[Help Thread] What sub sets should you learn at what time average?

Discussion in 'Cubing Help & Questions' started by Unorthodox Cuber, May 28, 2017.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Unorthodox Cuber

Unorthodox Cuber Member

Apr 14, 2017
    WCA:
    2017LOPE34
    Back again, I have 1 pll left but right now can you guys rate these r perms?
    Ra R U R' F' R U2 R' U2 R' F R U R U2 R' headlights on left
    Rb R' U2 R U2 R' F R U R' U' R' F' R2 headlights in front
    Anyone have a decent Nb perm as well? Thanks!

2. Malkom

Malkom Member

May 22, 2016
    Sweden
    WCA:
    2016ANDE17
    YouTube:
    channel/UCSCZ2BsupnT5FoxOMNOf_kQ
    I use the same Rperms, they're quite nice. For Nperms I think most people use the RUD alg, I myself prefer the RUF one.

3. Unorthodox Cuber

Unorthodox Cuber Member

Apr 14, 2017
    WCA:
    2017LOPE34
    What is the RUF Nb perm? For Na perm I use R U R' U (Jb perm) U2 R U' R'

4. Malkom

Malkom Member

May 22, 2016
    Sweden
    WCA:
    2016ANDE17
    YouTube:
    R' U R U' R' F' U' F R U R' F R' F' R U' R

5. Unorthodox Cuber

Unorthodox Cuber Member

Apr 14, 2017
    WCA:
    2017LOPE34
    I now average 18 when I try but technically 20 since I'm switching to color neutral and I lose about 2 seconds with pink and orange cross. I'm more so asking about 2x2 this time, but I average low 6 high 5 so should I switch to cll or wait until sub 5?
    And for pyra, top or V? Drew uses top and he is a God a pyra while V first people like Livia, Daniel, and others aren't as fast as him.

CornerCutter likes this.
  6. DGCubes

DGCubes Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Over there
    WCA:
    2013GOOD01
    YouTube:
    DGCubes
    I'm gonna say V. Sure, Drew uses top first, but most other world class Pyraminxers use V-first. V-first is definitely easier (requires next to 0 algs), and personally I feel that it's just better overall. It's quite intuitive and easy to look ahead with.

Underwatercuber and CornerCutter like this.
  7. JustinTimeCuber

JustinTimeCuber Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Webster Groves, MO
    WCA:
    2013BARK01
    Learn CLL, it will make you easily sub-4.5 and with practice you can get down to high 2s.

source: sub 3 2x2 solver

CornerCutter likes this.
  8. Malkom

Malkom Member

May 22, 2016
    Sweden
    WCA:
    2016ANDE17
    YouTube:
    Really? I thought top-first was way more popular than V-first.

9. DGCubes

DGCubes Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Over there
    WCA:
    2013GOOD01
    YouTube:
    DGCubes
    It definitely used to be, but in the past years there's been a huge resurgence of fast V-first users. Of the people with official sub-3 averages, RafaƂ Waryszak, Maciej Czapiewski, Livia Kleiner, myself, Aniket Das, Henry Savich, Ryan Cho, Benjamin Kyle, and quite a few others (those are just some off the top of my head) all use L4E. In Nationals finals this year, I believe there were only two or three top first users. I feel that V-first is definitely getting more popular as time goes on; I haven't met any new Pyraminxers (who started in the past year or two) who use top first.

applezfall and CornerCutter like this.
  10. I like the mirror
    r' D r U2 X5

11. Unorthodox Cuber

Unorthodox Cuber Member

Apr 14, 2017
    WCA:
    2017LOPE34
    I average sub 5 now with only 2 cll algs. Should I switch now or wait till sub 4.5?

12. JustinTimeCuber

JustinTimeCuber Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Webster Groves, MO
    WCA:
    2013BARK01
    Unless you don't have much time, there's no reason not to learn now.

13. Unorthodox Cuber

Unorthodox Cuber Member

Apr 14, 2017
    WCA:
    2017LOPE34
    Thanks all for the replies. In the process of learning CLL and practicing Pyra. Now I'm moving on to the bigger things.
    For 4x4 I average around 1:20 and I want to know how I can get faster. I use 3-2-3 and Yau.
    For megaminx, my first time solve was 5 minutes. I have trouble with last layer so I'm assuming thats what's slowing me down.

14. DhruvA

DhruvA Member

Dec 23, 2016
    WCA:
    2015AROR05
    YouTube:
    D Cuber
    Megaminx Last layer doesn't really matter until you are averaging sub 2.
    I know this guy who uses beginner ll on mega and still averages 1:15.

15. Unorthodox Cuber

Unorthodox Cuber Member

Apr 14, 2017
    WCA:
    2017LOPE34
    OK but the problem is it takes me 3 minutes for ll. I'm working on everything else but I just can't get good at ll

16. qaz

qaz Member

Jul 29, 2013
    WCA:
    2013BROW04
    You could try R U' R' U' R U R D R' U' R D' R' U2 R' for Ra - I prefer it since there's less U2s

17. Unorthodox Cuber

Unorthodox Cuber Member

Apr 14, 2017
    WCA:
    2017LOPE34
    Thanks, but I've learned full PLL and gone through Drew's video and I've found the ones that suit me.