photos at the ZCUBE.vip website.
The mechanism looks just like the G4.

Maybe 60mm wasn't small enough. Will the next generation of 4x4's be the same size as the original 3x3's?

(Props to @One Wheel for bringing this up)

Dom

WCA
2016DOMI06
YouTube
Visit Channel
If they released one they would name it the gan462
hopefully, it would be more like GAN460! QiYi made the Wuque 62mm, and a lot of people think they should've made it 60mm. These companies need to realize that most of us like the smaller 4x4's. Take a look at the new Cyclone Boys 4x4. It's 57mm!

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
SZ-444-FeiTeng-mini-03.JPG

This Cyclone Boys 57mm 4x4 was just released. I found a bunch of good photos at the ZCUBE.vip website.
The mechanism looks just like the G4.

Maybe 60mm wasn't small enough. Will the next generation of 4x4's be the same size as the original 3x3's?

(Props to @One Wheel for bringing this up)

I finally got this today, and it's legit. As far as I can tell it is a shrunken G4, with all the good and bad of that. It is stable, ridiculously fast, and slightly catchy. I'm guessing the last one, and possibly two, will decrease with more solves.

As far as size, sure, it would be great for people with small hands, but if a 57mm 3x3 is good for somebody with large hands, do your hands grow because the cube has one more layer? My hands are 9 3/8" thumb to pinkie. The 57mm and 60mm CB 4x4s feel equally good as far as size to me, but my 62mm Aosu is definitely the old clunker of the bunch.

Edit: oh yeah, the stickerless shades are fantastic.

Edit 2: the speed is slowing down. So far the catching isn't. I've gotten a few sub-1:40 singles, I think even a 1:30.xx, which is probably one of my 10 fastest solves ever, but it seems I'm averaging about 1:56 with this vs 1:49 with the G4.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dom

Dom

WCA
2016DOMI06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, after a lot of solves, my 57mm CB Feiteng 4x4 is freaking awesome! I think this could really catch on.

do your hands grow because the cube has one more layer?
I thought about this, but after a lot of solves, I've determined that people with wide fingers might not like this one. For me, it's great because I have shorter fingers that aren't thick, so the thin layers of this cube work out for me. Also, I think it's more comfortable to do wide layer turns so I don't have to strain to reach the other side of the cube. I really do think that if QiYi made a 57mm version of the Wuque, it would easily become many people's favorite. In my opinion.

What do y'all think?
(Oooohh.. that's going in the New Puzzle Hype/Wishlist Thread!)

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I thought about this, but after a lot of solves, I've determined that people with wide fingers might not like this one. For me, it's great because I have shorter fingers that aren't thick, so the thin layers of this cube work out for me. Also, I think it's more comfortable to do wide layer turns so I don't have to strain to reach the other side of the cube.

Hmm. You make a good point. I'll have to break this cube out again and give it a try with that in mind. I have reasonably long and thick fingers. That might be part of the cause of the catching that made me go back to the G4. I can easily do slice moves on the G4, and occasionally on 5x5, but there I usually do something like Rw R' instead, and certainly not slice moves for 6x6 and 7x7.

Dom

WCA
2016DOMI06
YouTube
Visit Channel
@4Chan brought this to my attention:
CtlT2QCVIAAj-BN.jpg

Valk 4

Has anyone heard any details on this? I haven't seen anything on the QiYi Facebook page. And what could it possibly be like? I think that this one would probably be 60mm, since the Valk 3 was a little smaller.