[Help Thread] "What cube should I get?" The Puzzle Choice Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware Area' started by daniel0731ex, Apr 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. ThomasJE

ThomasJE Premium Member

Dec 31, 2011
    England
    YouTube:
    ThomasJECubing
    Pyraminx is a nice puzzle to move on to.

2. cubecraze1

cubecraze1 Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Australia
    WCA:
    2011OMAH01
    YouTube:
    cubecraze1
    buy a 4x4 they are fun make sure you get a good one like sheng shou v3

3. cubeone

cubeone Member

Feb 1, 2012
    My House
    I'm looking to get a 7x7 and the shengshou 7x7 came out not too long ago. For those of you who have the SS 7x7 or similar cubes, would you recommend it over something like the v cube 7x7? I have the SS 5x5 and I am quite pleased with it, though there is a crack in the core. The only v cube I have ever owned was the v cube 2a, and I don't really like the feel of it that well. I have somewhat small hands, and so would the pillowed feature of the v cube be of any use to me if I were to get it? Also, since the SS 7x7 is the only cubic 7x7 on the market that I know of, how would I find replacement stickers for it if I were to get it?

4. xcuber123

xcuber123 Member

Jan 28, 2012
    london
    YouTube:
    xcuber123
    plenty of people have them but it's not a good cube. This is because the hollow corners catch on the centre and lockup. watch crazybadcuber or algorithmists review

5. Amir Nafisi

Amir Nafisi Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Tehran.Iran
    WCA:
    2012NAFI01
    help me to buy master magic & magic

I want to buy a best magic and master magic for our match in Iran then Iran rubikup 2012 (I think Iran open 2012) but idont know which magic and master is better than another and my records and ave in two items.
    magic Rec:1.11 Ave:1.46
    Master Rec:4.34 Ave:6.21
    now ihave a cubetwist magic and its realy a good magic and my master is Qyqi.please help me.

6. benskoning

benskoning Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2011SKON01
    YouTube:
    benskoning
    Get a gojia m and mm there great.

7. iEnjoyCubing

iEnjoyCubing Member

May 27, 2011
    Indiana
    WCA:
    2011VALL01
    Get a Shengshou. As far as stickers go, CubeSmith can provide replacements.

8. mrpotatoman14

mrpotatoman14 Member

May 12, 2011
    North Carolina, USA
    For magic unless your cubetwist breaks just keep it. There's barely any difference in different types of magics if any.

9. MovingOnUp

MovingOnUp Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Over Here
    WCA:
    2011UNKR01
    No one really cares about magic, but if you are hardcore into it, I recommend a ghost hand magic. I own one and a cubetwist and ghost hand seems wayy better. they sell them at icubemart.com if you're looking for somewhere

10. snorri

snorri Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Lubix Zanchi or Dayan Zanchi??

should i buy dayan zanchi and lubricate it with lubix or buy a lubix zanchi???

11. applemobile

applemobile Member

Jan 8, 2012
    exeter uk
    When I first got my lubix zanchi it was awful compared to my worn in standard zanchi. But once worn in its a much better cube. Despite what people say, they do need wearing in.

12. CoryThigpen

CoryThigpen Premium Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Pearland, TX
    WCA:
    2011THIG01
    YouTube:
    TheThigpens
    I will never buy another Lubix cube. The one they sent me was so tight I couldn't even do a double flick with it. It's like they didn't even bothere to try it out after doing their stuff to it. I took it apart, wiped all of the crap off, and tensioned and lubricated myself. Hope this helps.

13. Vipervenom9

Vipervenom9 Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    YouTube:
    Theunsungone
    Def buy the Lubix Zhanchi... they did a great job on mine, tension was perfect, and it was silky smooth turning right outta the box. Also saves you the time of doing the 48 point edge mod urself. Mine Lubix Zhanchi is incredibly fast and has yet to pop once.

14. apoplectic

apoplectic Member

May 29, 2007
    Saint Cloud, FL
    YouTube:
    Apoplectic1
    I'd say get just a DaYan Zhanchi, that way you can break it in easier if you want, mod it easier if you want (I'd assume trying to dremel a lubed cube makes things harder with it slipping out of your hands, etc.), then lube it with whatever you want (why get a Lubix one if you prefer silicone?).

15. retep

retep Member

Lol really? Mine was extremely loose (I tried pulling on the sides to see what the tension was like and pulled out 3 pieces together on one side lol). It was also gummy at first (it was over lubed, but that is typicaly, and actually good imo). It just needed some breaking in and was excellent. However, I am not entirely sure it was worth the price.

IMO you are almost guaranteed a good quality cube and job done, however the cost isn't worth it (like I said, imo). You can get a cheaper cube and lube it yourself, just takes a bit more time (you can also mod if you wish). Basically it comes down to how valuable your time is / how concerned you are with the cost...

16. Ninja Storm

Ninja Storm Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Maryland
    WCA:
    2012ELLI01
    YouTube:
    crazyninja300
    Dayan Zhanchi. If you're new, go with the toolbox cube. Do the mods yourself, it's good practice.

17. Jus1201

Jus1201 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Overland Park, KS
    I am looking for a 3x3 that is fas but has bad corner cutting so i can get more accurate with my turning.
    Any suggestions?

18. Datak

Datak Member

Aug 20, 2011
    WCA:
    2010ATAK01
    Dont get the zhanchis, they really suck and they always pop

19. maderito

maderito Member

Oct 28, 2011
    New Haven, CT
    Wow - lots of divergent opinions on this one.

I have both - the Lubix and non-Lubix Zhanchi. The Lubix was "pre-tensioned" and, of course lubricated. It really is much better than my original Zhanchi, which is still quite excellent, but now feeling its age - gummy and sluggish. I was VERY impressed with the Lubix Zhanchi after being more than satisfied with my first Zhanchi. I only bought the second to have a "spare" in case something happened -- but it's now become my main cube.

I suspect any Zhanchi that is properly cleaned, tensioned and lubricated will be excellent. However, it takes some know-how to properly tension and lubricate the cube - thus the advantage (and extra cost) of the Lubix version.