What are Some Cubing Apps You Want to See?

Discussion in 'Software Area' started by TheoreticallySpooked, Jul 19, 2017.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. TheoreticallySpooked

TheoreticallySpooked Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    YouTube:
    itzryan17
    Hi! I'm a software developer (currently on vacation), and I've been looking for ideas to make when I get home in a few days. What are some ideas you would want to see become a reality? There's no bar set, so ideas can be anything from a visible scrambler to a "Just as the SD card runs out simulator" game. Thanks!

FastCubeMaster likes this.
  2. jfly

jfly Member

Aug 23, 2008
    California
    WCA:
    2005FLEI01
    YouTube:
    jflysohigh
  3. TheoreticallySpooked

Jul 15, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    YouTube:
    itzryan17
    I wasn't even aware WCA had a software team! Thanks!

4. efattah

efattah Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Tons of things are needed.

1. Method of generating algorithms that automatically generates RrUM or LlUM without having to use complex spreadsheet filters
    2. Method of forcing cube explorer to allow slice moves but only M slice and not E or S
    3. Custom scramble generator that actually WORKS, that allows you to generate scrambles for partial sections of the cube (existing ones don't work for many situations)
    4. Algorithm generator that has 'A.I.' to calculate how 'finger trick friendly' an algorithm is
    5. Algorithm generator that can cause rotations to be part of the algorithm, i.e. the cube ends up naturally rotated at the end of the algorithm without actually doing any rotations
    There's more, I can't recall all right now.

#4 especially. The number of hours cubers spend trying to find replacement algorithms for 'bad' cases is ridiculous and even then there are better 'unknown' solutions that haven't been found.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    TheoreticallySpooked likes this.
  5. TheoreticallySpooked

Jul 15, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    YouTube:
    itzryan17
    Interesting! For #4, what basis would I go off of for fingertrick friendliness? A lot of R/L turns require the entire hand (for me at least) so could I partially use that as a basis?

Also, I don't understand what RrUM and LlUM means. Is that just 3x3 notation or something else?

Thanks!

6. FJT97

FJT97 Member

Apr 3, 2013
    WCA:
    2012THIE01
    I would take regripping as a basis. For example to see if the algorithm has more than two R turns before there is an R'. If so, you would need to regrip. And of course it shouldn't be many B turns or wide turns or rotations. But: Sometimes rotations aren't that bad for algs. I don't think theres an alg generator out there which includes rotations as a thing to make the algorithm nicer, that would be cool.

7. bcube

bcube Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Hello,

Web-based puzzle simulators with specific properties. Not sure if it falls into "cubing apps" sort of things, though.

8. Benjamin Warry

Benjamin Warry Member

Jul 20, 2017
    near Brisbane
    What about an alg calculator? I've noticed that when people come up with new ideas for methods they often don't know how many cases or algs are needed . It might be something as simple as entering how many corners and edges need to be solved. But I'm sure it would help out!☺ ☺ ☺

DGCubes likes this.
  9. LlUM means left, wide left, up and middle and RrUM means right, wide right, up, middle.
    Only those faces are turned during the algorithm

10. Teoidus

Teoidus Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Char
    Alg Explorer might be good for you.

11. TheChaiCuber

TheChaiCuber Member

Sep 30, 2015
    San Francisco
    WCA:
    2016CHAI03
    I'm a simple man, twisttheweb/cubingtime type group room timer in an app. optimized for mobile that way.

12. I_<3_SCS

I_<3_SCS Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Potland, Colorado
    Maybe some sort of CUBE PRICING APP that can CHECK ALL THE STORES for the LOWEST PRICES???!!!

I don't know, just a SUGGESTION!!!!

13. That already kind of exists, cubealot but it might be nice as an app though

14. Mastermind2368

Mastermind2368 Member

Dec 19, 2016
    Home
    WCA:
    2015FOXC01
    YouTube:
    MASTERMIND2368
    I think an Algdb.Net for mobile would be cool and maybe something about it reminding you to learn an alg. I know I have thought of more from a long time ago, I can try to tell you when I remember them.

cuber314159 likes this.
  15. Malkom

Malkom Member

May 22, 2016
    Sweden
    WCA:
    2016ANDE17
    YouTube:
    channel/UCSCZ2BsupnT5FoxOMNOf_kQ
    Megaminx PLL trainer