We need better judges.

Discussion in 'WCA Regulations' started by Mastermind2368, May 15, 2017.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Strongly disagree

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  2. Disagree

13 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. Don't care

19 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. Agree

32 vote(s)
    36.4%
  5. Strongly agree.

19 vote(s)
    21.6%
  1. Competition Cuber

Competition Cuber Member

Jun 2, 2017
    Planet Earth
    Me.

2. Mastermind2368

Mastermind2368 Member

Dec 19, 2016
    Home
    WCA:
    2015FOXC01
    YouTube:
    MASTERMIND2368
    Its been suggested before and it seems to be all we can do other then having a paper telling the basics. I also think that as somebody hinted at this, once you have about 5-7 good judges who go to lots of the comps in the area, they can try finding someone to start training till we have 30+ people who would be of being staff at a big comp.

3. However if you have a group of people who are the judges for competitions then they feel abliged to judge, I like the fact that at comps I can judge when I don't feel like practising and not all the time, I think that it would be a good idea to have a sheet telling you how to judge a solve properly but not to discourage people from judging

4. Mastermind2368

Mastermind2368 Member

Dec 19, 2016
    Home
    WCA:
    2015FOXC01
    YouTube:
    MASTERMIND2368
    Well it will would be more of a thing of wanting to help if they got to that level. You would get to a level where you love the community so much that you want to. There will always be the people like you and tbh sometimes me, who help out some, but don't devote them selves to it, and that's fine. The sheet I was talking about is a thing over hear where I live.

5. Kit Clement

Kit Clement Premium Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Portland, OR
    WCA:
    2008CLEM01
    YouTube:
    KitClement
    This honestly fixes 90% of the issues with poor judging quality. I used to teach new judges on the spot, and there's always something you'll miss. If you just hold 3x3 first thing in the morning, nearly everyone will be there, and you can teach everyone in one go, and have much higher quality judging.

Competitors don't have an option to not judge if they are asked to do so. If holding a judge training session doesn't create enough volunteer judges, which it almost always does, that doesn't mean you can't enlist more people to help.

Ollie likes this.
  6. Mastermind2368

Mastermind2368 Member

Dec 19, 2016
    Home
    WCA:
    2015FOXC01
    YouTube:
    MASTERMIND2368
    Sure you can make them help, but are they gonna be as good as if they volunteered. If it was just randomly asking them, they won't be, but if you do the thing where you judge for each round you compete, I think that most of them will be good enough.

7. ThisBoi

ThisBoi Member

Aug 10, 2017
    I once had a judge who told me i dint reach cutoff and then i went back to my table and everyone was like WhY dId YouU LEaVE

Malkom and JustinTimeCuber like this.
  8. ComputerGuy365

ComputerGuy365 Member

Aug 16, 2013
    New York
    WCA:
    2013ZWER01
    Only so much can be done about it. Judges are often just volunteers. I agree that a seminar at the beginning of every comp would be good.

Another option is to have "staff", who are trained. The type of thing that is at nats and worlds. I guess their compensation could be competing for free?